Sat 26-Sun 27 Jun: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, mickmike wilson said:

Cracking Cumbrian Derby ends all square which is fair enough on the balance of play.

attendance a stonkingly good 3,146…

Good following from town but I don’t know how many, Hats of to them.

Bears best team in the first half. Donny were fired up for the second half. I know I am biased but the ref gave  2  iffy tries to Doncaster. A very very late shot on the Bears half went unpunished and I cannot count the number of times the Bears were penalised for 6 to go. 

I have a very sour taste in my mouth tonight. I try not to criticise te match officials but....

The truth probably is that the best team won but.....

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

24 minutes ago, mickmike wilson said:

Cracking Cumbrian Derby ends all square which is fair enough on the balance of play.

attendance a stonkingly good 3,146…

Good following from town but I don’t know how many, Hats of to them.

Barrow’s biggest attendance for 12 years apparently since they played Wigan at home in the cup.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

34-22 to Cougars in the end. I’m really pleased with how competitive our squad is becoming and how we’ve not self destructed when falling behind (a feature at the start of the season). 

So. Next week marks the halfway point of the season and the top 2 teams play each other. Apart from postponed games everyone will have played each other. Next week's game is massive. After it Doncaster will have another away game at London then a long run of games at the Keepmoat. Whoever wins next week has a very good chance of finishing top.

29 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

So. Next week marks the halfway point of the season and the top 2 teams play each other. Apart from postponed games everyone will have played each other. Next week's game is massive. After it Doncaster will have another away game at London then a long run of games at the Keepmoat. Whoever wins next week has a very good chance of finishing top.

I said this a couple of weeks ago but, while there are clear gaps between clubs, the league is much more competitive than I expected. Even WWR aren’t getting hammered each and every week like I thought they would and, if I am honest, we’re (Skolars) performing much better than I expected from the opening rounds. 

I really like L1! 

11 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

I believe Rob we have Hornets and WWR away from home after the Skolars (stand to be corrected)  I just hope our home form is something like.

“It is not revenge we want for poor people, but happiness; indeed, what revenge can be taken for all the thousands of years of the sufferings of the poor?”

1 hour ago, FearNothing said:

D|onny do the Bears and looks like they'll go top today.... and we lose a bit of a try-fest to Hornets 😞

7 tries to 5, to be pedantic. Something's got to be done about our defence, but the big question is whether we'll be allowed to actually watch the Cru in person next week!

19 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

If you beat Barrow we will have a 3 way tie at the top as Town are at home to West Wales. If you and Town both win then the 3 teams will all have 7 wins, 1 loss and 1 draw.

If you lose to Barrow then you’ll slip down to 3rd, that’s how close it is.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I still think if Barrow can get get a win out of the next 2 games while being under strength then they will be in a good place with Jarrad Stack, Declan Hulme, Ben Harrison, Gary Wheeler, Jordan Walne, Hakim Moulidi and Ryan Shaw all to come back into their a starting 17 at the business end of the season. 

That's formidable group out injured in this league. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

I still think if Barrow can get get a win out of the next 2 games while being under strength then they will be in a good place with Jarrad Stack, Declan Hulme, Ben Harrison, Gary Wheeler, Jordan Walne, Hakim Moulidi and Ryan Shaw all to come back into their a starting 17 at the business end of the season. 

Barrow are still the favorites who ever they put out on the field. That group will only make them even more odds on for promotion.

“It is not revenge we want for poor people, but happiness; indeed, what revenge can be taken for all the thousands of years of the sufferings of the poor?”

4 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Indeed , I still think they’re the benchmark . 

12 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

7 tries to 5, to be pedantic. Something's got to be done about our defence, but the big question is whether we'll be allowed to actually watch the Cru in person next week!

Check Crusaders FB page Steve, there’s an announcement in next two days

32 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I said this a couple of weeks ago but, while there are clear gaps between clubs, the league is much more competitive than I expected. Even WWR aren’t getting hammered each and every week like I thought they would and, if I am honest, we’re (Skolars) performing much better than I expected from the opening rounds. 

I really like L1! 

The league gets better every year. West Wales are slowly getting there and we’ve got some bloody good teams in the mix. Very entertaining.

5 minutes ago, clwydianrange said:

The league gets better every year. West Wales are slowly getting there and we’ve got some bloody good teams in the mix. Very entertaining.

It’s a subject for another thread but really, regardless of Sky money, could we not make L1 - the only really national RL league self sufficient. It’s a fantastic mix of great traditional clubs, established newbies like us and real newbies like the Bears. So much scope too: get Hemel and All Golds back, bent Belgrade and even New York in! (Hey, I can dream). 

Archived