World Cup in Doubt…Again

39 minutes ago, Derwent said:

5Live sports news bulletins today have been featuring a clip of Lindsay Hoyle expressing his opinion that the tournament should be deferred until next year.

Are there any reasons for this opinion being offered?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Are there any reasons for this opinion being offered?

He was interviewed for a Five Live podcast and said that it needs to be delayed so the sport can make maximum impact in 2022. I disagree but I don't think anyone is saying that his opinion counts for more than that of the people running the game.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

He was interviewed for a Five Live podcast and said that it needs to be delayed so the sport can make maximum impact in 2022. I disagree but I don't think anyone is saying that his opinion counts for more than that of the people running the game.

Thanks.  And was there are any particular reason given why the year delay would improve the impact?

We are seeing Wimbledon and the Euros continuing and not being particularly negatively impacted even with the reduced capacities and yet we have people recommending the first major tournament scheduled for this country after all restrictions on sports crowds are removed being postponed for 12 months. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Thanks.  And was there are any particular reason given why the year delay would improve the impact?

We are seeing Wimbledon and the Euros continuing and not being particularly negatively impacted even with the reduced capacities and yet we have people recommending the first major tournament scheduled for this country after all restrictions on sports crowds are removed being postponed for 12 months. 

I really feel we are being fed all this in preparation for a postponement.

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

I think you are right Dave. No news is certainly not good news.

It has also been weird that tickets have been off sale for quite a while now. Despite the fact they had a refund scheme in place which would have kicked in if needed. Surely it would have been better to get as much in the bank up front.

It's all feeling a touch weird, and it's the main reason I have held off spending a fortune on tickets and hotels etc.

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I just read a summary which said that the impact would be better for waiting. It's not an opinion I agree with and it wasn't fleshed out in the bit I read.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

26 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

True, but the two strongest nations in those competitions are not trying to have the tournament postponed, and our two strongest also probably value the World Cup a lot less than any persons/nations in Tennis and Soccer value Wimbledon or the Euros.   We care about the survival of RL in the Northern Hemisphere, but sadly few in Aus or NZ do.   I'd rather we went ahead with Aus or NZ teams made up of SL-based players and coaches, as there's more than enough quality to do that.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

That's certainly my fear too. From a covid point of view things couldn't be going better for the organisers compared to where we were at. Also in terms of the organisation its all a far slicker and better operation than 2013, which was itself incredibly successful. 

47 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

True, but the two strongest nations in those competitions are not trying to have the tournament postponed, and our two strongest also probably value the World Cup a lot less than any persons/nations in Tennis and Soccer value Wimbledon or the Euros.   We care about the survival of RL in the Northern Hemisphere, but sadly few in Aus or NZ do.   I'd rather we went ahead with Aus or NZ teams made up of SL-based players and coaches, as there's more than enough quality to do that.

The two strongest nations in RL aren't trying to get it postponed either.

I think  we are all aware why the World Cup is in doubt but unlike somebody posted on this forum a week ago we cant leave it till the last minute just for the Aussies sake, Rugby League fans need to be taken into account plus local business who where looking forward to a boost likes the City of Newcastle who have 2 games in one weekend. I need to sort hotel & travel from Devon for that weekend but with all this differing buy the people in charge of the World Cup decided to hold back, if its true that back in May they where ready to call it off then they should give the Aussies a ultimatum your joining us or not & cut off should be Challenge Cup final weekend 17th time to take in the fans views  like Red Rooster has pointed out all the travel deals are up & coming.

On 04/07/2021 at 10:02, THE RED ROOSTER said:

As one of those who will be travelling to Newcastle, Coventry/Bolton, Sheffield, Liverpool and Manchester, the time is fast approaching when the cheap tickets to those destinations come out. Therefore I certainly would appreciate it if any decision was Final to postpone or not postpone - no if's and no but's. and certainly not as in the song from the Oasis album - definately maybe which is we have at present.

Rant over 😡

Maybe its time we the fans let the World Cup organizers how we feel about all this differing E-Mail enquiries@rlwc2021.com

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

5Live sports news bulletins today have been featuring a clip of Lindsay Hoyle expressing his opinion that the tournament should be deferred until next year.

He's forgotten that playing the tournament at the same time next year will put it in the middle of the build up to the FIFA World Cup and get further lost.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Listening to the podcast now. Hoyle's comments about the RLWC are a very small part of it but as you suggest, probably no coincidence that was the bit getting repeated elsewhere.

