World Cup in Doubt…Again

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sports Prophet said:

You may be right. But the article does mention players and clubs.

The article certainly doesn’t mention this is the position of the NRL either. So for now, forum members should direct their displeasure at the clubs, not the NRL.

Until the NRL comes out and condemns the clubs ridiculous stance they deserve any criticism they get.

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Until the NRL comes out and condemns the clubs ridiculous stance they deserve any criticism they get.

You want the NRL to condemn their most valuable assets i.e. the players?

Condemn players who likely have expressed their own personal concerns and contending with the reservations of their individual families around the topic of travelling from one of the most Covid safe nations in the world to participate in a WC, hosted in one of the world’s worst affected Covid nations.

14 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

Condemn players who likely have expressed their own personal concerns and contending with the reservations of their individual families around the topic of travelling from one of the most Covid safe nations in the world to participate in a WC, hosted in one of the world’s worst affected Covid nations.

Don’t know what you’ve been reading but for your benefit I’ve included my post which as you can see makes no mention of criticising players.

3 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

England is currently hosting matches in a competition multidudes bigger than the WC and NRL combined. Unless something drastic happens between now and the Autumn the reasons just seem a bit feeble? It strikes more as the NRL clubs looking after themselves than a genuine concern for player welfare.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

8 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Before people jump in with both feet do remember Australia has stricter quarantine requirements than the UK

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/COVID-19

Please also note there is a current dispute about the England Cricketers wives and families not being allowed into Australia over Christmas.

It's not insurmountable as a logistics exercise, but they are legitimate concerns from NRL players as much as their clubs.And remember tha majority of players will be coming from the NRL.

I would expect the WC to go ahead unless things here take a turn for the worse.

I would like to see some stats on the majority of players coming from the nrl...

I doubt that is the case and can you put a percentage on this please

33 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The world cup is in China?

Thats news to me

34 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Don’t know what you’ve been reading but for your benefit I’ve included my post which as you can see makes no mention of criticising players.

You are right, you made no mention of the players. The article does mention players have expressed concerns too. So if you want the NRL to condemn players, I assumed you had employed the same logic to the players also.

31 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

England is currently hosting matches in a competition multidudes bigger than the WC and NRL combined. Unless something drastic happens between now and the Autumn the reasons just seem a bit feeble? It strikes more as the NRL clubs looking after themselves than a genuine concern for player welfare.

I’m not sure if you are disagreeing with me or not. I’m just saying that if people are not happy with the sentiments in the article of the players and clubs around the WC taking place in 2021, then they should direct their displeasure at those parties and not the NRL.

To get an insight into the minds of the players, a player poll was recently completed by the Sydney Morning Herald on a range of topics including this one. Unfortunately it's not a great sample size as there were only 100 players involved but nonetheless this was the result.

Would you feel comfortable travelling to the UK for the World Cup at the end of the year given the COVID-19 situation around the world?

Yes 66%
No 34%

22 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

You are right, you made no mention of the players. The article does mention players have expressed concerns too. So if you want the NRL to condemn players, I assumed you had employed the same logic to the players also.

I’m not sure if you are disagreeing with me or not. I’m just saying that if people are not happy with the sentiments in the article of the players and clubs around the WC taking place in 2021, then they should direct their displeasure at those parties and not the NRL.

Why do you keep saying I’m criticising players after agreeing I didn’t criticise the players 😂

10 minutes ago, UTK said:

To get an insight into the minds of the players, a player poll was recently completed by the Sydney Morning Herald on a range of topics including this one. Unfortunately it's not a great sample size as there were only 100 players involved but nonetheless this was the result.

Would you feel comfortable travelling to the UK for the World Cup at the end of the year given the COVID-19 situation around the world?

Yes 66%
No 34%

That's fairly clear. Also adding the words feel comfortable is quite different than just asking would you. I think that many more would but may not necessarily be comfortable doing so.

20 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I have to say, I am not one for grand statements but if the World Cup is put in jeopardy after all the wonderful organization & efforts and the opportunity it presents to the game as a whole so that NRL teams can play their players in a trial then I may just go and find something else to enjoy.

I'm in this camp at the moment. Really looking forward to the World Cup and have tickets for plenty of games, both for beery ones with mates and days out with the family. If this gets moved back I appreciate my tickets would likely still be valid for next year, but I'd be sorely tempted to ask for a refund and spend my money on a serious sport.

12 hours ago, UTK said:

Yes 66%
No 34%

That’s very interesting. One third at the time of asking were not comfortable.

I can fully appreciate their hesitance. 

39 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

That’s very interesting. One third at the time of asking were not comfortable.

I can fully appreciate their hesitance. 

Simples, ask who doesnt feel comfortable and then dont select them into the squad...

This is what the NFL did last season

15 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Simples, ask who doesnt feel comfortable and then dont select them into the squad...

This is what the NFL did last season

Yep, I’m happy with that too, but the players union may think differently.

If the union took a decision that the 2021 RLWC unnecessarily risks its members, then you have a united body potentially pressuring the NRL and the IRL for a postponement.

They may not bow to that pressure. Maybe they would.

36 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yep, I’m happy with that too, but the players union may think differently.

If the union took a decision that the 2021 RLWC unnecessarily risks its members, then you have a united body potentially pressuring the NRL and the IRL for a postponement.

They may not bow to that pressure. Maybe they would.

Shouldn't the RPLA support their members interests? i.e. ensure those who are uncomfortable or don't want to go to the World Cup are not coerced into going, while supporting the rights of those that do want to go

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Shouldn't the RPLA support their members interests? i.e. ensure those who are uncomfortable or don't want to go to the World Cup are not coerced into going, while supporting the rights of those that do want to go

That is certainly another viewpoint and you won’t get an argument out of me. I think it’s a simple matter of if some players don’t want to go, then you send the best team of players that do want to go.

I just know that unions don’t always work in that manner though. 

Regardless, it’s all just a few minor comments for now and I haven’t seen any extra attention paid to this topic in the Australian media since, so I am still a little sceptical about the whole matter and story. I have no doubt the clubs do not want their players travelling. I have no doubt there are a few players that might think twice about going. But for now, I don’t see the NRL pulling the Kangaroos from competing.

On 24/06/2021 at 15:00, Man of Kent said:

NRL clubs voice World Cup concerns
The World Cup is in danger of falling apart just one week after being given the green light to go ahead.

Clubs are leading the calls for the tournament to be postponed to next year after conjecture surrounding the late return of its star players to pre-season training in the new year. Club bosses voiced their concerns to the NRL during a phone hook-up this week, which resulted in discussions between the governing body and tournament organisers.

Players who make the final on November 26 will not return to their club side until February – and may not feature in a trial match - given the leave period and quarantine requirements.

That and the ongoing uncertainty surrounding Covid-19 is what is concerning clubs.

The issue could blow up in the next couple of weeks.

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys confirmed club’s had reservations about having their best players travel overseas.

“We are dealing with the World Cup organisers and they are aware of the difficulty we have in relation to the clubs and players,” V’landys said.

“We are working through those at the moment. I totally respect the clubs and players’ feelings and we are expressing those to the organisers.

“Naturally we would like to support the international game, but we are making the organisers aware of the feelings of the clubs and players.

“There are three concerns – the players, the clubs and logistics around the quarantine requirements.

“They are some difficult obstacles to overcome but we certainly have made them aware of the clubs, players and our own views concerning quarantine.”

International Rugby League chairman Troy Grant is aware of the concerns and is optimistic they will be resolved.

The World Cup is pivotal in ensuring the financial stability of the struggling northern hemisphere nations.

If the World Cup does not go ahead, a number of Tests involving Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Lebanon and Fiji may take place.

That last paragraph says it all !!!

Seeing as the IRL actually run the game, if they deemed there was no good reason to postpone the WC, they could insist it goes ahead. If certain countries refuse to go, then other nations could be added and still have the WC. The thing is the IRL don't have the clout that Australian RL has so if the latter say no, then it doesn't happen. The tail wags the dog. 

Would people still go to a WC without certain major nations participating? I know it wouldn't dampen my interest in the tournament one jot but others may feel differently.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived