Price PC blunder

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Price Interview comments on twitter - So much for RL being an inclusive sport when you get comments like this from a SL head coach

What does it mean ''Mong strength''? 

11 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Price Interview comments on twitter - So much for RL being an inclusive sport when you get comments like this from a SL head coach

Plenty of rl fans appear to be happy for Price to use phrases like this, and anyone complaining is just woke. See social media and the match thread for this.

2 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

A 'Mong' is a derogatory term of a person with Downs Syndrome, and other similar associated disabilities. These people often have a physical strength that is above average 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

4 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Some people believe that when someone with learning difficulties/special needs gets wound up they can appear to be significantly stronger than expected.

10 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Hasn’t this already been done to death  last night by your fellow Saints snowflake,that Warrington loss last week really has upset the folk of St Helens.

Maybe I'm wrong not getting the pitch folk out but is he not just shortening the word mongrel in that typical Aussie way, mongrel being commonly used as in players showing a bit of mongrel when talking about fight and desire?

Now I know it means different here but I don't think that was the meaning he meant.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Maybe I'm wrong not getting the pitch folk out but is he not just shortening the word mongrel in that typical Aussie way, mongrel being commonly used as in players showing a bit of mongrel when talking about fight and desire?

Possibly but that explanation won’t fit some people’s agendas 

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Now I know it means different here but I don't think that was the meaning he meant.

Mong strength is a specific phrase.

Almost certainly not. I've never heard anyone shorten mongrel to mong. Mong has long been a derogatory word for people with down syndrome

8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Hasn’t this already been done to death  last night by your fellow Saints snowflake,that Warrington loss last week really has upset the folk of St Helens.

Your seriously trying to defend him using terms like 'mong' in a televised interview. This is every bit as offensive a terms used based around someones race, colour or religion.

I'm sure high profile Warrington fans like Adam Hills are delighted with their head coach using terms like this in TV interviews.

I guess your OK then if he starts referring to Inglis as a fat crippled 'Abo' based on his overweight body structure, his constant injuries and his racial background.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

nobody in the history of mankind has ever shortened mongrel like that. it makes no grammatical sense.

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

It was exactly the meaning he meant.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Damien said:

Well a simple search does say its used that way

mong

[ muhng, mong ]SHOW IPA

noun Australian.

mongrel, especially a mongrel dog.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/mong

Now, find examples of +strength that make sense beyond the also well understood, and apparently, well known phrase used.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Well a simple search does say its used that way

mong

[ muhng, mong ]SHOW IPA

noun Australian.

mongrel, especially a mongrel dog.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/mong

have you ever heard anyone ever, refer to a mongrel dog as a mong dog?

I'm 44, my family have rehomed a number of non 'pure bred' dogs from the rspca over those 44 years, i've had many conversations with people, whilst walking, and talking to others about them.

not once has anyone either corrected me, or said, unprompted 'mong dog'

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It was exactly the meaning he meant.

😆 Yeah right

I've heard plenty of aussie commentators in the NRL refer to players as mongrels, when those players are perceived to have a bit of fight or aggression in their play.

Even the supposed shortened version of 'mong' has no reference to physical strength

3 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

have you ever heard anyone ever, refer to a mongrel dog as a mong dog?

I'm 44, my family have rehomed a number of non 'pure bred' dogs from the rspca over those 44 years, i've had many conversations with people, whilst walking, and talking to others about them.

not once has anyone either corrected me, or said, unprompted 'mong dog'

It is irrelevant what I think and know. It is a term that is obviously used in Australia that is short for mongrel dog and Price is Australian. You may not like it because it doesn't suit your agenda but its a fact:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/mong

mongin British English

(mʌŋ)
NOUN
Australian informal short for mongrel

1 minute ago, Saint Toppy said:

😆 Yeah right

I've heard plenty of aussie commentators in the NRL refer to players as mongrels, when those players are perceived to have a bit of fight or aggression in their play.

Even the supposed shortened version of 'mong' has no reference to physical strength

Excellent.

So, like Damien, off you go and find that +strength used in that way.

It is irrelevant what I think and know. It is a term that is obviously used in Australia that is short for mongrel dog. You may not like it because it doesn't suit your agenda but its a fact:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/mong

mongin British English

(mʌŋ)
NOUN
Australian informal short for mongrel

And where in that definition is there any reference to a players strength, which is exactly the phrase Price used 'Mong Strength'

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

You may not like it because it doesn't suit your agenda but its a fact:

Just an FYI - you don't get paid for everytime you type the word agenda.

Can you find me an example of an Australian using the phrase mong strength to refer to mongrel dogs being stronger than pure breed dogs and then applying that to humans?

Archived