Hoping to be at England v France on October 30th, but reckon Boreham Wood v Southend Utd is looking more likely...

12 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Listening to the podcast now. Hoyle's comments about the RLWC are a very small part of it but as you suggest, probably no coincidence that was the bit getting repeated elsewhere.

Hoping to be at England v France on October 30th, but reckon Boreham Wood v Southend Utd is looking more likely...

It'll be frustrating that we'll probably be watching other huge sporting events at that time if our comp is postponed. 

An email form Leeds has just landed in my inbox. One of the news items features this interesting passage :

"As the 2021 World Cup excitement starts to build, we're bringing the official England Rugby League merchandise to the Leeds Rhinos Merrion store. With the official kit and our latest off-field ranges being made available, you can get ready to support England."

This means either Leeds have been told nothing about any postponement or they are doing a very good job of hiding it. Either way, if clubs like Leeds are still promoting the world cup and it gets pulled it makes the game look even more shambolic.

4 minutes ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

An email form Leeds has just landed in my inbox. One of the news items features this interesting passage :

"As the 2021 World Cup excitement starts to build, we're bringing the official England Rugby League merchandise to the Leeds Rhinos Merrion store. With the official kit and our latest off-field ranges being made available, you can get ready to support England."

This means either Leeds have been told nothing about any postponement or they are doing a very good job of hiding it. Either way, if clubs like Leeds are still promoting the world cup and it gets pulled it makes the game look even more shambolic.

RLWC are still cracking on as though it is all on (apart from general ticket sales).

1 hour ago, Devon Ram said:

Maybe its time we the fans let the World Cup organizers how we feel about all this differing E-Mail enquiries@rlwc2021.com

I would agree with you there

The issue Sir Lindsay Hoyle highlights is that we have no idea as to how things will play out post 19th July and 16th August. We have seen England having to select a new ODI cricket side and several Super League fixtures cancelled. We have no way of telling how what will happen when large non-socially distanced crowds come back.

Equally we have no control over the situation in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands which is the current sticking point.

So I can see Sir Lindsay's point about deferring for a year by which time sports will have returned to near normal globally and we will be used to living with the virus.

The problem with all this is that as Devon Ram correctly states we are not going to know the impact of the lifting of restrictions for some time. You cannot wait until the last minute on this.

Equally what would be the board view if there is a COVID outbreak in one or more of the Teams once the Tournament has started and the chaos that would ensue as you cannot expect athletes to be cloistered in a bubble when the rest of the population is out and about.

But if they are going to make a decision then make it now so we all know where we stand.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

4 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Equally what would be the board view if there is a COVID outbreak in one or more of the Teams once the Tournament has started and the chaos that would ensue as you cannot expect athletes to be cloistered in a bubble when the rest of the population is out and about.

I think you can during a major tournament.

8 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

you cannot expect athletes to be cloistered in a bubble when the rest of the population is out and about.

How do you think the Olympics is going ahead?

If they are double jabbed it is meaningless if young fit and healthy athletes have COVID. They should either play or sit out the game if the symptoms are too much - just like they would with any other case of the flu.

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Delaying means we bin the first chance of a major post pandemic international tournament post covid and with england doing well in the association football, we can actually tap into that this year. Or we could stick our tournament on at the same time as a football world cup and lose virtually all coverage. I know which one I´d be choosing. 

The trouble is the Aussies don't care about any of that.

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

How do you think the Olympics is going ahead?

With a great deal of difficulty - see below

The Japanese public have been overwhelmingly against hosting the Games with a Kyodo News poll conducted in mid-May showing that 59.7 per cent of respondents want the Olympics to be called off.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1108739/tokyo-2020-olympics-public-poll

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-japan-considers-banning-spectators-from-tokyo-olympics-amid-surge-in-coronavirus-cases-12350762

I have bought tickets to the games (But not travel yet) so I have a vested interest in it going ahead but like Sir LIndsay I can see the problems in a County just coming out of lockdown restrictions.

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think you can during a major tournament.

That's easy to post on an internet forum not so easy if your spending 6/7 weeks in a bubble away from your family. We have lockdown restrictions here and in Australia now and you read on a daily basis lockdown breaches by players and officials with cancellations, bans and fines so it's reach to say things would be better in a more relaxed environment.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Archived