World Cup in Doubt…Again

Seems like wanting to put up obstacles to me.

If Aussies still have to undertake two weeks of mandatory hotel quarantine upon arrival post-World Cup - which ends on 27 November  - why can't that be part of their leave? And would they really have three months off after that? I smell BS.

Doesn't seem a good reason to pull out, let alone call the whole thing off.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Seems like wanting to put up obstacles to me.

If Aussies still have to undertake two weeks of mandatory hotel quarantine upon arrival post-World Cup - which ends on 27 November  - why can't that be part of their leave? And would they really have three months off after that? I smell BS.

Doesn't seem a good reason to pull out, let alone call the whole thing off.

Last years Origin concluded on Nov 18,they didn’t seem concerned about leave periods then.

16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

If the World Cup does not go ahead, a number of Tests involving Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Lebanon and Fiji may take place.

That would be a farce 

Might be more difficult to secure stadia next year with the PL being compressed to accommodate the Qatar football World Cup.

Would be a massive shame to see all of the hard work so far go to waste. Hopefully just a storm in a teacup and the usual pre-tournament whining from our friends in the southern hemisphere.

Have any of these reporters asked the players what they think? Would be good to see some senior players prepared to stick their head above the parapet and commit to playing.

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It goes ahead with or without antipodeans. Their choice. You have to be in it to win it. 

Best chance England has.

Only France turns up.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

The reality is that if the NRL doesn't sanction it, it won't happen. 

As for people saying go ahead without them - it's not just Australia, it's NZ, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, PNG, Lebanon, perhaps even Greece as well

1 minute ago, Allora said:

Everyone here is an expert.

This is a Pandemic that has not been seen in our lifetime.

The World Cup is not more important than people’s lives.

Every case in Australia in recent times has come from overseas travellers.

People here are sick of it and the poor quarantine rules that sees outbreaks that leads to lock downs.

if you don’t like the fact the World Cup may not happen go and xxxx yourself.

My family and job is more important to me.

You might have a point if any of this was anything to do with fearing for the lives of players. It's not, it's entirely about the NRL only being concerned about their own product and keeping the players for themselves.

5 minutes ago, Allora said:

People here are sick of it and the poor quarantine rules that sees outbreaks that leads to lock downs.

Do you think the Aussie clubs should call the World Cup off?

8 minutes ago, Allora said:

I think you need to take a step back and consider the fact you are posting to a UK forum where 128,000 people have lost their lives to this horrible disease before you start preaching about the value of lives. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

NRL clubs voice World Cup concerns
The World Cup is in danger of falling apart just one week after being given the green light to go ahead.

Clubs are leading the calls for the tournament to be postponed to next year after conjecture surrounding the late return of its star players to pre-season training in the new year. Club bosses voiced their concerns to the NRL during a phone hook-up this week, which resulted in discussions between the governing body and tournament organisers.

Players who make the final on November 26 will not return to their club side until February – and may not feature in a trial match - given the leave period and quarantine requirements.

That and the ongoing uncertainty surrounding Covid-19 is what is concerning clubs.

The issue could blow up in the next couple of weeks.

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys confirmed club’s had reservations about having their best players travel overseas.

“We are dealing with the World Cup organisers and they are aware of the difficulty we have in relation to the clubs and players,” V’landys said.

“We are working through those at the moment. I totally respect the clubs and players’ feelings and we are expressing those to the organisers.

“Naturally we would like to support the international game, but we are making the organisers aware of the feelings of the clubs and players.

“There are three concerns – the players, the clubs and logistics around the quarantine requirements.

“They are some difficult obstacles to overcome but we certainly have made them aware of the clubs, players and our own views concerning quarantine.”

International Rugby League chairman Troy Grant is aware of the concerns and is optimistic they will be resolved.

The World Cup is pivotal in ensuring the financial stability of the struggling northern hemisphere nations.

If the World Cup does not go ahead, a number of Tests involving Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Lebanon and Fiji may take place.

It`s odd because I read about this club concern stuff last week, why has it suddenly surfaced now, important to remember Carayannis is a real bloody gossip, so it could be him just looking for a beat up.

The other odd thing is, I thought the days of trial matches was over, maybe play one, but that`s it.

Important to remember the way the media works over here, not sure if it`s the same for you, the whole `is it on ?` `is it off ?``is he playing ? ` or `is he out ?` seems a big part of the media beat up over here when they are trying to create drama and get a bit of attention. Hopefully only that. Sincerely.

4 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It`s odd because I read about this club concern stuff last week, why has it suddenly surfaced now, important to remember Carayannis is a real bloody gossip, so it could be him just looking for a beat up.

The other odd thing is, I thought the days of trial matches was over, maybe play one, but that`s it.

Important to remember the way the media works over here, not sure if it`s the same for you, the whole `is it on ?` `is it off ?``is he playing ? ` or `is he out ?` seems a big part of the media beat up over here when they are trying to create drama and get a bit of attention. Hopefully only that. Sincerely.

The V'landys quotes give this more credibility. He doesn't really seem to be offering much leadership on that publicly. More of a bit of wishy washy statement of concern, which from a key player in this is a concern.

Maybe it is all part of an effort to reduce quarantine periods aimed at both governments.

11 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

The reality is that if the NRL doesn't sanction it, it won't happen. 

As for people saying go ahead without them - it's not just Australia, it's NZ, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, PNG, Lebanon, perhaps even Greece as well

Cook Islands too, and possibly Italy.

I couldn't see a six team tournament with England, France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland & Jamaica going ahead, not as a World Cup.

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Isn’t that what we’re doing with the Combined nations farce though? Admittedly, we’re doing it poorly but the only benefit of this weekend is for England and nobody else. 

I'm absolutely baffled as to why the RFL staging a game for their international team, England, is controversial.

But if we want to look at what the RFL are doing for the international games, then we can look at the many risks they have taken with the World Cups over the years.

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think you need to take a step back and consider the fact you are posting to a UK forum where 128,000 people have lost their lives to this horrible disease before you start preaching about the value of lives. 

And if they’re waiting for COVID to go away they’ll be waiting a long time . Protocols are in place in elite sport so that it goes ahead . As has been said this about clubs protecting their assets and looking after themselves.  

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

The V'landys quotes give this more credibility. He doesn't really seem to be offering much leadership on that publicly. More of a bit of wishy washy statement of concern, which from a key player in this is a concern.

Maybe it is all part of an effort to reduce quarantine periods aimed at both governments.

Dave were in the middle of another lockdown here today ( new highly contagious variant ) and emotions are running high.

Tomorrow night I`m going to miss the second half of the sheilas SOO because I`ve go to leave home at 11.00p.m. to drive 2 hours to pick my son up from Newcastle so he can out of Sydney before he`s stuck and get home about 3.00a.m. F***ing ironic because I`ve been telling every #### to watch it.

Mate it`s so hard to know what is the truth and what isn`t these days in the media, PR has stuffed everything, the clubs are kicking up a stink about the 17th team `apparently` as well, I don`t know what to believe. Can they be so consumed with self interest, I just don`t get it, what about the big picture. Mate hopefully only a beat up to get a bit of attention and create a headline.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Exactly , total rubbish . Tell them where to go , and that we’ve put loads of effort into this and the WC is on . They can come or not come 

Well they need to come, it will be woeful if they don’t. 

Just now, Dave T said:

I'm absolutely baffled as to why the RFL staging a game for their international team, England, is controversial.

But if we want to look at what the RFL are doing for the international games, then we can look at the many risks they have taken with the World Cups over the years.

So, it’s not their own self interest reigning supreme, then? It’s a very selfish approach that’s been taken, where other nations aren’t allowed a mid-season break and we’re playing a game that only suits England and nobody else internationally. That’s why it’s controversial. We’re not an innocent party. It’s as selfish as the NRL wanting to dictate whether they attend the World Cup because players won’t get a trial under their belts before the 2022 NRL season. 

Ultimately, that’s Rugby League and that’s where our problems lie. We have so many people pulling in so many different directions, as the two examples above show, and selfishness is rife across the sport. 

16 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Isn’t that what we’re doing with the Combined nations farce though? Admittedly, we’re doing it poorly but the only benefit of this weekend is for England and nobody else. 

No 

33 minutes ago, Allora said:

Every case in the world other than China has come from overseas travellers, Australia is nowt special. 

Just now, DavidM said:

Well indeed 

We could draft in the teams that nearly qualified; Norway, Russia, Serbia - it would be great. Italy or Lebanon won’t be able to come though as they’re all Aussies, maybe the Isle of Man could get a team together. 

Archived