World Cup in Doubt…Again

17 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

That's easy to post on an internet forum not so easy if your spending 6/7 weeks in a bubble away from your family. We have lockdown restrictions here and in Australia now and you read on a daily basis lockdown breaches by players and officials with cancellations, bans and fines so it's reach to say things would be better in a more relaxed environment.

An RL World Cup is probably a relatively modest challenge for bubbles. For the majority of teams they will leave after four weeks, so we are probably talking 5 weeks, where they would already be in camp, so training within bubbles anyway. It is easier to stage your own events that work within rules etc. 

And all of that is assuming bubbles are required at that time. 

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

With a great deal of difficulty - see below

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1108739/tokyo-2020-olympics-public-poll

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-japan-considers-banning-spectators-from-tokyo-olympics-amid-surge-in-coronavirus-cases-12350762

I have bought tickets to the games (But not travel yet) so I have a vested interest in it going ahead but like Sir LIndsay I can see the problems in a County just coming out of lockdown restrictions.

That's easy to post on an internet forum not so easy if your spending 6/7 weeks in a bubble away from your family. We have lockdown restrictions here and in Australia now and you read on a daily basis lockdown breaches by players and officials with cancellations, bans and fines so it's reach to say things would be better in a more relaxed environment.

Tokyo has just entered a State of Emergency.

I should have been clearer that I was talking about the mechanism and that it has been done rather than saying the Olympics are going swimmingly.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Got a reply from my E-Mail sent this afternoon. to enquiries@rlwc2021.com

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your email.

You may be aware that we have stated publicly that we will do our best to provide an update this week, but we have also reiterated on a number of occasions that we will not be dictated by time if more careful consideration is needed.

As I am sure you can appreciate, we are operating in the most exceptional circumstances, and we thank you for your patience and continued support.

We understand that this may not be the answer that you are looking for, seeing that you are booking travel, hotels etc. Please trust that our customers are at the forefront of every key decision, and we are looking forward to delivering you some clarity and certainty as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Zac

TBH Football and Union World cups won't really impact as one is in Qatar, and one is in France, and I doubt many folks who would travel to France to see Union would be attending any RL games anyway (apart from possibly the semi-final).

Tonga v Samoa in Union Rugby world cup would be live on ITV

Tonga v Samoa in League would be on Premier sports

Both Tonga and Samoa have much better League teams than Union, but the Union game would easily get 10x the viewers than the League game....

Sad but true

Like many worried about the Football World Cup impacting our World Cup but what is the time difference & will all the football games be played in the evenings Qatar time due to the impact of the humidity & heat ? so are we talking about early morning games or late evening games European times ?

3 minutes ago, crashmon said:

TBH Football and Union World cups won't really impact as one is in Qatar, and one is in France, and I doubt many folks who would travel to France to see Union would be attending any RL games anyway (apart from possibly the semi-final).

Tonga v Samoa in Union Rugby world cup would be live on ITV

Tonga v Samoa in League would be on Premier sports

Both Tonga and Samoa have much better League teams than Union, but the Union game would easily get 10x the viewers than the League game....

Sad but true

No RLWC games are on Premier Sports so that's nonsense.

Also the Football will be all consuming no matter where it is played. RU far less so, many won't give a hoot, but 2 years is too far away.

Just popped in to some additional points for consideration on this board.

Firstly the RLWC is not the only sporting event in doubt in the UK. The NFL international Series at Tottenham Hotspur FC which will occupy the two weeks prior to the World Cup is still not on sale to fans. An the story goes that Wembley Stadium limited, who are not hosting games this year, were in discussions with the Jacksonville Jaguars and the NFL which broke down over Wembley's insistence that they confirm that they would be coming . A commitment that neither the Jaguars nor the NFL felt they could make. As with the RLWC fans would like to know if it's on or not.

My second point is that Global Britain needs to be aware of the rest of the world. We have a very high vaccination rate. Australia has about 11.6% of its population vaccinated https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=australian+vaccination+rates+covid  I can imagine the same in NZ and the Pacific Islands. The concern there would be importing the virus back into the country from abroad..

Closer to home look at the difficulties faced by sides travelling to France to play Catalans or Toulouse again French authorities insist on restrictions because they too want to avoid importing the virus. It's not just what the UK wants that matters. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements

Finally , heres a link from Crickinfo on the concerns that visitors to our shores have.https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/osman-samiuddin-does-it-make-sense-for-cricketers-to-be-locked-down-in-a-country-where-the-public-at-large-is-free-1268870

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

20 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Firstly the RLWC is not the only sporting event in doubt in the UK. The NFL international Series at Tottenham Hotspur FC which will occupy the two weeks prior to the World Cup is still not on sale to fans. An the story goes that Wembley Stadium limited, who are not hosting games this year, were in discussions with the Jacksonville Jaguars and the NFL which broke down over Wembley's insistence that they confirm that they would be coming . A commitment that neither the Jaguars nor the NFL felt they could make. As with the RLWC fans would like to know if it's on or not.

