Sat 26-Sun 27 Jun: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

There’s over 2,000 tickets sold as of yesterday morning with a fairly large contingent from Town travelling down. 

Glad to hear there’s a decent crowd expected. I’m making the trip down from Workington myself but you do wonder if the game being put on our league will have deterred a few folk travelling down from our end.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Yes Barrow have done very well but their local council has helped them by letting them have a 3,000 capacity in the ground, which isn’t far off maximum capacity.

Town are having their best start to a season for a few years but the local council have restricted the capacity to 995 in a 10,000 capacity stadium for some reason. Doesn’t make sense that one club can have 90% capacity but another just 10% depending on geography, but it is what it is.

I don’t know Craven Park’s official capacity pre COVID but I’m fairly sure the ground can hold a lot more than 4K Derwent? Maybe H & S reduced it as the roofs came down?

The club are self generating good money atm with the fan zone & while it’s making hay during the Euros it will continue to be used for RL & other functions in the future & the club can rebuild quickly from it.

on to the game With Barrows injury list makes it a leveller so no idea who will win on the day & if 2k plus turn up that brilliant fir L1 

36 minutes ago, mickmike wilson said:

I don’t know Craven Park’s official capacity pre COVID but I’m fairly sure the ground can hold a lot more than 4K Derwent? Maybe H & S reduced it as the roofs came down?

The club are self generating good money atm with the fan zone & while it’s making hay during the Euros it will continue to be used for RL & other functions in the future & the club can rebuild quickly from it.

on to the game With Barrows injury list makes it a leveller so no idea who will win on the day & if 2k plus turn up that brilliant fir L1 

According to the club website the capacity of Craven Park is now just 3,000.

Barrow and Town have both been very proactive in generating revenue recently. Town have a 50m x 30m marquee in place behind the grandstand that has been making good money for the club as a bar/beer garden/big screen events place. 

Also holding events like this regularly…

https://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Workington/Workington-Town-Rugby-League-Football-Club-Ltd/England-V-Germany/35845256/

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

According to the club website the capacity of Craven Park is now just 3,000.

Barrow and Town have both been very proactive in generating revenue recently. Town have a 50m x 30m marquee in place behind the grandstand that has been making good money for the club as a bar/beer garden/big screen events place. 

Also holding events like this regularly…

https://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Workington/Workington-Town-Rugby-League-Football-Club-Ltd/England-V-Germany/35845256/

Interestingly Derwent, the last safety visits to both Craven Park and Derwent Park by the council give the maximum capacities as 2861 and 4988. Probably explains our COVID limit of almost 1000 but not Barrows when it’s near full capacity for their safety certificate.

20 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Half time in Llanelli, West Wales 0 - 26 Hunslet

First half hattrick for Duane Straugheir

Another high scoring defeat on the cards, West Wales have not moved forward in 3 or 4 seasons, I don't know how the lads can keep turning out week after week only to be tonked, credit to all of them but it doesn't look good on the League and the semi pro game  IMO. 

34 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Another high scoring defeat on the cards, West Wales have not moved forward in 3 or 4 seasons, I don't know how the lads can keep turning out week after week only to be tonked, credit to all of them but it doesn't look good on the League and the semi pro game  IMO. 

It didn't turn out as bad as you feared. Both sides got 12 points in the second half - full time West Wales 12 - 38 Hunslet

2 hours ago, IanMac said:

Interestingly Derwent, the last safety visits to both Craven Park and Derwent Park by the council give the maximum capacities as 2861 and 4988. Probably explains our COVID limit of almost 1000 but not Barrows when it’s near full capacity for their safety certificate.

Barrow's usual capacity is around 7500. It was reduced before Covid due to crash barrier issues I think, but work has since been done at the ground which is why we have been given a Covid capacity of 3200.

41 minutes ago, Bring back GB said:

Barrow's usual capacity is around 7500. It was reduced before Covid due to crash barrier issues I think, but work has since been done at the ground which is why we have been given a Covid capacity of 3200.

Just quoting off the official safety certificate mate from 2019. If you’ve got a covid capacity of 3200 you’ve done really well especially as it excceeds what was given as maximum capacity on that certificate. Wish we could manage to increase ours from 950 given the size of the ground. Hopefully a good crowd and a good game tomorrow and boost Cumbrian rugby league. 

I know this sounds bizarre but there is no official capacity of Craven Park, Barrow. The Ground Safety Certificate only gives a capacity for the regulated stands which is the main grandstand and Clive Street Terrace. 

For COVID in the grandstand we assumed bubbles of an average of 4 people and then had a seat gap and missed whole rows. In reality we could have a school with 30 pupils in a bubble (which we do) so we could go above that capacity.

Similarly for the terracing we had to calculate the surface area and made the assumption that every single person was social distancing from every other and got a total COVID capacity of 2900. However, the bookings could well come in bubbles of much bigger size which would allow us to have a bigger attendance. It is a judgement call from the ground safety officer. Bearing in mind in the dim and distant past the very same terracing has housed 21,000 we are pretty confident that we can socially distance the absolute maximum from the government of 4000.

BarrowRaiders-TheMan-1.png

10 hours ago, the man said:

I know this sounds bizarre but there is no official capacity of Craven Park, Barrow. The Ground Safety Certificate only gives a capacity for the regulated stands which is the main grandstand and Clive Street Terrace. 

For COVID in the grandstand we assumed bubbles of an average of 4 people and then had a seat gap and missed whole rows. In reality we could have a school with 30 pupils in a bubble (which we do) so we could go above that capacity.

Similarly for the terracing we had to calculate the surface area and made the assumption that every single person was social distancing from every other and got a total COVID capacity of 2900. However, the bookings could well come in bubbles of much bigger size which would allow us to have a bigger attendance. It is a judgement call from the ground safety officer. Bearing in mind in the dim and distant past the very same terracing has housed 21,000 we are pretty confident that we can socially distance the absolute maximum from the government of 4000.

Below is a quote from Cumbria County Council annual report from January this year, certainly seems to give a maximum capacity for the ground safety certificate. The whole covid regs re crowds just seem bizarre, our main stand holds 978, the enclosure 540 and the popular side 2640 and yet can only have 950. The financial implications of covid for the sport have been serious yet 2 grounds administered by the same council have widely differing interpretations allowing one club to benefit from a far greater number of supporters than another. Hopefully won’t be too long before it’s business as usual.
“Craven Park has three regulated stands. The Main stand with a maximum capacity of 766, the Hindpool Road Terrace stand with a maximum capacity of 678 and the Clive Street Terrace stand with a maximum capacity of 497. Its maximum capacity is 2861.”

Whatever the Councils have alloted it is done and gone. You Cumbrian teams can really bring League 1 to the fore today and have a crowd figure rivaling the SL. It is the game of the season to date, enjoy the moment and be grateful we have reached the point that any  crowds are allowed back to the game. As for the result, it's anyone's guess, Barrow seem to have an injury crisis and this could be a real leveller today. I'd say there will be more fans at other  L1 clubs with their eyes on this game more than their own. 

Credit to WWR this week, I think most people would have expected Hunslet to blow them off the park. As it is, Hunslet's wobbly start continues and don't think they'll be in the mix end of the season...

...all I need now is for Cru to turn over Hornets and it'll be a fair weekend 😉

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

17 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

As it is, Hunslet's wobbly start continues and don't think they'll be in the mix end of the season...

Me neither. While a draw was a relief in the end for us last week it wasn't the result we wanted pre match and the players seemed pretty disappointed with their performance. I'm hoping for a reaction today against Coventry but I'd be relieved with 2 points however they come.

Archived