World Cup in Doubt…Again

29 minutes ago, Allora said:

The way it’s going it’s unlikely that any NRL based players will be travelling anywhere unless things improve in a hurry.

It is getting worse daily down here with the spread of the Delta strain in Sydney.

Massive incompetence all round in Australia. 

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Nate90 said:

The rumour is that the NRL players will have played too many matches at the end of the season and will not be available for a full pre season or any trial games. Its clearly not in the interest of the NRL to expand the international game when the NRL and Origin is so successful. It would be a massive shame if the efforts of the World Cup organisers to get this tournament right lose out to self interest. Let the players decide if they want to play in it and if it means a World Cup this year without a Kangaroo team this year then so be it.

So that rules out all further international tournaments then seeing as they are playing the normal amount of games including the meaningless Indigenous V Maori game.

4 minutes ago, Derwent said:

On the BBC website.

I think the article unhelpfully conflates two issues as Dutton's comments on capacities are out of date. Since he spoke in May, it's become clear that English crowd limits will almost certainly be lifted in time. 

The issue is whether 500+ Australia-based players and staff come at all, and is the cup viable if they don't?

I'd like to hear Dutton's view on whether he can sell a World Cup with no Aussie-based players. Seems inconceivable to me, but if he says it's possible, then I'm not opposed in principle... 

6 hours ago, Nearenough said:

Australia   % of population fully vaccinated    4.4%

thats not really the NRLs fault i wouldnt have thought

In comparison - In Canada, as of June 19th., the latest compiled data date, reveals that 22.07% of the population 12 years of age and up are fully vaccinated, and 75.33% have received their first dose.   Is there great reluctance in Australia to being vaccinated, or is it a failure by the Federal Government in procuring doses, or maybe a combination of the two? 

29 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So that rules out all further international tournaments then seeing as they are playing the normal amount of games including the meaningless Indigenous V Maori game.

Not really providing we ever get to a point where quarantines aren’t needed.

They’re complaining about the quarantine rules which would have a knock-on effect on the players and subsequently, the clubs, as players would be going into the 2022 season without a trial game under their belt so risk either missing the start of the season or going into the new season not completely fit. I can understand their thought process and I wouldn’t be too happy if it were the other way around and Saints players risked missing the start of the season for the same reason. That doesn’t mean I’m supporting them or think they’re right in what they’re doing but I do get it. 

I don’t think it’s as easy as “well cut a fixture or two” domestically either. We saw last year it’s not just as easy as dropping a game or two when you’re tied into contracts. It’s probably not as easy as starting/ending the season earlier/later to accommodate this either, unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Not really providing we ever get to a point where quarantines aren’t needed.

They’re complaining about the quarantine rules which would have a knock-on effect on the players and subsequently, the clubs, as players would be going into the 2022 season without a trial game under their belt so risk either missing the start of the season or going into the new season not completely fit. I can understand their thought process and I wouldn’t be too happy if it were the other way around and Saints players risked missing the start of the season for the same reason. That doesn’t mean I’m supporting them or think they’re right in what they’re doing but I do get it. 

I don’t think it’s as easy as “well cut a fixture or two” domestically either. We saw last year it’s not just as easy as dropping a game or two when you’re tied into contracts. It’s probably not as easy as starting/ending the season earlier/later to accommodate this either, unfortunately. 

Only in RL could a World Cup be cancelled because players could miss a friendly,Rep players tend to play very few minutes pre season anyways and they could always cancel the meaningless all stars “friendly”

Just now, Davo5 said:

Only in RL could a World Cup be cancelled because players could miss a friendly,Rep players tend to play very few minutes pre season anyways and they could always cancel the meaningless all stars “friendly”

It’s not just them missing a friendly, it’s then going into a new season unfit or undercooked, which I get.

As I say, I don’t think it’s as easy as dropping games, especially one of their main events, as you suggest. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s not just them missing a friendly, it’s then going into a new season unfit or undercooked, which I get.

As I say, I don’t think it’s as easy as dropping games, especially one of their main events, as you suggest. 

