Hull FC losing £750k per year and may have to go part time.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Damien said:

Pearson does seem to have a regular moan about a lack of money and things about the wider game whilst seeming to do little to rectify the things that are within his control.

He certainly does, it’s very unprofessional and does us no favours for a club owner to be repeatedly talking the sport down IMO. 

If he’s concerned Hull FC are to losing so much money why did he splash out on a marquee former State of Origin half back a couple of months before the season started?

Albeit a lot of fans on these pages call for the Salery Cap to be banished, I have not seen much of that intention from many SL clubs, I think this piece by Mr Pearson kind of gives some indication how Hull FC would react if the cap were to be abolished and I consider the majority of the SL clubs would be of the same opinion, they could not afford it.

The cap was brought in to distribute the available talent around the division, the evidence of only 4 Champion clubs in 25 years says it has not worked, perhaps if the cap was abolished not many clubs could not afford to keep all the stars and the talent could be distributed wider? But I would still expect the richer clubs to stay at the top, so no point getting rid of the cap then!

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

perhaps if the cap was abolished not many clubs could not afford to keep all the stars and the talent could be distributed wider? But I would still expect the richer clubs to stay at the top, so no point getting rid of the cap then!

As it stands, I think abolishing the cap completely would allow Leeds and Warrington (who seem to be the only clubs with spending power) to do what Wigan did in the 90s and buy all the best players, even they couldn't fit them in the team. We'd end up with a Leeds-Warrington grand final every year, which Leeds would win due to the laws of nature (repeated scientific experiments have shown that Warrington can only lose Grand Finals, in the same way that time only flows in one direction).

Maybe the answer is to increase it a little bit with proof of available funding.  The danger there is that due to the lack of available talent we end up paying more to the same players and nothing changes.   A bit of a quandary.

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Albeit a lot of fans on these pages call for the Salery Cap to be banished, I have not seen much of that intention from many SL clubs, I think this piece by Mr Pearson kind of gives some indication how Hull FC would react if the cap were to be abolished and I consider the majority of the SL clubs would be of the same opinion, they could not afford it.

The cap was brought in to distribute the available talent around the division, the evidence of only 4 Champion clubs in 25 years says it has not worked, perhaps if the cap was abolished not many clubs could not afford to keep all the stars and the talent could be distributed wider? But I would still expect the richer clubs to stay at the top, so no point getting rid of the cap then!

I'm not convinced the 4 winners point is the evidence it may appear to be. The likes of Hull, Hudds, Wire, Catalans, Cas may not have been able to get over that finish line with a GF win, but they have been part of very competitive seasons and contributed greatly to the comp. 

Those stats could go the other way with a little bit of a better performance over the last 80m of the year, but even if we had 8 winners the situation would not be greatly different other than the odd dropped ball or missed tackle. 

5 hours ago, Just Browny said:

"With measured caution Adam Pearson picks his words carefully. Not wanting to run the risk of hyperbole or instil further alarm into an already difficult public climate, the Hull FC owner begins to paint a picture etched in caution."

Not quite the approach DimmestStar has taken.

For sure, the 'measured' caution that HDM say Pearson has was contradicted by his alarmist words. Part time Super League? Angered by the rejection of private equity?

HDM is a pro Hull FC publication who need Pearson to feed them pro Hull FC stories but this was something even they couldn't dress up.

4 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

I can only see drastic cuts at Hull FC otherwise we may have another Bradford on our hands.

Don't try to put it out like you'd be upset by that scenario, like Barry Lilley, you couldn't wish for anything better as far as you're concerned.

1 hour ago, DimmestStar said:

HDM is a pro Hull FC publication who need Pearson to feed them pro Hull FC stories but this was something even they couldn't dress up.

HDM biased against Hull KR?

You've gotta be joking, that's laughable.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

17 hours ago, JohnM said:

If he's not happy, he can always unite with Hull KR to create Hull United  and dominate the game. 

That'd be the Hull equivalent of United and City merging. It'd be interesting though and quite funny. 

15 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

For sure, the 'measured' caution that HDM say Pearson has was contradicted by his alarmist words. Part time Super League? Angered by the rejection of private equity?

The bitterness shines through in every post.  

HDM is owned by REACH, a national PLC.  Matthew Shaw, formerly TRL, writes for them as well as James O’Brien and others.  As neutrals, to suggest they have bias towards HKR is just not in their interest.

8 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Renaming and new sponsorship of the ground today.  KCOM losing out to MKM who’ve agreed a deal with the stadium management company (SMC).

What that exactly means to Hull FC regarding hard cash (if any) I don’t know.  

Most of us haven't got used to calling it the KCOM yet.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

4 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

Pearson mentions repaying the government loan.Was this part of the money awarded to the RFL?

I must have missed the reporting of this so how much was the loan and what was the stated purpose?

Loans from the government totalled £32.7m.

Some details: https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/how-many-clubs-have-taken-advantage-of-the-government-loans/

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Any person who unironically uses the words "war chest" in RL should be banished to the CCF.

That aside, FC seem to be partly in a case of not fixing the roof whilst the sun was shining, and partly suffering from the fact that Pearson is just not that wealthy. The Club itself also appears to have minimal assets and the arrangement with the Allams is genuinely ridiculous.

That is all before we get to the wider game malaise at the moment.

“Did somebody say “war chest”?”

F54DE3B6-0825-4550-8D84-D643BB7A245B.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I hear the occasional old boy still referring to it as The Circle. 

You must sit behind us.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 24/06/2021 at 13:35, Spidey said:

Another club spending more than they can afford, when will they learn?

Everybody has a Salary Cap.  It's the same for everyone.  The other side of the coin is, Income.

On 24/06/2021 at 13:55, Saint Toppy said:

Hull also went down the route of playing out of a stadium they don't own instead of biding their time and getting the finance in place in order to get their own stadium.

Biding their time? What time did they have to bide at the Boulevard? The move to the KCOM was essentially a life saver for Hull. To suggest they stay in the crumbling Boulevard and gather their finances in place (i.e. none, or in fact negative) as an alternative is laughable.

Not everyone has a knight in shining armour, and not everyone was staying in a large (albeit dated) stadium that allowed them to wait long enough.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived