Fri 25 Jun: Intl: England v Combined Nations All Stars KO 20:15 (TV)

Who will win?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Combined Nations All Stars by 1 to 6 points
    • Combined Nations All Stars by 7 to 12 points
    • Combined Nations All Stars by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/06/21 at 19:45

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, yipyee said:

They would, and theres no evidence...

Same as some people think Australia are unbeatable but yet Tonga beat them and Tonga arent even a tier 1 nation!

The one time they played the Knights battered them. France haven't improved in those 10 years. 

France's results are appalling, often against week teams. 

There is your evidence. 

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

They would, and theres no evidence...

Same as some people think Australia are unbeatable but yet Tonga beat them and Tonga arent even a tier 1 nation!

France haven’t battered anyone for decades.

26 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

France haven’t battered anyone for decades.

Their last few big wins were 54-18 vs Wales (2018), 54-2 vs Serbia (2018), 68-10 vs Serbia (2015) and 46-10 vs Scotland (2011). 

For the perceived second best nation this side of the equator, they’re not exactly head and shoulders above the rest. 

12 hours ago, Gates1 said:

So despite having a French super league team,  not a single French player in the combined nations squad!

I think with these types of games especially since Steve McNamara brought in the exiles in 2011  the assumption is northern v southern hemisphere so they won't look at french players and remember before that we had the other nationalities  from 1904 to 75 that was made up of aus nz scot welsh irish and south africans who were actually playing the game over here still no french

7 minutes ago, POR said:

I think with these types of games especially since Steve McNamara brought in the exiles in 2011  the assumption is northern v southern hemisphere so they won't look at french players and remember before that we had the other nationalities  from 1904 to 75 that was made up of aus nz scot welsh irish and south africans who were actually playing the game over here still no french

I think when they've been looking to include English and Welsh players to play England, the southern hemisphere assumption goes out the window!

Originally, yes. Now, no.

Were French players approached? I've no idea, but would be interested to know if they had and which ones people think could get in that squad.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

7 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I think when they've been looking to include English and Welsh players to play England, the southern hemisphere assumption goes out the window!

Were French players approached? I've no idea, but would be interested to know if they had and which ones people think could get in that squad.

Given Tomkins and Davies have had a long journey to get here for England, I can see why they’ve not dragged too many more over for an invitational side. 

59 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Yaha > Liam Kay

Busquet or Batteri > Junior Moors

Would give a french representation and improve the squad.

On 23/06/2021 at 10:34, Pulga said:

Not sure about calling this an "international" in the title.

What else would you call a game in which England are playing?

14 hours ago, Gates1 said:

So despite having a French super league team,  not a single French player in the combined nations squad!

If there were they'd have to contend with people moaning they weren't good enough and didn't deserve to be there.

Ideally, French players should be playing for France.

Now, if only England would arrange to play them...

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Given Tomkins and Davies have had a long journey to get here for England, I can see why they’ve not dragged too many more over for an invitational side. 

Same for every club, isn't it? If they are able to come, it shouldn't matter how far (especially if some already are).

9 minutes ago, John Drake said:

If there were they'd have to contend with people moaning they weren't good enough and didn't deserve to be there.

Ideally, French players should be playing for France.

Now, if only England would arrange to play them...

Ideally, but they're not getting fixtures.

Surely it would be better for French development to be in a "in theory" higher-intensity match?

25 minutes ago, John Drake said:

What else would you call a game in which England are playing?

Not England, I grant you, but our national RL team has played many  many games that wouldn't be called internationals.

I would say you need another nation to count it as an international. 

4 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Ideally, but they're not getting fixtures.

Surely it would be better for French development to be in a "in theory" higher-intensity match?

They should be getting fixtures.

Against England.

On a regular, annual basis.

Preferably home and away.

Anything that makes that less likely to happen in future, such as cherrypicking one or two of their players for a probably one-off, soon to be forgotten Combined Nations and claiming that to be 'developing French players in a high intensity environment' is not to be encouraged, in my view.

I'm sure others will disagree, but c'est la vie.

Plus, there's all the faff of quarantining to contend with this year. I'm sure they'd be willing to go through all that to play for France, but to play for a team that few people care anything about, I mean, why should they, purely to aid England?

4 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Not England, I grant you, but our national RL team has played many  many games that wouldn't be called internationals.

I would say you need another nation to count it as an international. 

Forgive us for trying to make it sound more interesting than it probably is. 

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

If theres no French players better than Liam Kay and Junior Moors they are in trouble!

5 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

If theres no French players better than Liam Kay and Junior Moors they are in trouble!

I'm sure there are, but why should any of them put themselves out to play in a game that is purely designed to aid England's preparation for the World Cup, rather than France, their own country?

16 hours ago, Dave T said:

The one time they played the Knights battered them. France haven't improved in those 10 years. 

France's results are appalling, often against week teams. 

There is your evidence. 

So a game 10 years ago..

Haha thats a good reflection on current affairs...

The game in france is rubbish as the 2 teams in the british competition are only at the top of each league...hold on

On 23/06/2021 at 05:34, Pulga said:

Not sure about calling this an "international" in the title.

My thoughts exactly, it's not an international by any means.  International literally means between nations, and this other lot does not represent a nation.

Rather than calling it an international, we could call it a multinational.  Globalisation at its best.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived