World Cup in Doubt…Again

Am I reading this correctly? The fact that a 14 day quarantine period for NRL players returning home which slightly disrupts their preseason training is sufficient grounds to postpone the biggest event in RL? 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RayCee said:

Am I reading this correctly? The fact that a 14 day quarantine period for NRL players returning home which slightly disrupts their preseason training is sufficient grounds to postpone the biggest event in RL? 

Yeap that just about sums it up.

Doesn't look good does it.

To be honest, I wouldn't blame the players if they didn't want to quarantine for a fortnight in a hotel on the way back, having already been away for seven weeks. Especially if there was an option to do it a year later.

But it seems they're up for it, and it's the clubs saying no. Very disappointing.

If we do postpone, we need to get the NRL to agree to bring the dates forward a couple of weeks so it doesn't clash too much with the football World Cup. 

24 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Doesn't look good does it.

To be honest, I wouldn't blame the players if they didn't want to quarantine for a fortnight in a hotel on the way back, having already been away for seven weeks. Especially if there was an option to do it a year later.

But it seems they're up for it, and it's the clubs saying no. Very disappointing.

If we do postpone, we need to get the NRL to agree to bring the dates forward a couple of weeks so it doesn't clash too much with the football World Cup. 

So going away for seven weeks is fine but 9 weeks is unacceptable?

Looks like a power play to try to wrestle the control of the game into an aussie controlled game.

All done on Aussie say so etc...

I hope if they pull out we just go ahead anyway!

If we compare how FIFA handled the early WC tournaments.

1930: Most European nations declined to attend including England (considered the best nation at the time). All the 'home nations' would not play. Only 13 teams competed. It still went ahead.

1934: The reigning champions Uruguay refused to participate due to European nations refusing to come to the last one. The 'home nations'  still refused to play. It went ahead anyway.

1938: Argentina and Uruguay refused to play as it was held a second consecutive time in Europe. The Spanish civil war stopped them from entering. The 'home nations' still refused to participate. It still went ahead. 

1950: It nearly didn't go ahead due to disinterest by most nations. It still went ahead and they came to play.

FIFA has not cancelled a WC due to refusal of certain nations to participate. The first few WCs were barely worth holding, but FIFA went ahead with them anyway. RL has enough nations willing to play, so it can be held. Go ahead anyway and show the RL community it can still put on a tournament even if some of the big names stay away. I just don't think the sport has the 'tackle' to do so.

16 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Tulsen Tollett on BBC News just said that a decision on the future of the 2021 RLWC will happen next week.

Edit: I should have read the previous page.

People will pay to eatch the other teams and England in particular, the Australia games were poorly attended at the last home world cup so financially it wont matter if they are sulking because they think they wont win it

3 hours ago, yipyee said:

Ha! Wouldn't that be something! 

Aussies and Kiwis form a European based players side?? Maybe a Pacifica side, France, Wales, Scotland and Ireland

I mean we wouldn't be nailed on to win but we probably would win it

I'm convinced.... Start the campaign! 😁

4 hours ago, yipyee said:

So going away for seven weeks is fine but 9 weeks is unacceptable?

Looks like a power play to try to wrestle the control of the game into an aussie controlled game.

All done on Aussie say so etc...

"Bolding" is by moi.  From where I am....as an outsider looking in....it appears very much to me that it is already an aussie controlled game.   I'll get my coat.....

P.S. IF the Aussies decline to attend, and the IRL hold the tournament anyways, then that would restore my faith in that organization.  And, as someone else said, the attendances for the Aussie games at the last World Cup were nothing to write home about.

There’s a little more to it than just the 2 week hotel quarantine return to Aus.

Reality is that if the tournament does go ahead, there will be a huge amount of withdrawals from the Southern Hemisphere sides. So we are going to have very weakened sides comparison to previous years. And not just Australia - where talking New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Cook Islands, Lebanon, PNG. As per the current international rankings, That’s 7 of the top 8 playing nations.

There’s already rumours that none of the New Zealand Warriors players are going to participate (as they are all currently based in Aus and have barley been home for the past 18 months). If true, that crosses New Zealand out of any chance of winning.

Do we really want a half backed competition? 

3 hours ago, AB90 said:

No, but that's not how I'd view it. I'd see it as a chance for lesser nations to have a real crack at winning it.

3 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

From where I am....as an outsider looking in....it appears very much to me that it is already an aussie controlled game.   I'll get my coat.....

P.S. IF the Aussies decline to attend, and the IRL hold the tournament anyways, then that would restore my faith in that organization.  And, as someone else said, the attendances for the Aussie games at the last World Cup were nothing to write home about.

You're right. It already is controlled by Australia because the rest of the RL world let's them. If a few nations did pull out, it would give countries who weren't going to be there the chance to do so. I'm sure they would appreciate the opportunity to play international RL on the biggest stage. Not all nations feel that way apparently.  

5 minutes ago, RayCee said:

No, but that's not how I'd view it. I'd see it as a chance for lesser nations to have a real crack at winning it.

Maybe, but the Southern Hemisphere “lesser” teams are going to affected as well as the Aus, NZ & Ton.

10 of the 16 teams participating in the WC will be predominantly consisting of players based in Australia & New Zealand.

If it does go ahead in 2021, the standard will severely reduced. But it will give the northern hemisphere sides a better chance at success.

4 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Maybe, but the Southern Hemisphere “lesser” teams are going to affected as well as the Aus, NZ & Ton.

10 of the 16 teams participating in the WC will be predominantly consisting of players based in Australia & New Zealand.

If it does go ahead in 2021, the standard will severely reduced. But it will give the northern hemisphere sides a better chance at success.

Fair enough.

4 hours ago, AB90 said:

There’s a little more to it than just the 2 week hotel quarantine return to Aus.

Reality is that if the tournament does go ahead, there will be a huge amount of withdrawals from the Southern Hemisphere sides. So we are going to have very weakened sides comparison to previous years. And not just Australia - where talking New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Cook Islands, Lebanon, PNG. As per the current international rankings, That’s 7 of the top 8 playing nations.

There’s already rumours that none of the New Zealand Warriors players are going to participate (as they are all currently based in Aus and have barley been home for the past 18 months). If true, that crosses New Zealand out of any chance of winning.

World Cups are always about nations getting the best group of players together despite the circumstances. If teams are weakened that's just life. In 1995 the SL Aussie were excluded from their squad. 

5 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

"Bolding" is by moi.  From where I am....as an outsider looking in....it appears very much to me that it is already an aussie controlled game.   I'll get my coat.....

If the NRL clubs get their way the IRL need to grow a pair,go ahead with the World Cup and refuse to sanction any NRL run Southern Hemisphere only alternative.

When this broke it was all about number of games played and the chances of players missing trial games increased. Covid will be a convenient excuse for the NRL pulling their players out. It stinks, it’s a shame that they continually hamper International development when it’s not their own comp.

Are the Aussies competing in the Olympics?

21 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

That’s very interesting. One third at the time of asking were not comfortable.

I can fully appreciate their hesitance. 

That's very interesting. Two thirds at the time of asking were comfortable.

I can fully appreciate their confidence.

Archived