Somehow I doubt a 2 week stay in a nice hotel will have an impact on an international players fitness.

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

What about a wider responsibility to the game ? It’ll look terrible if the World Cup is postponed because basically they just don’t want to come 

NRL clubs & wider responsibility 😂😂😂 

Can’t wait for the headline Sports flagship World Cup cancelled to allow for Pre Season friendly in Mudgee

The World Cup Final is scheduled for the 27th of November 2021.

Last year, State of Origin game 3 took place on the 18th of November before the 2021 season kicked off on the 11th of March.

This means that if an NRL player gets to the final of the World Cup and plays in the first round of the NRL in 2022 their off season will be 103 days long rather than 113 days this year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

55 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

In comparison - In Canada, as of June 19th., the latest compiled data date, reveals that 22.07% of the population 12 years of age and up are fully vaccinated, and 75.33% have received their first dose.   Is there great reluctance in Australia to being vaccinated, or is it a failure by the Federal Government in procuring doses, or maybe a combination of the two? 

and most of us think Canada's procurement and rollout has been a fiasco..what does that say about Oz?

Am I missing something here, why can't the NRL just shift the start of the 2022 season two weeks forward .Does it have to start and finish on a set day. If the whole of world football can realign their 22/23 season for Qatar then moving the NRL forward a bit should be a no brainer.  Also Qatar takes place Nov 21 to Dec 18, so our WC to avoid this totally which it will have to, to avoid being virtually media invisible would need to start last week in October '22, so if this year is postponed will the NRL agree to start earlier next year?

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

There is no indication that the organisers want to move the comp. The NRL leader has said there are concerns from the Aussie clubs. 

If this was around commercial risk I think we would have postponed 6m ago when things looked far worse. 

Indeed, we are in the best position to host this since the start lockdowns and will be in an even better position in a few months vaccine wise. It is clear that the issue isn't the organisers or issues in the UK.

29 minutes ago, DavidM said:

What about a wider responsibility to the game ? It’ll look terrible if the World Cup is postponed because basically they just don’t want to come 

This is the most frustrating thing for me. As the major RL nation I think Australia have an obligation to grow and develop the game. I think exactly the same of the RFL too as the leaders in the northern hemisphere.

However since the Super League wars and the rise of the NRL they have treated the international game as an inconvenience and treated it with contempt. For any faults the ARL had at least it was a true governing body with the games interests at heart. The NRL is not that and is a club centric body only concerned with its clubs.

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

On the BBC website.

Obviously just an opinion but I think he is teeing us up for a delay because of the Aussie problem. They could have delayed 6m ago if full stadia was a problem - but things are looking better than 6m ago based on crowds in the UK etc. 

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Indeed, we are in the best position to host this since the start lockdowns and will be in an even better position in a few months vaccine wise. It is clear that the issue isn't the organisers or issues in the UK.

This is exactly right.

There are Australians competing in the Tour de France, Australians competing in Wimbledon, Australians going to the Olympics (in their hundreds) etc. etc.

If individual players choose to step down due to safety concerns or the need to quarantine then of course let them. But if the whole NRL decides to force a postponement then it is just self serving.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The World Cup Final is scheduled for the 27th of November 2021.

Last year, State of Origin game 3 took place on the 18th of November before the 2021 season kicked off on the 11th of March.

This means that if an NRL player gets to the final of the World Cup and plays in the first round of the NRL in 2022 their off season will be 103 days long rather than 113 days this year.

If it really is that big a deal they can just push the season back a week or two. No doubt Australia won't be playing end of season internationals in 2022, as they normally don't following a world cup, so it wouldn't be difficult. We all know this isn't the real reason though.

Of course the irony is that the NRL recieved (well deserved) widespread praise when they were just about the first competition in the world to restart after lockdown in 2020. They defied the odds and defied the expectations to achieve it.

Now, it seems that they may decide they can't compete in a competition that has government support to run and all of the logistics in place.

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

100%. It’s staggering that you think being confined to a hotel room won’t effect fitness. 

How much training do you think players normally do in the two weeks following the end of the season?

Archived