Thu 24 Jun: SL: Wakefield Trinity v Wigan Warriors KO 19:45

Who will win?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/06/21 at 19:15

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good win for Trinity. Pretty dire again from Wigan. Not that we could have expected our attack to improve with the side we had out but still disappointing to see our weakness so badly exposed again.

Trin had some experienced players out there leading by example and taking the pressure off their more inexperienced teammates. Fifita, Arona and Ashurst looked strong. Wood took advantage of our weak middle when he came off the bench. Wigan on the other hand had Powell, who is in poor form, Leuluai, who is the most ineffective and pointless half in Super League, and Mitch Clark whose opportunity to showcase why he deserves a place in the team was the perfect showcase of why he doesn't deserve a place in the team.

Some great efforts from our young forwards - Havard, Partington, Shorrocks and Pearce-Paul were probably our best players and James McDonnell defended well for a player out of position, but ultimately we just had no real threat at all. Smith tried his best and created a nice try but he gets no support at all from his halfback partner.

Also, playing our best winger at fullback (a position he hasn't played before), and a fullback on the wing (where he's looked shaky at best) might be one of the weirdest decisions Lam has made in his time at Wigan.

Ah well. It's only Wire and Saints up next.

Well not a game for the purist,plenty of effort and plenty of mistakes from both teams.

However, I really enjoy watching the depleted Wigan sides because you can spot the young talent coming through. Last night I was very impressed by pierce - Paul. He looked an handful and has a good off load. Definitely a star for the future and I am sure he will be another Wigan stalwart 

From a wakey point we also have a good young forward making his way. Had a good game last night Yusuf aydin 

11 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

Good win for Trinity. Pretty dire again from Wigan. Not that we could have expected our attack to improve with the side we had out but still disappointing to see our weakness so badly exposed again.

Trin had some experienced players out there leading by example and taking the pressure off their more inexperienced teammates. Fifita, Arona and Ashurst looked strong. Wood took advantage of our weak middle when he came off the bench. Wigan on the other hand had Powell, who is in poor form, Leuluai, who is the most ineffective and pointless half in Super League, and Mitch Clark whose opportunity to showcase why he deserves a place in the team was the perfect showcase of why he doesn't deserve a place in the team.

Some great efforts from our young forwards - Havard, Partington, Shorrocks and Pearce-Paul were probably our best players and James McDonnell defended well for a player out of position, but ultimately we just had no real threat at all. Smith tried his best and created a nice try but he gets no support at all from his halfback partner.

Also, playing our best winger at fullback (a position he hasn't played before), and a fullback on the wing (where he's looked shaky at best) might be one of the weirdest decisions Lam has made in his time at Wigan.

Ah well. It's only Wire and Saints up next.

Is Gildart injured again, I did not think he was in the England squad.

14 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Full Time: 14-6

MoM Kyle Wood

how they’ve come up with Wood for the man of the match is baffling!

Watching this as a neutral (well as neutral as I can be when Wigan are involved 🙄)  I thought Wood had real impact but I thought Jowitt had a great game, Hampshire was always involved too. If Mason Lino can cut out the errors then he is a real handful for opposition defences. 
For Wigan I thought Pearce-Paul looked dangerous with every involvement. When Harry Smith is good, he is very good but when he’s off….clearly needs time to develop his game.

Wigan as a team look very much like Saints at the moment. Very efficient in getting up the field but missing a spark, to be fair last night they were missing a good few who can provide a spark, interesting few weeks coming.

4 hours ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Watching this as a neutral (well as neutral as I can be when Wigan are involved 🙄)  I thought Wood had real impact but I thought Jowitt had a great game, Hampshire was always involved too. If Mason Lino can cut out the errors then he is a real handful for opposition defences. 
For Wigan I thought Pearce-Paul looked dangerous with every involvement. When Harry Smith is good, he is very good but when he’s off….clearly needs time to develop his game.

Wigan as a team look very much like Saints at the moment. Very efficient in getting up the field but missing a spark, to be fair last night they were missing a good few who can provide a spark, interesting few weeks coming.

I thought Jowitt was MoM and agree with Hampshire being a threat throughout 

For Wigan I thought Havard was a tower of strength and energy, Head and shoulder (literally) above every other front row forward on the field. 

JPP was a handful and looks like a star in the making, he has everything required, size, athleticism, stamina, offload, footwork and so on

I think some of your young forwards look in need of a break, in particular Partington and Byrne while Bullock looks like a player who knows he’s leaving and couldn’t care less about Wigan. 

1 minute ago, OMEGA said:

For Wigan I thought Havard was a tower of strength and energy, Head and shoulder (literally) above every other front row forward on the field. 

JPP was a handful and looks like a star in the making, he has everything required, size, athleticism, stamina, offload, footwork and so on

I think some of your young forwards look in need of a break, in particular Partington and Byrne while Bullock looks like a player who knows he’s leaving and couldn’t care less about Wigan. 

Some run by Havard, he’s a good player. 

Agree with what you say about Wigan’s young forwards. Partington’s game looked a little different last night to me, more passing, less direct running. He’s a fierce competitor and plays better when he takes the more direct approach IMHO. Smithies seems a little lost to me. Not sure if he is struggling for injuries or form or been found out. 

10 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Is Gildart injured again, I did not think he was in the England squad.

He pulled out of the game after the captains run according to Lam in the pre-match build up. Groin injury again.

4 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Havard is outstanding. If it hadn't been for injury part way through last season he'd have been the obvious choice for young player of the year. A bit of a slow start to this season but he's still been our best prop and has a great all round game. The problem is at any top side someone like Havard would be 3rd choice prop. He'd be killing it just the same but at Wire he'd still be alongside the likes of Cooper and Hill. At Saints he would be alongside Walmsley and Paasi. He'd be a stand out player amongst some quality experience. At Wigan he's the prop we rely on the most and as a result we risk overplaying him. 

I agree with the last point. Liam Byrne was clearly carrying an injury last night but we don't have enough depth in the front row to cope without him. Smithies wasn't 100% either. But we're lacking hard running prop forwards who make good metres and the players who are playing the best tend to be our young back rowers who don't have much size. The more we play our in form players the less size we'll have down the middle and we struggle. But if we play our big middles they don't perform well enough and we struggle.

Archived