My second point is that Global Britain needs to be aware of the rest of the world. We have a very high vaccination rate. Australia has about 11.6% of its population vaccinated https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=australian+vaccination+rates+covid  I can imagine the same in NZ and the Pacific Islands. The concern there would be importing the virus back into the country from abroad..

Closer to home look at the difficulties faced by sides travelling to France to play Catalans or Toulouse again French authorities insist on restrictions because they too want to avoid importing the virus. It's not just what the UK wants that matters. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements

Finally , heres a link from Crickinfo on the concerns that visitors to our shores have.https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/osman-samiuddin-does-it-make-sense-for-cricketers-to-be-locked-down-in-a-country-where-the-public-at-large-is-free-1268870

Good points TRR to be honest I think that moving it a year is the best option and personally I am not worried about clashing with the Football and Rugby Union World Cups as we will be on our own with regards to matches in this country it could be part of a massive national push for the ENGLAND brand.

As for the Cricket the only people who should be locked down (Permanently) are the muppets at the ECB for coming up with the 100 C--P:(

Paul

‘Speaking to well-placed sources in Australia, the main takeaway is this: the Rugby League World Cup committee is doing absolutely everything in its power to make certain this year's tournament goes ahead - including unforeseen financial expenditure they're willing to wear to ensure the concerns of all participating nations are met.

I'm led to believe that at present, the news is as positive as it can be. But, as we've seen from recent sporting events including the British and Irish Lions and cricket, the situation can change quickly.‘ 

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/20358/12350932/brian-carney-rugby-league-world-cup-latest-danny-ward-leaving-london-and-leeds-rhinos-big-win

32 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

‘Speaking to well-placed sources in Australia, the main takeaway is this: the Rugby League World Cup committee is doing absolutely everything in its power to make certain this year's tournament goes ahead - including unforeseen financial expenditure they're willing to wear to ensure the concerns of all participating nations are met.

I'm led to believe that at present, the news is as positive as it can be. But, as we've seen from recent sporting events including the British and Irish Lions and cricket, the situation can change quickly.‘ 

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/20358/12350932/brian-carney-rugby-league-world-cup-latest-danny-ward-leaving-london-and-leeds-rhinos-big-win

This probably involves the RLPA in Australia draining money out of the international game (WC profits) to satisfy a few NRL chairman. That's how we get the game to grow 😕 

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

This probably involves the RLPA in Australia draining money out of the international game (WC profits) to satisfy a few NRL chairman. That's how we get the game to grow 😕 

I think the RLPA are good guys in this. 

8 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I think the RLPA are good guys in this. 

Like the were over the Denver game? They have gone beyond their remit many times interfering with International RL and have shown up the RLIF for what it is - toothless.

2 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

These are not the issues facing the RLWC though. Its a distraction. We know the issue is that NRL clubs don't want clubs missing pre-season and a trial game. This is what has been stated.

There is absolutely no relevance with whether the NFL want 2 USA based NFL teams to play a NFL game in the UK. They don't need to and that can easily be avoided.

As for the rest steps can be put in place regarding that, as has happened in countries all over for months. That is the whole point of quarantine and isolation. If the players dont want to do that then they don't have to and can opt out but again we know that isn't the issue and I'm certain most will as they have indicated as such.

The Euros has been incredibly successful in multiple countries with teams traveling about from country to country. Where there is a will there is a way but the problem is if the NRL has the will.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

These are not the issues facing the RLWC though. Its a distraction. We know the issue is that NRL clubs don't want clubs missing pre-season and a trial game. This is what has been stated.

There is absolutely no relevance with whether the NFL want 2 USA based NFL teams to play a NFL game in the UK. They don't need to and that can easily be avoided.

As for the rest steps can be put in place regarding that, as has happened in countries all over for months. That is the whole point of quarantine and isolation. If the players dont want to do that then they don't have to and can opt out but again we know that isn't the issue and I'm certain most will as they have indicated as such.

The Euros has been incredibly successful in multiple countries with teams traveling about from country to country. Where there is a will there is a way but the problem is if the NRL has the will.

Exactly. Those NFL games will get played. The only issue is does the NFL want to the extra expense of bringing a retinue of people, probably in excess of the number of NRL players travelling to the RLWC, to the UK when it could do the exact same thing at home.

Which, if you'll remember, was the NRL's perceived intention with the RLWC. Don't worry if we don't travel, we'll just play a couple of Tests at home.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I would agree with you there

The issue Sir Lindsay Hoyle highlights is that we have no idea as to how things will play out post 19th July and 16th August. We have seen England having to select a new ODI cricket side and several Super League fixtures cancelled. We have no way of telling how what will happen when large non-socially distanced crowds come back.

Equally we have no control over the situation in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands which is the current sticking point.

So I can see Sir Lindsay's point about deferring for a year by which time sports will have returned to near normal globally and we will be used to living with the virus.

The problem with all this is that as Devon Ram correctly states we are not going to know the impact of the lifting of restrictions for some time. You cannot wait until the last minute on this.

Equally what would be the board view if there is a COVID outbreak in one or more of the Teams once the Tournament has started and the chaos that would ensue as you cannot expect athletes to be cloistered in a bubble when the rest of the population is out and about.

But if they are going to make a decision then make it now so we all know where we stand.

Who says they are waiting till the last minute?

They have said they are in discussion about it.. there is every chance there will be an announcement soon as discussions eventually end.. 

I agree it cannot be a last minute decision.. but also we are not there yet so lets not batter them before we have reason too. 

Look what is happening to the RU Lions.. they could have taken the offer to play this series in Aus (that would have been pointless given what is happening) they could have played it at home (probably best) but they went to south africa and now its all falling apart.. IMHO they made that call too early and should have waiting to see what was happening here.. if they had played it as a home test set up they would have potentially made more from a first ever Lions series at home that would have probably sold every ground out.. 

Make the decision in a timely manner, not too early and not too late but timely.. and make it RIGHT.. that is the most important thing. 

I know Devon Ram wants his travel and accommodation sorted.. and its annoying (been in the same boat on many occasions in the last 18 months) but it is what it is and you will survive.. If RL gets this wrong it may not (and i dont  believe thats an over exaggeration). 

1 hour ago, RP London said:

Who says they are waiting till the last minute?

They have said they are in discussion about it.. there is every chance there will be an announcement soon as discussions eventually end.. 

I agree it cannot be a last minute decision.. but also we are not there yet so lets not batter them before we have reason too. 

Look what is happening to the RU Lions.. they could have taken the offer to play this series in Aus (that would have been pointless given what is happening) they could have played it at home (probably best) but they went to south africa and now its all falling apart.. IMHO they made that call too early and should have waiting to see what was happening here.. if they had played it as a home test set up they would have potentially made more from a first ever Lions series at home that would have probably sold every ground out.. 

Make the decision in a timely manner, not too early and not too late but timely.. and make it RIGHT.. that is the most important thing. 

I know Devon Ram wants his travel and accommodation sorted.. and its annoying (been in the same boat on many occasions in the last 18 months) but it is what it is and you will survive.. If RL gets this wrong it may not (and i dont  believe thats an over exaggeration). 

I didn't say WC organizers where leaving it till the last minute a post on this forum said it.

3 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

I didn't say WC organizers where leaving it till the last minute a post on this forum said it.

I never said you did.

On 07/07/2021 at 16:54, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Just been officially announced that there will be no spectators allowed at the Olympics.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

On 07/07/2021 at 16:06, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

An email form Leeds has just landed in my inbox. One of the news items features this interesting passage :

"As the 2021 World Cup excitement starts to build, we're bringing the official England Rugby League merchandise to the Leeds Rhinos Merrion store. With the official kit and our latest off-field ranges being made available, you can get ready to support England."

This means either Leeds have been told nothing about any postponement or they are doing a very good job of hiding it. Either way, if clubs like Leeds are still promoting the world cup and it gets pulled it makes the game look even more shambolic.

The merchandise could be worth a fortune in 50 years time.   

A mug from a tournament that didn't happen.  Just think of it!

Whether the mug is crockery or the fella that bought it is open to question.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I actually think that this would be a sensible decision for now.

Maybe I am in the minority on here however being up against other sporting events as we are totally ENGLAND led next year could do us the world of good.

ENGLAND the No 1 sporting nation in the world football/rugby league/cricket

Paul

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

genuinely gutted if true 😞 

The ridiculous part of it all is that they would probably be safer in England than they are here, given the absolute shambles our vaccine roll-out has degenerated into. And with no end in site unfortunately. News breaking this afternoon of teams entering the bubble again for at least a month and reports of the Fijian national rugby union side refusing to wear jumpers with a pro-vaccine message on the weekend rings a few alarm bells whether we are going to see the same sort of anti-vaxxer issues with the League team. Things getting very messy, not feeling so optimistic now unfortunately.

Archived