World Cup in Doubt…Again

42 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Personally, I think a single standalone international weekend after the origin series is essential. Suddenly the origin series becomes a high profile, six week ad for test football, as players compete for test selection. Then that test weekend becomes a high profile ad for the post season tests to follow.

Interesting idea. Tier two nations would benefit from having their players back, as well as the obvious advantage of having played Origin.

Where would it leave NZ though, sitting around waiting for Origin to finish and then coming up a battle hardened Aussie team, which was always the problem before.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

A generally overlooked part of Australian apathy towards international rugby league is its timing: a lot of people simply stop watching rugby league after the grand final. Even last year's state of origin TV ratings dipped considerably. That is added to other factors like poor organisation, lack of consistent competitiveness over what is now generations and the fact clubs are so hostile to it (because unlike origin, it doesn't make them money). Here's hoping the world cup is a massive success and beyond that, a proper well organised international schedule is set in stone.

Personally, I think a single standalone international weekend after the origin series is essential. Suddenly the origin series becomes a high profile, six week ad for test football, as players compete for test selection. Then that test weekend becomes a high profile ad for the post season tests to follow.

Absolutely spot on. It seemed as if we were trending toward three standalone origns/rep weekends with the introduction of regular mid-season pacific tests over the last decade, unfortunately the current admin appears to be repealing all the good work that has gone into establishing those games as a regular fixture in the calendar. 

I've got pretty grave concerns for the direction of the NRL/ARLC in this respect, V'landys has shown nothing but utter contempt for the game outside of NSW and QLD. There has been plenty of good done for the international game in the SH in recent times but I can't help but feel that progress is starting to be repealed. Fingers crossed there are no further issues relating to this WC as a result of the admin bowing to clubs.

Archived