Thu 24 Jun: SL: Warrington Wolves v Leigh Centurions KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Leigh Centurions

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/06/21 at 19:15

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

I have heard the word Mongrel used before, especially in Australia, as in 'he's got a bit of mongrel about him' (used to describe a niggly tough player) I've probably used that myself, I have never however heard the word 'Mong' used as an abbreviation or to refer to strength.

Yes, that is the only use I could think of, but it's quite different to this one.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I think this is the first time I have heard an offensive phrase like this used by a head coach live on national TV, although I don't watch and listen to every interview. 

Whether bad things are said in other situations are not that important to this discussion, but even if we did factor them in, I find it odd that it could be used against those who are appalled by the comment.

The problem is he has made a mistake and people sound like they want him hung. People are brought up in different times and this modern era where nothing can be said without causing offence I liken to the spear tackle, in the 90's-00's players were taught to tackle legs and lift and now we have a generation of players who have basically been taught how to spear tackle and we complain when it happens in games so often. They have habits that were ok in the past and are now no longer acceptable yet they are expected to change over night.

Away from the PC nonsense and wokeness, what about the game? Not looking good for Leigh. I was listening to Wigan game as it blanked out the pain in my arthritic joints. Based on last night's game, can anyone see Leigh staving off relegation? 

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

The problem is he has made a mistake and people sound like they want him hung. People are brought up in different times and this modern era where nothing can be said without causing offence I liken to the spear tackle, in the 90's-00's players were taught to tackle legs and lift and now we have a generation of players who have basically been taught how to spear tackle and we complain when it happens in games so often. They have habits that were ok in the past and are now no longer acceptable yet they are expected to change over night.

Steve Price is the same age as me, not a 95 year old stuck in his ways.

5 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

It might not be ok but you can guarentee it is happening at every Rugby League club in the country.

And Football, *Cricket, Union, Darts and Dominoes, Lacrosse, Show Jumping, Curling etc, etc, and in 99.9% of cases it will be banter with no malice attached.

*Hela have you ever played any organised cricket? Don't bother if you haven't The "Sledging" would have you all in a tizzy - is it OK to say "tizzy"?

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And Football, *Cricket, Union, Darts and Dominoes, Lacrosse, Show Jumping, Curling etc, etc, and in 99.9% of cases it will be banter with no malice attached.

*Hela have you ever played any organised cricket? Don't bother if you haven't The "Sledging" would have you all in a tizzy - is it OK to say "tizzy"?

And kids sport its even more rife and it makes it worse that you are not even allowed to give them a crack round the head anymore so they get away with saying what they want.

2 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

And kids sport its even more rife and it makes it worse that you are not even allowed to give them a crack round the head anymore so they get away with saying what they want.

Careful Oxy, the PC special constable's will be reporting you to the authorities for suggestions such as that.

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, that is the only use I could think of, but it's quite different to this one.

Yep I agree, Ive never heard the word 'mong' in this context, so these anti woke (whatever the word woke means, Ive never had it explained properly by people that use it) do they think its fine to just say whatever they want without consequence?

13 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Away from the PC nonsense and wokeness, what about the game? Not looking good for Leigh. I was listening to Wigan game as it blanked out the pain in my arthritic joints. Based on last night's game, can anyone see Leigh staving off relegation? 

Political

24 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Harry, I know a lad who plays for the Saints LDRL side, I know of another lad who is doing a lot for the Steve Prescott charity this summer and in my first job I worked out the back of a well known supermarket and we had a lad moved to our “team” on the days we worked because he’d suffered bullying from other colleagues who used the same language Price used last night. 

The lad has learning difficulties and is the same age as me. He was visibly timid and scared being moved into another group of lads who had worked together for a while, was all similar ages and had good relationships and banter between us. It took him ages to really speak to us, he was scared to make a mistake around us and was scared to ask for help, fearing the same reaction he’d got working different days with different people at our place. We had to help him quite a bit in the early days with us. He eventually come out of his shell after about six months, perhaps once he realised he could trust us and we weren’t going to reprimand or mock him to his face or behind his back.

Our little squad of lads decided we’d go out one night on our night off to watch some football at a pub. We invited the lad, half expecting him not to want to come in all honesty despite him being a big Everton fan and he was clearly uneasy about agreeing but we offered to pick him up, take him home and speak to his mum if he wanted. He came out with us and we had a good night. A few days later, the group of lads, barring the lad with learning difficulties, were all called into see the management. The store manager and our manager was there along with the lads mum. I have to admit, I feared the worst, I feared we’d upset him in some way but actually she come in to say how thankful she was that he had us around him and that she wanted to thank us personally for working with him, helping him and taking him out with us. The lad still works in the supermarket and I pop in to see him when he’s on shift over ten years on to say hello and ask how he is. 

Those lads who bullied him first of all? They claimed it was “banter” and “a laugh”. 

I know what’s “banter”, I know sledging and I am partial to joining into workplace banter and banter between mates but I know the difference between right and wrong. 

18 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Not unless they find a good halfback or 2 and stop their fullback throwing passes into the stand.

Just as an afterthought, I think I was 16 (pre 1970) and working at a Factory in Skemersdale doing some maintenance work when I first heard a female use course and offensive language, I must have stood there jaw dropped in complete silence for about 15 seconds not believing what I heard, now it is common place for young girls (and boys) to come out with all sorts of expletives not quietly but very audible shouted across the streets or as I witnessed the other day on a bus full of school children I had the misfortune to board coming out of Manchester, but this is seemingly very acceptable these days along with parents using it as a matter of speech to their kids, I must say I am quite happy I wasn't born any later, it is unimaginable to be what the world will be like in 30 to 50 years hence.

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Political

I apologise. Mea Culpa.Reading 70% of the previous posts I thought i WAS on the political sub forum. 

In my previous post I asked about the game but it seems no one is interested, adding further to my thinking I was on the political sub forum. 

22 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

He probably thinks we were meant to laugh with Alf Garnett not at him.

Yeah I’m a racist bigot and the farce of the racism used in Blazing Saddles and it’s comedy due to its complete absurdity was lost on me.

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

I apologise. Mea Culpa.Reading 70% of the previous posts I thought i WAS on the political sub forum. 

In my previous post I asked about the game but it seems no one is interested, adding further to my thinking I was on the political sub forum. 

Just an observation - you're happy to make Political comments, but not debate them, some would call that trolling.  Like I said just an observation.

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Harry, I know a lad who plays for the Saints LDRL side, I know of another lad who is doing a lot for the Steve Prescott charity this summer and in my first job I worked out the back of a well known supermarket and we had a lad moved to our “team” on the days we worked because he’d suffered bullying from other colleagues who used the same language Price used last night. 

The lad has learning difficulties and is the same age as me. He was visibly timid and scared being moved into another group of lads who had worked together for a while, was all similar ages and had good relationships and banter between us. It took him ages to really speak to us, he was scared to make a mistake around us and was scared to ask for help, fearing the same reaction he’d got working different days with different people at our place. We had to help him quite a bit in the early days with us. He eventually come out of his shell after about six months, perhaps once he realised he could trust us and we weren’t going to reprimand or mock him to his face or behind his back.

Our little squad of lads decided we’d go out one night on our night off to watch some football at a pub. We invited the lad, half expecting him not to want to come in all honesty and he was clearly uneasy about agreeing but we offered to pick him up, take him home and speak to his mum if he wanted. He came out with us and we had a good night. A few days later, the group of lads, barring the lad with learning difficulties, were all called into see the management. The store manager and our manager was there along with the lads mum. I have to admit, I feared the worst, I feared we’d upset him in some way but actually she come in to say how thankful she was that he had us around him and that she wanted to thank us personally for working with him, helping him and taking him out with us. The lad still works in the supermarket and I pop in to see him when he’s on shift over ten years on to say hello and ask how he is. 

Those lads who bullied him first of all? They claimed it was “banter” and “a laugh”. 

I know what’s “banter”, I know sledging and I am partial to joining into workplace banter and banter between mates but I know the difference between right and wrong. 

All very commendable Hela and thank you for sharing, but I cannot see the connection with your story and Mr Price's interview last evening, I honestly can't believe that he would purposefully use a phrase or word in the context of upsetting someone or group of people, suggesting that he explains himself to such an extent as is being suggested, some people must actually believe he set out to hurt.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

All very commendable Hela and thank you for sharing, but I cannot see the connection with your story and Mr Price's interview last evening, I honestly can't believe that he would purposefully use a phrase or word in the context of upsetting someone or group of people, suggesting that he explains himself to such an extent as is being suggested, some people must actually believe he set out to hurt.

The outcome is important though Harry. If he had told a little racist joke, one that containd the N or P word maybe - just a joke, nowt too serious, or meant to offend, just a bit of a laugh - what would you say?

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Sorry John, I did get sidetracked I must admit.

As a Leigh Fan, never at any stage from the announcement being made that Leigh were the "Chosen" one did I ever believe we would escape relegation this term, actually I am 11/24ths into my prediction before a ball was kicked that we would not win a game this season, albeit it is a prediction where I would like to be wrong.

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I missed this match but I see Wire won quite easily with Widdop scoring 20 points . I hope he maintains his form to the end of the season and gets in the squad 

Limped off with a knee injury, that happened when leigh made their last break to score,  I'm hoping it isn't too bad.

12 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Here in Warrington at the match with the wife and my 12 year old.

* Well done Leigh its hard on them they gave 100% all the way until the final whistle

* WW are a superbly organised club pre match food top class and wonderful staff all the way through from reception to the hospitality staff well done 10/10 

Good atmosphere with a restricted crowd hope its similar tomorrow 🙂 After tomorrow its London Broncos for me and Kent cricket on Monday what a selection:)

Paul

GETS EVEN BETTER 

Our taxi never turned up so the club organised SITALEKI AKAUOLA to give us a lift back to our hotel in Haydock after the game incredible:)))))

Our youngest Luka has Eplensy and Autism and was overwhelmed this is what makes RL so special:)

Now off to the beatles museum and then the match tonight:)

Paul

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s not okay language to use whether there’s adrenaline, emotion or not and it’s still not okay in a dressing room. 

41 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

was all similar ages and had good relationships and banter between us.

One persons banter is another persons bullying. Where are you drawing the line?

7 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

GETS EVEN BETTER 

Our taxi never turned up so the club organised SITALEKI AKAUOLA to give us a lift back to our hotel in Haydock after the game incredible:)))))

Our youngest Luka has Eplensy and Autism and was overwhelmed this is what makes RL so special:)

Now off to the beatles museum and then the match tonight:)

Paul

i had to walk home in the rain,

One persons banter is another persons bullying. Where are you drawing the line?

There’s quite a big difference between having a laugh, at say, Liverpool losing a football game to Northampton Town (which they did around the time of working in said supermarket) and ribbing Liverpool fans than saying something like what Price did. 

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s quite a big difference between having a laugh, at say, Liverpool losing a football game to Northampton Town (which they did around the time of working in said supermarket) and ribbing Liverpool fans than saying something like what Price did. 

Without a doubt but where are you drawing the line? Is it ok to bully someone over which football team they support but we draw the line at saying a mate is rubbish at football?  Who makes the rules? I don't agree with what Price said and think an apology should be the end of it but at the end of the day Price will probably get ribbed about it at training and the player it were aimed at will likely as well. It don't make it right but also doesn't make it any less likely to happen.

Archived