World Cup in Doubt…Again

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

I do as I live next door, have seen the sacrifices the Warriors have made and keep a close eye on what going on generally in Australia and of course here. 

1) If any player feels he isn't up to going, that should be respected.

2) The clubs should butt out of the situation, it's not helpful when they make statements about preseason training being affected. It's international RL which they shouldn't have any influence over. 

3) If sufficient players wish to attend for a particular nation, then a team can be put together and represent their country. There are quite a few different nationalities already playing in the UK. Taking advantage of that will lessen international travel.  

4) Other sports are playing major tournaments. 

No one is saying this is easy for players, nations, the organisers but will 2022 be any easier? I'd like to see it done and move on. 

Agree. Ultimately, if the RLWC is able to fund the extra travel/biosecurity measures needed and the players want to play, that should be the end of it. 

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Agree. Ultimately, if the RLWC is able to fund the extra travel/biosecurity measures needed and the players want to play, that should be the end of it. 

Unfortunately it won’t be,the clubs will continue to push for its cancellation and V’Landys will roll over to keep them happy.

3 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

I don't mean to play devils advocate here, but you have to understand what the Covid situation is like over here. Players have spent large amount of times in bubbles to ensure the game goes ahead here. NZ Warriors players will have spent almost two years away from their homes due to COVID.

And with no end in sight to the quarantine restrictions and an appallingly slow vaccination rollout by our Government, I can completely understand why 500 players and officials from here would not want to travel to the UK for 2 months at the end of the season. It would put huge pressure on our incoming hotel quarantine facilities at the end of the tournament - and that's if players are granted an inwards travel exemption to return in the first place - otherwise they risk been stranded in the UK for months and months.

Someone also raised the Olympic example. The Government gave an exemption for Olympic athletes representing Australia. I think the public can accept that because they are representing Australia on the biggest stage. However a majority of the players going to the RLWC will be representing nations other than Australia, so the Government will find it more difficult to justify. It is quite political issue presently with disagreements between various levels of Government on how many travellers should come to Australia - given all our cases of COVID have come from returning travellers.

I love the RLWC - I've attended the last 3 of them. But given the current COVID situation, and the fact that more than half the players at the WC live in Australia, I really think 2021 is has come too soon during the pandemic. Postponing 12 months is the best solution in my view.

Also with regards to the Olympics, the team will be from all of Australia, whereas the RL players will effectively only be from NSW and Queensland (and not many from the latter if SOO is anything to go by). I can't see how the government could sell an exemption for us to the rest of the country. My mother was from South Australia and she wasn't exactly a fan of the East coast states!

53 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Unfortunately it won’t be,the clubs will continue to push for its cancellation and V’Landys will roll over to keep them happy.

If that happens it will be seismic.  All though I cannot help but think the RFL/SL would still just roll over like a puppy dog.

Lots hope it goes on. 

1 hour ago, Mark S said:

Could there not be a compromise where the tournament is delayed until Spring or Summer 2022? A month long break in the season won’t do any harm and the weather should be much nicer 

And disrupt the NRL and SOO? Like that will ever happen!!!

Not sure all the game cancellations will help....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

It will probably come as no surprise to anyone on this forum that there is so little airplay to this topic in the Australian media.

I would be surprised if anymore than 15% of the RL attending public even know the WC is due at the end of this year.

It really is a great shame. It’s not just the clubs that need to take flack here, the RL press and tv magazine shows in Aus give next to no airplay to international RL, which does no favours to drum up interest in the general public.

After SOO II, there was definitely opportunity to discuss an interesting subject around Kangaroos selection for the WC being dominated by NSW players. Not even a whimper.

36 minutes ago, Szymala said:

Games off in June. Wait until Oct/Nov....Aussies & Kiwis may choose to stay home.

When is a decision imminent ?

Yes but they are making the decision this week.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

13 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Is it no coincidence then that Shane Richardson, an respected administrator known to be respected in your part of the world, is assigned to produce a report( no doubt by the NRL, he has done others for them) basically saying here`s what needs to be done, or at least, you`ve got two years to do something up here or there won`t be a next TV deal and basically you`re on your own.

Bloody great coincidence if the month before the NRL pull the plug on the WC he`s up here basically saying you`re own your own, here`s some suggestions  now do something.

The amount the UK government has stumped up to fund the competition is comparable to a year's revenue for British RL. The cost of booking Wembley for a single game (£750K) is on a par with the funding for L1 clubs in a year. Obviously, we won't be paying as much as that for the stadia we're using, but the total will be millions of pounds.

There is essentially nothing that Richo could possibly suggest that would allow the RFL to recover from the impact of a cancellation.

3 hours ago, Szymala said:

Games off in June. Wait until Oct/Nov....Aussies & Kiwis may choose to stay home.

When is a decision imminent ?

WHAT!!! explain you want they World Cup called off at the last minute ? what about the fans who have to sort hotels i have tickets for both games in Newcastle so need to sort travel & hotel not something you do on the Friday before a game not unless you want to pay over the odds.

11 hours ago, Mark S said:

Could there not be a compromise where the tournament is delayed until Spring or Summer 2022? A month long break in the season won’t do any harm and the weather should be much nicer 

You really think the NRL would go for that - they don't even want the WC in the off season.

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yes, probably the worst time to convince people everything is fine... 

No deaths in the UK today and young fit healthy RL players getting covid - time to now treat this virus the same as a cold and crack on with life and RL.

*incoming unpopular opinion*

I WOULD RATHER WE POSTPONE WC UNTIL 2022

I have been adamant all along that the WC should happen this year, no matter what.  However, it has reached the point, where I think it would be best for it to happen next year.

One reason I want this is so we can have capacity crowds, as opposed to a WC with limited crowds.

Another reason is that I feel this whole pandemic has left tier 2 and 3 nations really far behind.  The "rich-poor" divide (let's call it) was already big, I feel having the WC in less than four months from now, will only magnify that.  A lot of those nations have not been able to prepare like they would normally (mid-season tests, training camps etc.) and a lot will not have seen their team-mates in over two years, let alone played together, by the time the WC comes around.  Quite different to Aus (let's face it, will be a 90% NSW team) and England with their recent match.

Also, I feel many countries will not be able to properly capitalise on the WC if their local activity is still being hindered in the lead-up to the WC and also afterwards.

And finally, (and least importantly) as someone who was planning on attending as many matches as possible, that will be an even harder task if the WC is held this year.

PS:  I am always a huge critic of NRL clubs and their lack of interest in the international game, but I do not think they are at fault this time.  Also, a postponement does not mean they will not eventually play in the WC anyway.

3 minutes ago, langpark said:

*incoming unpopular opinion*

I WOULD RATHER WE POSTPONE WC UNTIL 2022

I have been adamant all along that the WC should happen this year, no matter what.  However, it has reached the point, where I think it would be best for it to happen next year.

One reason I want this is so we can have capacity crowds, as opposed to a WC with limited crowds.

Another reason is that I feel this whole pandemic has left tier 2 and 3 nations really far behind.  The "rich-poor" divide (let's call it) was already big, I feel having the WC in less than four months from now, will only magnify that.  A lot of those nations have not been able to prepare like they would normally (mid-season tests, training camps etc.) and a lot will not have seen their team-mates in over two years, let alone played together, by the time the WC comes around.  Quite different to Aus (let's face it, will be a 90% NSW team) and England with their recent match.

Also, I feel many countries will not be able to properly capitalise on the WC if their local activity is still being hindered in the lead-up to the WC and also afterwards.

And finally, (and least importantly) as someone who was planning on attending as many matches as possible, that will be an even harder task if the WC is held this year.

PS:  I am always a huge critic of NRL clubs and their lack of interest in the international game, but I do not think they are at fault this time.  Also, a postponement does not mean they will not eventually play in the WC anyway.

As things stand, there is likely to be full capacity at sports grounds during the world cup, so that isn't an issue. And judging by how quickly some early events in the UK are selling out, there's a strong chance that the public will turn out well for the tournament. 

Your other points are reasonable however, and worth as least considering when the decision gets made. 

4 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

As things stand, there is likely to be full capacity at sports grounds during the world cup, so that isn't an issue. And judging by how quickly some early events in the UK are selling out, there's a strong chance that the public will turn out well for the tournament. 

Your other points are reasonable however, and worth as least considering when the decision gets made. 

Right, I did not know that about full capacity.  But if there's one thing the pandemic has taught us, it is how quickly the situation can turn.  I also wonder if RLWC2021 have set a deadline as to when they make the final decision by.  Because as I said, we are now less than 4 months away.

12 minutes ago, langpark said:

Right, I did not know that about full capacity.  But if there's one thing the pandemic has taught us, it is how quickly the situation can turn.  I also wonder if RLWC2021 have set a deadline as to when they make the final decision by.  Because as I said, we are now less than 4 months away.

There has never been any indication from the organisers that they have issues with holding the World Cup. Indeed things look as positive as they have here since the start of the pandemic. The only doubts have come from Australia and the NRL.

Just now, Damien said:

There has never been any indication from the organisers that they have issues with holding the World Cup. Indeed things look as positive as they have here since the start of the pandemic. The only doubts have come from Australia and the NRL.

They are plugging away, doing their thing with the mindset as though it is 100% happening this year (as they should).  But yes, the situation in Australia will play a huge role in all of this.  Given how many players are based there and how strict their govt. is, makes it a big issue, no matter how good the situation in the UK is.

1 minute ago, langpark said:

They are plugging away, doing their thing with the mindset as though it is 100% happening this year (as they should).  But yes, the situation in Australia will play a huge role in all of this.  Given how many players are based there and how strict their govt. is, makes it a big issue, no matter how good the situation in the UK is.

It's not the government though is it? They haven't been mentioned. It's the NRL and it's clubs. Please call it how it is and stop looking for excuses elsewhere. It's just the same as people last week were trying to deflect it on to the players then shock horror its not them. The parallels with the Denver test and the same deflection techniques are uncanny.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's not the government though is it? They haven't been mentioned. It's the NRL and it's clubs. Please call it how it is and stop looking for excuses elsewhere. It's just the same as people last week were trying to deflect it on to the players then shock horror its not them. The parallels with the Denver test and the same deflection techniques are uncanny.

How is it not the government?  Have you not read the news this week, that more than half the country is now in lockdown and that 5/8 of the NRL matches this weekend will be played behind closed doors?

I too would be hesitant to commit to anything given such uncertainty.

1 minute ago, langpark said:

How is it not the government?  Have you not read the news this week, that more than half the country is now in lockdown and that 5/8 of the NRL matches this weekend will be played behind closed doors?

I too would be hesitant to commit to anything given such uncertainty.

🛏💦

C’mon dude. What about other sports? The Olympics? Are they pulling out? No.

This is about the NRL.

In any case, the RLWC tournament doesn’t kick off until late October, by which time it’ll be late spring in Aussie. Things will probably have improved.

Keep calm and carry on.

Archived