Thu 24 Jun: SL: Warrington Wolves v Leigh Centurions KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Leigh Centurions

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/06/21 at 19:15

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

So ignorance of the meaning of the word  on the part of the listener means the speaker must have petrol poured over him and set alight? What a bizarre position.

John, its not worth debating with you when you use phrases like the petrol point. 

That is designed to stunt debate and I'm not interested. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I believe Beaumont only got to see the last 20mins of the game. As he spent the day doing “Daz type adverts” knocking on people’s doors around Leigh handing back fan’s their season ticket money. 

He must have missed my house, how so very drool, is that the best you've got Josef

Poor victims once again attacking the fact there may be repercussions for using terms like this. 

What is the proposed cutoff? Should there never be repercussions for saying anything? 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No, I don't accept there are two meanings. 

If people can show clear examples of where this phrase has been used referring to strong dogs go for it, otherwise people are making it up. 

So you think that Mr Price considered what he was saying and used the term to actually discriminate?

I am so glad I don't live in your world Dave, it must be hard work with all that spent up anger and frustration you portray.

Poor victims once again attacking the fact there may be repercussions for using terms like this. 

What is the proposed cutoff? Should there never be repercussions for saying anything? 

Yes but under consideration, not condemning everything instantaneously and  immediatley that it has been delivered with malice, as seems to be your want.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

John, its not worth debating with you when you use phrases like the petrol point. 

That is designed to stunt debate and I'm not interested. 

Its not a debate though. Some people have made up their minds that he's being offensive whatever the evidence to the opposite. 

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So you think that Mr Price considered what he was saying and used the term to actually discriminate?

I am so glad I don't live in your world Dave, it must be hard work with all that spent up anger and frustration you portray.

No frustration here Harry, no more than you are demonstrating when disagreeing with others, it's a debate.

I am perfectly comfortable with not just shrugging when people use phrases like this.

Especially against the context of Warrington Wolves being an important part of the community and an important player in the PDRL and LDRL  world.  That can't be ignored.

It’s a good job some of you didn’t watch Blazing Saddles on BBC4 last night as your heads would be exploding this morning!

If the term isn’t used here much anymore how would he know it’s derogatory? What are people supposed to do, go through the dictionary and check all the words that may have a dodgy meaning years ago and then check all the words used in the country you’re from to ensure they aren’t offensive??

It’s no different to an english heavy smoker saying I could murder a fag whilst in the US!!

Some people need to get off their constantly offended high horse and use some common sense, to know he wasn’t calling him as strong as someone with Down’s Syndrome. 

9 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Its not a debate though. Some people have made up their minds that he's being offensive whatever the evidence to the opposite. 

It is a debate, no matter what you say.

People are allowed to make their minds up, you aren't exactly demonstrating an open mind here at all John. I have asked for those claiming that he meant dogs to provide an example of people using "strength of a mongrel dog" as a saying. A I said earlier, I've heard of strength of an ox. But those claiming this was about a dog are not forthcoming with any examples. In fact, they are just attacking those who are not happy with the phrase.

24 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That is designed to stunt debate

I've now found two phrases that I'll put on the end of threads and this one is just the job too, thanks Dave.

BTW There's a lot of it about!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

You’re taking it as strength as in physical…there are other strengths such as characteristic ones. The term a mongrel was used to mean someone who fought like a mongrel dog i.e. they were often small and scruffy however when in a fight would be as hard as a Rottweiler and never back down.

3 minutes ago, B1971 said:

It’s a good job some of you didn’t watch Blazing Saddles on BBC4 last night as your heads would be exploding this morning!

I think you've probably missed the point Mel Brooks was making with that film

I can't help but think that some people in today's society would be constantly offended if they were in sports team environments, or at least very shocked as to some of the stuff that goes on or is said.

Im sure Steve Price doesn't roam the streets of Warrington pointing at disabled people and calling them mongs yet players and coaches are expected to take interviews straight after games when addrenelin and emotions are still running high and then people lose it when they use some "industrial" language that would usually be resticted to the dressing room.

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I have asked for those claiming that he meant dogs to provide an example of people using "strength of a mongrel dog"

So you must really believe the picture in Mr Prices mind when delivering that terminology was of a person with Downs Syndrome, perhaps it was the vision you immediately saw in your minds eye, if that is the case you must live life on the defensive all the time, I can think of no other reason you need clarification that the term used requires examples to prove you correct. 

2 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I can't help but think that some people in today's society would be constantly offended if they were in sports team environments, or at least very shocked as to some of the stuff that goes on or is said.

Im sure Steve Price doesn't roam the streets of Warrington pointing at disabled people and calling them mongs yet players and coaches are expected to take interviews straight after games when addrenelin and emotions are still running high and then people lose it when they use some "industrial" language that would usually be resticted to the dressing room.

It’s not okay language to use whether there’s adrenaline, emotion or not and it’s still not okay in a dressing room. 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

So you must really believe the picture in Mr Prices mind when delivering that terminology was of a person with Downs Syndrome, perhaps it was the vision you immediately saw in your minds eye, if that is the case you must live life on the defensive all the time, I can think of no other reason you need clarification that the term used requires examples to prove you correct. 

No. I don't accept that the use of the phrase was casual is a defence. 

The point I am making is pretty simple. There are some claiming that he is misunderstood and he was referring to the strength of a dog. I have done searches on phrases with mongrel in and can't see a single thing about that. It doesn't seem to be a saying, so I'm interested in how these people are claiming it was about a dog's strength.

If you do a search for mong strength though, that is a different story.

7 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

You've got it wrong Oxy, Mr Price scripted his speech prior to the interview and asked Jenna to point a certain question in his direction so he could deliver it, sounds daft doesn't it, but no dafter to me than those who want to blow it up all out of proportion.

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

It might not be ok but you can guarentee it is happening at every Rugby League club in the country.

I think this is the first time I have heard an offensive phrase like this used by a head coach live on national TV, although I don't watch and listen to every interview. 

Whether bad things are said in other situations are not that important to this discussion, but even if we did factor them in, I find it odd that it could be used against those who are appalled by the comment.

No. I don't accept that the use of the phrase was casual is a defence. 

The point I am making is pretty simple. There are some claiming that he is misunderstood and he was referring to the strength of a dog. I have done searches on phrases with mongrel in and can't see a single thing about that. It doesn't seem to be a saying, so I'm interested in how these people are claiming it was about a dog's strength.

If you do a search for mong strength though, that is a different story.

I have heard the word Mongrel used before, especially in Australia, as in 'he's got a bit of mongrel about him' (used to describe a niggly tough player) I've probably used that myself, I have never however heard the word 'Mong' used as an abbreviation or to refer to strength.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You've got it wrong Oxy, Mr Price scripted his speech prior to the interview and asked Jenna to point a certain question in his direction so he could deliver it, sounds daft doesn't it, but no dafter to me than those who want to blow it up all out of proportion.

So what do you think should happen Harry? You are saying it is being blown out of proportion, so I am interested in where you stand here. Do you think it's fine and we just crack on and ignore it, an apology, a fine, a sacking, prison, hanging, where are you on the scale?

Archived