World Cup in Doubt…Again

1 hour ago, RP London said:

middle of august they have said that you will not need to isolate as a close contact who has been double jabbed. 

If you have been double jabbed the large majority of people basically have a heavy cold/flu like symptoms. The issue has always been around the hospitalisations vs infections which is not happening in such a large ratio.

Well as long as all these young rugby players stay in their hotels for the duration of their stay and don't go out, it'll be fine. 

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

They`ll come don`t sweat it.

That`s just the Aussies acting like they think how World Champions should act, toying with everyone , ` will we or won`t we`.

I guarantee you`d do exactly the same if the tables were reversed and you were world champions and the tournament was down here. It`s all part of the theatre.

Well no I can guarantee other nations wouldn't and its not been helpful for the tournament in the slightest. No one treats the international game with the contempt that the Australians do.

24 minutes ago, Abicus said:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-league-world-cup-will-go-ahead-despite-severe-reservations-from-nrl-clubs/news-story/2b16c03b84269680103e4615c593a2f0

Hold the phone, Australia may withdraw.

Quote:

"

The Rugby League World Cup will go ahead but it could be missing one key component – the Kangaroos.

The Daily Telegraph has learnt while World Cup organisers have confirmed the tournament will be staged as planned, the Australian team is yet to sign its participation agreement. That could lead to the tournament going ahead without the defending champions.

Some clubs have lobbied for the tournament to be postponed 12 months given the ongoing uncertainty surrounding Covid-19 and the extended bubble the players will endure.

ARL chairman Peter V’landys confirmed the commission had yet to give the go ahead for Australia to compete."

No disrespect to Australia but an international sport has to be bigger than one member. I really want all qualified teams to compete but one team's absence shouldn’t be a deal breaker. If the WC went ahead without Australia it would say something positive about the sport. The international game has value beyond any one nation's participation. It’s a very weak international sport otherwise.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I think we are now at the stage where the international game needs much stronger protection in player contracts so that players are released. If players all stick together and demand it then the clubs will have no choice but to agree.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Well no I can guarantee other nations wouldn't and its not been helpful for the tournament in the slightest. No one treats the international game with the contempt that the Australians do.

You can really say, hand on heart, and we are only talking about the WC here, if the tables were reversed and you`d been world champions for 20 years whatever, and a tournament was being arranged down here in the opposite circumstances, with regard the pandemic, you clubs wouldn`t have been hesitating and throwing their weight around. Mate that`s just human nature, no one country has a mortgage on that sort of thing.

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

You can really say, hand on heart, and we are only talking about the WC here, if the tables were reversed and you`d been world champions for 20 years whatever, and a tournament was being arranged down here in the opposite circumstances, with regard the pandemic, you clubs wouldn`t have been hesitating and throwing their weight around. Mate that`s just human nature, no one country has a mortgage on that sort of thing.

Quite possibly but you'd hope Australia would go ahead with the WC anyway, wouldn’t you.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Sorry this is just a nonsense debate and is a very lame attempt to excuse the actions of NRL clubs. I'm not interested in whataboutery.

England's multi-millionaire football players were locked down by security and the knowledge if any of them broke the bubble they'd be all over the press.  

The 16 RL teams many with part time players many won't be vaccinated and they won't have anywhere near the same restrictions. 

Bigger squads will mean more players with little chance of playing and may be more inclined to break the bubble.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/another-lions-fixture-doubt-gatland-21017533?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wales_rugby

2 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

England's multi-millionaire football players were locked down by security and the knowledge if any of them broke the bubble they'd be all over the press.  

The 16 RL teams many with part time players many won't be vaccinated and they won't have anywhere near the same restrictions. 

Bigger squads will mean more players with little chance of playing and may be more inclined to break the bubble.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/another-lions-fixture-doubt-gatland-21017533?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wales_rugby

The euros squad size was 26 players. The last RLWC squad size was 24. I don't really follow with the bigger squad size and less chance of playing meaning players will break a bubble argument.

8 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

And dropped without hesitation as happened earlier. No excuses.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sorry this is just a nonsense debate and is a very lame attempt to excuse the actions of NRL clubs. I'm not interested in whataboutery.

I`m not making excuses for the clubs ( the clubs give me the pip more than anyone) or for anyone for that matter, I just know how human nature often works, I think you had a similar situation over an all-stars match recently.

Instead of just flitting from thread to thread posting whatever pops into your head you should consider sometimes what is being said and not be so thin skinned.

Just now, Damien said:

The euros squad size was 26 players. The last RLWC squad size was 24. I don't really follow with the bigger squad size and less chance of playing meaning players will break a bubble argument.

A lot will depend on how much personal responsibility individual players feel.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, The Rocket said:

I`m not making excuses for the clubs ( the clubs give me the pip more than anyone) or for anyone for that matter, I just know how human nature often works, I think you had a similar situation over an all-stars match recently.

Instead of just flitting from thread to thread posting whatever pops into your head you should consider sometimes what is being said and not be so thin skinned.

Eh? You are a better poster than that. If you don't like other opinions I think you are in the wrong place.

As I understand it, we are in the “fortunate” position that we are dealing with a fast spreading version of the virus against which the vaccines work very well indeed. Which makes the strategy of getting through the exit wave and then getting on with life a logical one. So, it looks very much as if we should be in a decent place as a nation come October. 

Then we have the huge good fortune that this World Cup was designed to be focussed very narrowly geographically (which annoyed me at the time). Which makes our ability to manage bubbles and the risks associated with them much easier. 

On top of that, we have the “Red Wall”/build back Britain political narrative, against which this is an easy win (and I write that as a paid up Burnhamite). We also have, potentially, William and Kate wanting to show they are royals for all. There would be a lot of political capital in seeing this being delivered - it is by definition something that plays to their (please excuse the patronising term) Workington man idea. 

It will be more expensive and logistically more challenging, but finding a few more million amidst the billions being spent elsewhere to cover it looks like a very good idea to me. 

I simply can’t wait for it.

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

As I understand it, we are in the “fortunate” position that we are dealing with a fast spreading version of the virus against which the vaccines work very well indeed. Which makes the strategy of getting through the exit wave and then getting on with life a logical one. So, it looks very much as if we should be in a decent place as a nation come October. 

Then we have the huge good fortune that this World Cup was designed to be focussed very narrowly geographically (which annoyed me at the time). Which makes our ability to manage bubbles and the risks associated with them much easier. 

On top of that, we have the “Red Wall”/build back Britain political narrative, against which this is an easy win (and I write that as a paid up Burnhamite). We also have, potentially, William and Kate wanting to show they are royals for all. There would be a lot of political capital in seeing this being delivered - it is by definition something that plays to their (please excuse the patronising term) Workington man idea. 

It will be more expensive and logistically more challenging, but finding a few more million amidst the billions being spent elsewhere to cover it looks like a very good idea to me. 

I simply can’t wait for it.

As a left wing TORY I totally agree with you:) SPOT ON 

Paul

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

They`ll come don`t sweat it.

That`s just the Aussies acting like they think how World Champions should act, toying with everyone , ` will we or won`t we`.

I guarantee you`d do exactly the same if the tables were reversed and you were world champions and the tournament was down here. It`s all part of the theatre.

On the plus side that's generating extra press coverage for the tournament.

Archived