Fev in SL 2022 :- would they go Full Time.

Disclamer :- I am not a fev fan so may not be aware of any plans Fev have on this topic

So far in the Champ this year, two teams have been ahead of the rest, those being Tolouse and Fev. Now we know anything can happen in the Playoffs, but looking at the plight of Leigh right now in SL, and they are full time, if Fev was to be promoted, would they need to go Full time next year to have any hope of survival, and if so, should they start seriously planning for it right now.  I don't think you can just switch from Part time to full time over night, you would need to sort out contracts, training, get a full backroom staff set up, and all other other demands when your a full time outfit.

Worry is if fev stay PT, they could end up doing worse than Leigh this year, PT teams playing Wigan, SH, Leeds, Wire etc week after week after week, is very different than one off games in the challenge cup.

The jump for Tolouse would be less (they already full time) than it would be for Fev IMHO which could be very wrong.

5 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

I can't see how any team being promoted from the championship could avoid going straight back down. It's not like football where you can park the bus and nick a few 1-0s to stay up.

Plenty have done it, apart from Leigh.  The gulf is getting bigger though

Some of the players are in effect Full Time by working for the club's Foundation, going into schools etc. I do remember Mark Campbell saying he had some ideas he wanted to explore about becoming less part time without being completely FT. He said he was going to look at speaking with players employers and perhaps getting an agreement with them to have the players 24 hours before a game for preparation and then 24 hours after for recovery with those employers being reimbursed in turn. This was just an idea he was perhaps looking into and I have no idea wether he has any plans to do anything on these lines if Fev do get promoted.

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

58 minutes ago, Damien said:

Were London all full time? I remember they spent well under the salary cap.

Apparently. I suppose full time doesn't have to mean well paid? 

Bigger clubs tend to give squad numbers 24 upwards very low/apprentice level contracts too I guess. AFAIK Jack Walker played in and won a Grand Final for Leeds whilst on a 4 figure salary for example.

2 hours ago, roversspud said:

Some of the players are in effect Full Time by working for the club's Foundation, going into schools etc. I do remember Mark Campbell saying he had some ideas he wanted to explore about becoming less part time without being completely FT. He said he was going to look at speaking with players employers and perhaps getting an agreement with them to have the players 24 hours before a game for preparation and then 24 hours after for recovery with those employers being reimbursed in turn. This was just an idea he was perhaps looking into and I have no idea wether he has any plans to do anything on these lines if Fev do get promoted.

This is (one reason) why people have concerns about Featherstone. So far as I'm aware SL clubs HAVE to be full time. So the above system just wouldn't fit that criteria.

The 'problem' with Fev going full-time is going to be the same that would face other clubs, and has been such a problem for Leigh. By the time they know for certain that they'll be in SL, all of the best players will be signed up. 

I guess they could pad out their squad with people no longer needed by Leigh. I'm sure that would work for them 😁

2 hours ago, roversspud said:

Broken time payments?

18 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

This is (one reason) why people have concerns about Featherstone. So far as I'm aware SL clubs HAVE to be full time. So the above system just wouldn't fit that criteria.

The 'problem' with Fev going full-time is going to be the same that would face other clubs, and has been such a problem for Leigh. By the time they know for certain that they'll be in SL, all of the best players will be signed up. 

I guess they could pad out their squad with people no longer needed by Leigh. I'm sure that would work for them 😁

What is Gray Viane doing these days? Didn't he just keep going from relegated club to relegated club?

4 hours ago, crashmon said:

Yea I was also thinking how would they cope with away games on Thursday nights for instance

The same way that Championship sides manage and have always managed.

A lot of work patterns are 7 days per week these days so almost any match day will result in the juggling of shifts etc for some current Championship players.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Apparently. I suppose full time doesn't have to mean well paid? 

Bigger clubs tend to give squad numbers 24 upwards very low/apprentice level contracts too I guess. AFAIK Jack Walker played in and won a Grand Final for Leeds whilst on a 4 figure salary for example.

Didn’t Clarkson win a Grand Final whilst serving an apprenticeship ?

I think a lot is up in the air at the moment, not just if a team got promoted but the current financials of clubs in the top division. 

The game keeps shooting itself in the foot and the top division will end up being part time if it doesn't grow.

IMO Toulouse and Featherstone had a much better squad than Leigh did, but that's a whole different argument. 

After this season, I don't really see much hope for Featherstone to get into SL, I can see SL clubs reverting back to a licensing scheme. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

On 24/06/2021 at 14:49, Spidey said:

Plenty have done it, apart from Leigh.  The gulf is getting bigger though

The promoted clubs who are not SL regulars have been London - Relegated, Leigh - Relegated, Toronto - folded. The last non SL regular club to win promotion and stay up was Widnes in 2001/2 ish when the GF was first week in August and a few players still about. Cats came last in season 1 and the rest of the promoted clubs had been established SL clubs in the past 20 years (licensed  clubs excluded). Salford Cas and Huddersfield bounced back by being a FT club in a PT comp.

21 hours ago, LeeF said:

The same way that Championship sides manage and have always managed.

When did Championship clubs play on Thursdays and Fridays every week ?

Yes, they did have Thursday night games ten years ago.  Occasionally.

Would that be a viable plan ?  Just pick players who work the right shifts ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

34 minutes ago, Griff said:

When did Championship clubs play on Thursdays and Fridays every week ?

Yes, they did have Thursday night games ten years ago.  Occasionally.

Would that be a viable plan ?  Just pick players who work the right shifts ?

Championship clubs have played games regularly on a Friday. A part time SL team could play home games on Saturday or Sunday

Clubs have played matches for many many years midweek well before they were full time.
It’s not ideal but it isn’t insurmountable 

Archived