NRL Laying Groundwork For NZ Expansion With New SKY NZ Broadcast Deal.

Sky NZ have held off a bid by sports streaming service Spark TV to extend their partnership with the NRL until the end of 2027. Spark TV recently acquired the rights to the RLWC, EPL, Cricket and Formula One and were keen to obtain the NRL rights to anchor their winter sports offerings, however the NRL have decided to extend their partnership with Sky after a competitive tendering process.

The fact that the current arrangement does not expire until the end of 2022 reveals how keen Sky were to lock in the NRL until 2027. Although precise dollar amounts have not been disclosed the 2013-2017 was a five year deal worth $100m, I expect the current deal to be well north of that.

The extended deal includes:

* All NRL and NRLW matches broadcast live on Sky.

* Selected NRL matches available on FTA.

* State of Origin matches to be on FTA.

*  Live-streaming of domestic NZ development competitions.

"The enhanced agreement involves a new level of collaboration with both the ARLC and Sky NZ working closely alongside New Zealand Rugby League to co-invest in initiatives to grow rugby league."

An interesting fact that was revealed was that 1.1m individual New Zealanders had tuned into at least one NRL match so far this year. 

It would seem that the expanded nature of this deal and the end date of the deal, 2027, may well be an insight into the ARLC`s plans for another NRL team based out of NZ by the 2028 season

Sky Network (ASX:SKT) share price flies following NRL partnership (fool.com.au).

NRL 2021: Broadcast rights; Sky New Zealand agree on deal until 2027 with ARL Commission - NRL

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These days it`s hard to divine what degree of News Corp ownership there is in anything with Sky in the title. And therefore what any deal tells us about the agenda of the Murdoch dynasty.

In news coverage there`s a vast difference between Sky UK and Sky Australia.

I`d always assumed the Sky NZ arrangement was a natural tie-up with Foxtel in Aus.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Sky NZ have held off a bid by sports streaming service Spark TV to extend their partnership with the NRL until the end of 2027. Spark TV recently acquired the rights to the RLWC, EPL, Cricket and Formula One and were keen to obtain the NRL rights to anchor their winter sports offerings, however the NRL have decided to extend their partnership with Sky after a competitive tendering process.

The fact that the current arrangement does not expire until the end of 2022 reveals how keen Sky were to lock in the NRL until 2027. Although precise dollar amounts have not been disclosed the 2013-2017 was a five year deal worth $100m, I expect the current deal to be well north of that.

The extended deal includes:

* All NRL and NRLW matches broadcast live on Sky.

* Selected NRL matches available on FTA.

* State of Origin matches to be on FTA.

*  Live-streaming of domestic NZ development competitions.

"The enhanced agreement involves a new level of collaboration with both the ARLC and Sky NZ working closely alongside New Zealand Rugby League to co-invest in initiatives to grow rugby league."

An interesting fact that was revealed was that 1.1m individual New Zealanders had tuned into at least one NRL match so far this year. 

It would seem that the expanded nature of this deal and the end date of the deal, 2027, may well be an insight into the ARLC`s plans for another NRL team based out of NZ by the 2028 season

Sky Network (ASX:SKT) share price flies following NRL partnership (fool.com.au).

NRL 2021: Broadcast rights; Sky New Zealand agree on deal until 2027 with ARL Commission - NRL

How does that 1.1 million figure work?

is that the average number of viewers for a single NRL game or the combined weekly total?

2 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

is that the average number of viewers for a single NRL game or the combined weekly total?

Neither, it's the total number of people who have watched at least one match. So in effect there are 1.1 million people in NZ who have tuned into an NRL game this year.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

4 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Neither, it's the total number of people who have watched at least one match. So in effect there are 1.1 million people in NZ who have tuned into an NRL game this year.

I see. Not sure if this is a good figure or bad one considering the amount of games played so far this season?

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I see. Not sure if this is a good figure or bad one considering the amount of games played so far this season?

Populations only 5 million so I'd say good probably, 1 in 5 people have watched an NRL game. If 1 in 5 people in the UK watched a Super League game that would be impressive I'd have thought, it'd be 13 million plus. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Populations only 5 million so I'd say good probably, 1 in 5 people have watched an NRL game. If 1 in 5 people in the UK watched a Super League game that would be impressive I'd have thought, it'd be 13 million plus. 

Put that way I agree. Does that mean no one viewer was counted twice or more?

Put that way I agree. Does that mean no one viewer was counted twice or more?

Exactly, each person is counted once regardless of the number of games they watched, could be 1 could be 50.

I read that at some stage this season 1.1m New Zealanders had tuned into an NRL match.

Now this may mean that of that figure some had only watched one game all season however others may be tuning into multiple games, either each week or over the first 15 rounds.

My take from that is that you would have to think there is likely to be a couple a couple of hundred thousand Kiwis tuning into NRL each week.

Just on another note, from what I can find News Corp sold their 44% stake in Sky NZ in 2013. In 2019 Vodafone bought a 51% stake in Sky for $2.4b.

Another interesting aspect of the deal was that there are separate deals for the NRL and the NZRL, I assume this is to provide a separate income stream for the NZRL, something they have been calling for for some time.

I thought the timing was interesting as well, both Fox in Oz and now Sky`s deal in NZ both maturing in 2027. Something going to happen after that ?

One other thing, the NRL grant to each club is about $12.5m, so the Warriors grant is well covered with the Sky deal, with an expanded deal the grant for the second club could be well covered as well. And after 2027, well who knows. I think the new deal reveals the current value and growth potential of League in NZ.

5 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Exactly, each person is counted once regardless of the number of games they watched, could be 1 could be 50.

Very encouraging. Would be interesting to know the geographical spread of these viewers i.e. Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Hamilton etc.

3 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I read that at some stage this season 1.1m New Zealanders had tuned into an NRL match.

Now this may mean that of that figure some had only watched one game all season however others may be tuning into multiple games, either each week or over the first 15 rounds.

My take from that is that you would have to think there is likely to be a couple a couple of hundred thousand Kiwis tuning into NRL each week.

Just on another note, from what I can find News Corp sold their 44% stake in Sky NZ in 2013. In 2019 Vodafone bought a 51% stake in Sky for $2.4b.

Another interesting aspect of the deal was that there are separate deals for the NRL and the NZRL, I assume this is to provide a separate income stream for the NZRL, something they have been calling for for some time.

I thought the timing was interesting as well, both Fox in Oz and now Sky`s deal in NZ both maturing in 2027. Something going to happen after that ?

One other thing, the NRL grant to each club is about $12.5m, so the Warriors grant is well covered with the Sky deal, with an expanded deal the grant for the second club could be well covered as well. And after 2027, well who knows. I think the new deal reveals the current value and growth potential of League in NZ.

Hopefully the prospect of NZ2 could be dangled in front of the next broadcast deal beyond 2027?

Just now, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Hopefully the prospect of NZ2 could be dangled in front of the next broadcast deal beyond 2027?

I don`t think dangled mate, I think they are both definitely working together towards that, laying the ground work.

SOO and big matches on FTA, that`s a very obvious way of giving people the opportunity to watch top level League and start to engage regularly with the game.

Interestingly there was no mention of Kiwi, male or female, internationals being sold to Sky, only streaming rights. You would have to think of all the things on offer that could have some value, is that a separate deal in the pipeline, hopefully another revenue stream for the NZRL.

28 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Should bear in mind that this is Pay TV. Lots of NZRL fans won`t have a subscription, just like the Rocket in Oz doesn`t have Fox.

When Winfield Cup games were on NZ FTA TV in the late 80s/early 90s the ratings were huge. It was one of the factors that spooked NZRU into revving up their push for Rugger to go pro.

One SOO game (think it was the decider in 1991) had roughly a third of the NZ population still watching close to midnight.

9 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Should bear in mind that this is Pay TV. Lots of NZRL fans won`t have a subscription, just like the Rocket in Oz doesn`t have Fox.

If I got Foxtel, seriously, I would never leave the house, NRL, Super League, Time Team, documentaries and all those true crime shows, it would be a disaster.

One day, just not yet.

41 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I don`t think dangled mate, I think they are both definitely working together towards that, laying the ground work.

SOO and big matches on FTA, that`s a very obvious way of giving people the opportunity to watch top level League and start to engage regularly with the game.

Interestingly there was no mention of Kiwi, male or female, internationals being sold to Sky, only streaming rights. You would have to think of all the things on offer that could have some value, is that a separate deal in the pipeline, hopefully another revenue stream for the NZRL.

Aren’t the NRL asking the Aussie based clubs to take their “home” games against the warriors to NZ as a thank you to the warriors for basing themselves on the central coast for nearly a season and a half?

4 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Aren’t the NRL asking the Aussie based clubs to take their “home” games against the warriors to NZ as a thank you to the warriors for basing themselves on the central coast for nearly a season and a half?

Yes there was talk of it also helping to reengage Kiwis fans after the Warriors absence. As usual Oz based clubs baulked saying they`d want $300 000 compensation, there was talk that the Warriors owner had said he would underwrite them but I don`t think it will go ahead, certainly not on any large scale.

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Yes there was talk of it also helping to reengage Kiwis fans after the Warriors absence. As usual Oz based clubs baulked saying they`d want $300 000 compensation, there was talk that the Warriors owner had said he would underwrite them but I don`t think it will go ahead, certainly not on any large scale.

What a huge letdown that would be towards the warriors and a massive opportunity missed for helping to spread the game throughout NZ.

Games could be held in Hamilton, Palmerston North, rotorua, Wellington and Christchurch etc.

Lets hope NZ gets at least 3-4 extra NRL games on top of the warriors home games. Even some pre-season trial games.

16 hours ago, The Rocket said:

If I got Foxtel, seriously, I would never leave the house, NRL, Super League, Time Team, documentaries and all those true crime shows, it would be a disaster.

One day, just not yet.

Get Kayo. I pay $5 a month being a Telstra customer.

new rise.jpg

Rocket I didn't realize Vodafone now owned 51% of Sky TV NZ, but I had heard NZ Rugby Union now has 5% ownership of SKY TV NZ. All  The bidders who lost out on current NZ NRL TV rights Spark Sports are a rival NZ Cellphone company Spark (Formerly Telecom NZ). But Spark have just won the Rights to the 2021 Rugby League World Cup https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/125462629/spark-sport-secures-broadcasting-rights-for-rugby-league-world-cup#comments

19 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

When Winfield Cup games were on NZ FTA TV in the late 80s/early 90s the ratings were huge. It was one of the factors that spooked NZRU into revving up their push for Rugger to go pro.

Rugby League in NZ has a history of rating very well on TV dating back to NZ vs Australia test matches of the 1980's, then NSWRL (Cigarette Cup) in late 80's/90's, Auckland Warriors entered the Australian Competition in 1995 and when Warriors made NRL grand finals in 2002 and 2011. Because of this history most people in NZ are aware of Rugby League and the figure of 20% of population or 1.1 million people watching the NRL at some point this year sounds about right. 

21 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Although precise dollar amounts have not been disclosed the 2013-2017 was a five year deal worth $100m, I expect the current deal to be well north of that

20 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Rocket your unique in terms of being an Australian who can see and acknowledges that NRL makes a yearly multi million dollar profit from the NZ TV rights market. I have long been calling for NRL to reinvest a % of there NZ TV rights profits back into NZ grassroots rugby league. Personally i believe that before NZ get a second NRL side, NZ needs a Semi pro National Competition, to create pathways to the NRL from within NZ and reestablish Semi professional Rugby League outside of the Auckland Region. 

21 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

These days it`s hard to divine what degree of News Corp ownership there is in anything with Sky in the title. And therefore what any deal tells us about the agenda of the Murdoch dynasty.

In news coverage there`s a vast difference between Sky UK and Sky Australia.

I`d always assumed the Sky NZ arrangement was a natural tie-up with Foxtel in Aus.

I think you will find the agenda of News Corp has to do with betting. The company is going in a new direction ie. sports betting. They are using rugby league to support this just as they did in 1997 with pay TV.

With betting man V'landys in their pocket and a nice 7 year TV deal they have plenty of time to set it up and bed it in. 

This was the reason why News Corp were so aggressive against the previous 'independent' leaders of the NRL.

8 minutes ago, Pulga said:

$20m per year (£11m) and only one team in the comp. 

Keep in mind that those figures are from the TV rights deal that ran out 4 years ago. This amount would have increased since then. NRL pays a yearly $12.5 million club grant to NZ Warriors the same as every NRL club gets and pockets at least $7.5 million per year in profit from NZ TV rights. NRL basically has little to no operating costs in NZ and funds no on going programs of any form in NZ.

32 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Keep in mind that those figures are from the TV rights deal that ran out 4 years ago. This amount would have increased since then. NRL pays a yearly $12.5 million club grant to NZ Warriors the same as every NRL club gets and pockets at least $7.5 million per year in profit from NZ TV rights. NRL basically has little to no operating costs in NZ and funds no on going programs of any form in NZ.

Puts the latest Super League deal in perspective.

new rise.jpg

Archived