World Cup in Doubt…Again

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/07/2021 at 13:36, DI Keith Fowler said:

What's the source there? Looks like a gossip page to me. Wait and see.

That's the problem we have been waiting for somebody to make a decision while the news from down under isn't great, plus other World Cup countries beside the Aussies having Covid related problems IE lack of take up of the Covid jab.

13 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

That's the problem we have been waiting for somebody to make a decision while the news from down under isn't great, plus other World Cup countries beside the Aussies having Covid related problems IE lack of take up of the Covid jab.

yep- as I said earlier pacific islanders+ religion+ beliefs+ vaccinations = no world cup 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

28 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I´ll wait for confimation before I abuse the NRL.

Its a really difficult call and financially a nightmare with an extra year of salaries etc for the organisers.

However at the end of the day its a ticket driven event for profit so a 1 year delay IMHO would be the best decision.

Come on Boris time to put your hand in the pocket again :)))

Paul

While that tweet is speculation. what should be borne in mind is the difficulty the NRL is having getting players to go to Queensland let alone 24,000 miles away in October / November

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2021-covid-updates-relocation-andrew-abdo-peter-vlandys-queensland-latest-news-schedule-draw/news-story/46a1973ba98638ed71278d560ebd02d2

I would like to think as I type this, that the RFL have been in touch with the BBC as the broadcaster and the Government as a financial backer to source their views on the tournament being put back 12 months, and that the RFL will drive a hard bargain over the dates in 2022 to avoid the Soccer World Cup even if it inconveniences the NRL.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

The reason for the delay will be that it is inconvinient for the RFL. By October UK will have herd immunity even if a few players don´t want to be vaccinated on certain grounds. There is no way the NRL will say, "Sure, we´ll do it in June 2022" plus the grounds we want will be in use because of Prem season being moved for the Qatar Cup. So if people really want to go head to head with a world cup then good luck . 

Said this on more then one occasion its not just about the teams its also about us the fans we need to know once & for all is it happening ? has said on this post May was when the first decision was meant to be made we are now in the middle of July if it starts getting into August i will try to cancel my tickets for me its not just a quick trip over to Newcastle & back, time for the RFL to put some pressure on the teams who are differing.

1 hour ago, Monkeydo said:

If they went that far they'd have been round the world once and be around Singapore on the second lap 😂

Ok - 10,559.57 miles to be exact but when you have been opn a 23 Hour flight as many times as I have then It does seem like 24,000 miles 😫

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

RU but another example of other sports managing to continue:

Ireland will host Japan, New Zealand and Argentina in November as part of their autumn international series.

Japan will visit Dublin on Saturday 6 November, followed by the All Blacks a week later.

The Test series will be rounded off with a clash against the Pumas on Sunday 21 November.

Andy Farrell's side were already scheduled to begin their autumn campaign away to the USA in Las Vegas on Saturday 30 October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57810943

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

The Lions are trying everything in the powers to keep their tour alive, the NRL are doing everything to find an excuse not to come.

The problem with RL is the tail wags the dog. If conditions in the UK allow for a WC with spectators, do it. If some players or a country won’t or feel they cannot participate, so be it. View it as a celebration of the game and to give the fans something to enjoy during a pretty depressing time in the world presently. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

It is hidden behind a pay wall, but this very promising article just went up online in a News Corp regional paper

I can't see the full article, but the text that appears with it in the google search has excellent news, saying:

EDIT:

And their sports home page now has this:

46 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

It is hidden behind a pay wall, but this very promising article just went up online in a News Corp regional paper

I can't see the full article, but the text that appears with it in the google search has excellent news, saying:

EDIT:

Thanks mate.  Bit more here.  I couldn’t link the Telegraph piece but here’s another.

https://twitter.com/MCarayannis/status/1414832496005435392?s=20

Chartered flights with costs covered by RLWC organisers, vaccs  by end of August, going ahead despite some big names maybe not going, announcement at end of week.

Last Edit!  I would imagine having our grounds back to full capacity for the next month or so will fine tune our control measures as well.

On 11/07/2021 at 13:18, The Rocket said:

The ridiculous part of it all is that they would probably be safer in England than they are here, given the absolute shambles our vaccine roll-out has degenerated into. And with no end in site unfortunately. News breaking this afternoon of teams entering the bubble again for at least a month and reports of the Fijian national rugby union side refusing to wear jumpers with a pro-vaccine message on the weekend rings a few alarm bells whether we are going to see the same sort of anti-vaxxer issues with the League team. Things getting very messy, not feeling so optimistic now unfortunately.

I'd have to disagree. With cases at 30 odd thousand a day and forecast to rise to anything between 50,000 to 100,000 as restrictions are relaxed, then England is hardly a safe place. 

As can be seen with the British Lions tour, it would be a huge risk to try and stage the WC.

10 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

I'd have to disagree. With cases at 30 odd thousand a day and forecast to rise to anything between 50,000 to 100,000 as restrictions are relaxed, then England is hardly a safe place. 

As can be seen with the British Lions tour, it would be a huge risk to try and stage the WC.

I think the assumption would be that by October the exit wave will have peaked and cases will be on the way down again. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

So how will outbreaks within teams be handled? Vaccinations doesn't stop players getting ill and with it being highly contagious, like now teams could lose half a dozen players.

I've bought tickets, I want to go, but it risks descending into chaos.

8 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

So how will outbreaks within teams be handled? Vaccinations doesn't stop players getting ill and with it being highly contagious, like now teams could lose half a dozen players.

We'll do it however Euro 2020 did it I'd guess. I've not followed the reasons why the Great Britain Rugby Union Lions TM tour in South Africa has descended into chaos but I know far bigger sporting events than our World Cup are happening right now without mass cancellation of games. I think whatever is going on with SL teams is skewing people's assessment of risk.

We'll go up in numbers, then peak, then decline as vaccine immunity and natural immunity builds day on day. I don't endorse this plan but it's what's happening and I'd be surprised if cases are still surging in October. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

9 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

They’ll step back isolation protocols first. Only positive cases will need to isolate not close contacts - it’s the secondary bit which has hurt teams more than actual positive cases

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

yep- as I said earlier pacific islanders+ religion+ beliefs+ vaccinations = no world cup 

Just to turn it about-face, do we actually want these people visiting our shores who have not been vaccinated? But for the lax way the government allowed the delta variant to take hold here we could have been out of this a while ago, for weeks we had newscasts telling us how bad Covid was in India then the government allowed people to travel there and back, let's not risk it again with a possible Polynesian type variant.

14 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

middle of august they have said that you will not need to isolate as a close contact who has been double jabbed. 

If you have been double jabbed the large majority of people basically have a heavy cold/flu like symptoms. The issue has always been around the hospitalisations vs infections which is not happening in such a large ratio.

22 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

The suggestion in the recent links, see above, are that Teams are being asked to come with expanded squads.  Doesn’t say what size.

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

EDIT:

I can't help but think that a WC without the best player's on the planet will be a catastrophe, I would get no pleasure whatsoever in an England victory without the competition being a true test.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

I can't help but think that a WC without the best player's on the planet will be a catastrophe, I would get no pleasure whatsoever in an England victory without the competition being a true test.

It’s the clubs with the problem. If the players Union gets on board (or the players ignore their clubs) all the best players will still come over

Archived