World Cup in Doubt…Again

7 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Without their heritage players all they could manage is fielding teams of RU players who just play RL in the RU off-season.  Would you really want that?

If you re-read my post it says they shouldnt be there...

So interpriting this I clearly mean no I do not want that

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, yipyee said:

If you re-read my post it says they shouldnt be there...

So interpriting this I clearly mean no I do not want that

OK then, without the antipodeans which countries other than England, France, Jamaica and Wales could field a team which you'd care to watch then?

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

OK then, without the antipodeans which countries other than England, France, Jamaica and Wales could field a team which you'd care to watch then?

PNG would still be a good side and a Fiji team made up of Fijian residents would still be entertaining but to be honest any team that made the effort to compete I’d be more than happy to pay to watch.

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I would imagine USA could field a team as maybe Canada, Scotland, Italy, Ireland, Serbia? Maybe the pacific nations could field teams from homegrown players.

At the end of the day it doesnt matter just to play the tournament anf fulfill fixtures for me, if that means inviting teams then so be it.

Cant be any worse than watching Leigh in superleague this year.

On 26/06/2021 at 18:14, Dave T said:

They have just managed to get 45k signed off at Wembley, I suspect the crowds issue is less of an issue than the Aussie problem. 

They are not going to want to play hardball, certainly not publicly, they will need to show some unity if they postpone, hence why I think this capacity point is being brought to the forefront. It will be the most professional excuse for delaying the tournament to fans, sponsors and partners. One of the issues the game has is that funding has already been spent in certain areas, we need to be really careful. 

My understanding a lot of tickets been sold for various stadiums like St James, Park Kingston Park lots of fans making a weekend of it in Newcastle plus understand Emirates has sold well but if NZ/Australia & likes of PNG wont be at the World Cup then call it off who would want to win it without the big boys taking part all you would get every time its mention you won it would be ok you won but NZ & Aussies missed that one.

another major obstacle has risen to the fore - pacific islanders reluctance to be vaccinated (a cultural thing) - journalists are expecting an announcement tomorrow but it has been put back to the end of the week- it will be a straight on or off announcement and the wc will not go ahead without australia although its believed some nsw origin players have already pulled out for mainly isolating reasons. 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

20 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

My understanding a lot of tickets been sold for various stadiums like St James, Park Kingston Park lots of fans making a weekend of it in Newcastle plus understand Emirates has sold well but if NZ/Australia & likes of PNG wont be at the World Cup then call it off who would want to win it without the big boys taking part all you would get every time its mention you won it would be ok you won but NZ & Aussies missed that one.

I wouldn't stage the tournament if teams pull out. If they do and it bankrupts the game, then so be it and it gets what it deserves, but if we are in a place where a minority of players have a reluctance to travel, we can still stage it with those who are prepared to travel.

On 27/06/2021 at 00:31, yipyee said:

If Greece and Lebanon cannot field a team of home grown players then they shouldnt be at the world cup finals

Presumably the same applies to Scotland and Ireland? Even Wales would struggle to make a full squad.

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

Presumably the same applies to Scotland and Ireland? Even Wales would struggle to make a full squad.

Yep firstly all national teams should be home grown squads with maybe the odd heritage player who are genuine heritage players.. not jump ship if a better offer comes along.

Secondly like with the covid situation at domestic level, tou play what players are available to fulfill the fixtures, the show must go on, keep calm and carry on 

21 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Yep firstly all national teams should be home grown squads with maybe the odd heritage player who are genuine heritage players.. not jump ship if a better offer comes along.

Secondly like with the covid situation at domestic level, tou play what players are available to fulfill the fixtures, the show must go on, keep calm and carry on 

You’d only ever have 4 teams playing if that was the case. It’s nice to aspire to but I’d rather watch a 16 team World Cup 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

You’d only ever have 4 teams playing if that was the case. It’s nice to aspire to but I’d rather watch a 16 team World Cup 

You would have 16 teams though...

How are countrys supposed to get better and grow?

Also 

PNG

FRANCE

ENGLAND

WALES

NZ

AUS 

USA

JAMAICA

8 good teams all from home grown players

Serbia

Ireland

Spain

Fiji

Tonga

Canada

Italy

Russia

Spain?

All could raise a team

A seeded group stage as previous would see competative games and give home grown lads game time at a major tournament

As long as enough teams can come I'd like to see it go ahead if at all possible. We don't know if 2022 will be any better with this virus hanging around. It could be worse. The risk to the RFL is the cost of not holding it.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

14 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

another major obstacle has risen to the fore - pacific islanders reluctance to be vaccinated (a cultural thing) - journalists are expecting an announcement tomorrow but it has been put back to the end of the week- it will be a straight on or off announcement and the wc will not go ahead without australia although its believed some nsw origin players have already pulled out for mainly isolating reasons. 

"another major obstacle has risen to the fore - pacific islanders reluctance to be vaccinated (a cultural thing) -"

But won't that mean they'll never leave Oz, even for games in NZ v the NZ Warriors?

On another matter, the vaccination 
program + rollout has hit levels of high farce here today … it's a long story but the advice surrounding the AZ jab is changing constantly and confusing the hell out of EVERYBODY in Australia, which only has 3% fully vaccinated population.

2 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

"another major obstacle has risen to the fore - pacific islanders reluctance to be vaccinated (a cultural thing) -"

But won't that mean they'll never leave Oz, even for games in NZ v the NZ Warriors?

On another matter, the vaccination 
program + rollout has hit levels of high farce here today … it's a long story but the advice surrounding the AZ jab is changing constantly and confusing the hell out of EVERYBODY in Australia, which only has 3% fully vaccinated population.

Sorry to repeat The delay will have nothing to do with Covid or vaccines. The NRL value their trial games over the World Cup, they’ve said so. Nobody is really addressing that point. 

On 24/06/2021 at 14:28, Dunbar said:

Thanks.

I think this sentence from the article sums up the attitude perfectly... "Players who make the final on November 26 will not return to their club side until February – and may not feature in a trial match - given the leave period and quarantine requirements."

I have to say, I am not one for grand statements but if the World Cup is put in jeopardy after all the wonderful organization & efforts and the opportunity it presents to the game as a whole so that NRL teams can play their players in a trial then I may just go and find something else to enjoy.

@ghost crayfish - full article is towards the start of this thread

39 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Sorry to repeat The delay will have nothing to do with Covid or vaccines. The NRL value their trial games over the World Cup, they’ve said so. Nobody is really addressing that point. 

Yup. But they may play some Tests down under.

Which, if they do, whilst avoiding the World Cup, will be such a positive for the game, eh?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

In addition to a 14-day quarantine in a government-approved hotel for all returning nationals, which would affect around 500 players and staff, there are concerns some players could be denied entry as not all of them are Australian and New Zealand citizens — having qualified via residency or ancestry.

Do they mean might be denied entry back to Australia and New Zealand? I think as a minimum for hosting an international sporting tournament we'll be covered from our end in terms of allowing people in.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Just now, DI Keith Fowler said:

Do they mean might be denied entry back to Australia and New Zealand? I think as a minimum for hosting an international sporting tournament we'll be covered from our end in terms of allowing people in.

I think the article has been edited from something that makes sense to something that doesn't.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived