Price PC blunder

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Culturally insensitive and derogatory in the UK is how I see it and I think there should be some form of further punishment for Price from Warrington and quite possibly The RFL.

Warrington are very good in terms of the LDRL and PDRL and I think were the driving force behind the formation of at least one of those branches of the game, so it’s a bit of a big blow for the people involved in that.  It’s similar to the Tony Clubb incident in that there’s two very clear camps on this and neither are particularly likely to back down or change their view. 

very true, the problem being one of those camps is in favour of trying to make the world a better place for everyone.

the other..

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Damien said:

Maybe I'm wrong not getting the pitch folk out but is he not just shortening the word mongrel in that typical Aussie way, mongrel being commonly used as in players showing a bit of mongrel when talking about fight and desire?

Now I know it means different here but I don't think that was the meaning he meant.

We do shorten heaps of words here however we don’t shorten “mongrel” in Australia. Well I’ve never heard it shortened ever in my life.

”Mong” is also used by some as an insult. It’s not commonly used though, but it’s known.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Once again, just like in the homophobia threads or the racist threads, if you are against people being racist or homophobic you are attacked for being woke, bleeding-hearted liberal , professionally offended, PC-brigade. 

When will these attacks on people stop? 

Regarding professionally offended Dave, regardless of this instance there are a number of people who go out of their way to be offended by stuff. People for example who have never heard of rugby league but will now be calling for Price to be hung drawn and quartered for his comment. It was a tasteless comment and he should know better, but it’s probably quite common among people of his age in Australia and I doubt he even thought about what it actually means before he said it.  

4 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Well if you want my "agenda" i'll tell you about it

I've got a child who has special needs, he's attending a mainstream school which has been a difficult choice to maintain. I got invited to sports day a year or 2 back, which was pretty momentous has he struggles with  physical activity but the school worked really hard to make sure he was confident enough to take part. 

I was stood watching him take part and some other kids who were waiting their turn nearby started making fun of him, and used the term we're talking about, not knowing his mother and I were there.

It was heartbreaking to hear, i wouldn't wish on anyone having to witness their child being referred to in such a way, and its disapointing to hear the coach of my team use it in such a throwaway manner AND people on here defending and making excuses for him.

All of this.

We're apparently an inclusive sport.

But here we have people going out of their way to excuse completely someone using a highly offensive term - the kind that would drive disabled supporters and players away as they would know that anywhere that used it was not somewhere they wanted to be or wanted them there.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Well if you want my "agenda" i'll tell you about it

I've got a child who has special needs, he's attending a mainstream school which has been a difficult choice to maintain. I got invited to sports day a year or 2 back, which was pretty momentous has he struggles with  physical activity but the school worked really hard to make sure he was confident enough to take part. 

I was stood watching him take part and some other kids who were waiting their turn nearby started making fun of him, and used the term we're talking about, not knowing his mother and I were there.

It was heartbreaking to hear, i wouldn't wish on anyone having to witness their child being referred to in such a way, and its disapointing to hear the coach of my team use it in such a throwaway manner AND people on here defending and making excuses for him.

Once again a personal reflection has hammered home the real point.

Whether Price meant what he said or it was a slip of the tongue he needs to come out and apologise.

We cannot in any way legitimise the use of this type of language as it just endorses another generation who will make fun and bully.  I know some people think a reaction to this is PC or Woke or whatever that all means, but I see it as just setting a good example that you shouldn't use this type of language. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Regarding professionally offended Dave, regardless of this instance there are a number of people who go out of their way to be offended by stuff. People for example who have never heard of rugby league but will now be calling for Price to be hung drawn and quartered for his comment. It was a tasteless comment and he should know better, but it’s probably quite common among people of his age in Australia and I doubt he even thought about what it actually means before he said it.  

Do they need to be Rugby League fans to be (understandably) offended by someone using derogatory language?

Some folks know what I do for a living. Working with people with learning disabilities both professionally and voluntarily, a group I consider to be the most marginalised and discriminated against in society, hearing such terms pizzes me off disproportionately to almost anything else.

However, if Steve Price was genuinely using colloquial aussie lingo, at the very least he needs to be explaining that, apologising and taking on board the disambiguation presented here. Only he will know in what context he was using that phrase.

I'm now trying find any evidence to suggest 'mong' is aussie slang for Mongrel..... but I'm towin wi that.

Robin Evans (RNLD).

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Do they need to be Rugby League fans to be (understandably) offended by someone using derogatory language?

It's just a distraction tactic. Instead of talking about Price and his appalling comments, we should talk about nameless, faceless people on the internet who are not even here. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It just feels like you're excusing him because you've made up a person in your head to get annoyed about. You can just stick to the facts and say it's obviously unacceptable what he's said and he needs to apologise/make amends. I don't know why you're bringing the perceptions of others into it.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Once again, just like in the homophobia threads or the racist threads, if you are against people being racist or homophobic you are attacked for being woke, bleeding-hearted liberal , professionally offended, PC-brigade. 

When will these attacks on people stop? 

I've not done that Dave. All I have done is suggesting that the word has a different meaning in Australia and so his phrase could well have had a different meaning than ours. Maybe giving people the benefit of the doubt is wrong. If he meant it in the way that some have taken it then that is very wrong and he should have the book thrown at him. I am just not convinced by that. If he was English my opinion would be very different. Either way what he said was wrong in the country and I should imagine he will be very embarrassed and will apologise. I'm sure he will also be punished accordingly.

Anyhow I'll bow out of this thread as its turned into a pile on and I've little more to add.

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Some folks know what I do for a living. Working with people with learning disabilities both professionally and voluntarily, a group I consider to be the most marginalised and discriminated against in society, hearing such terms pizzes me off disproportionately to almost anything else.

However, if Steve Price was genuinely using colloquial aussie lingo, at the very least he needs to be explaining that, apologising and taking on board the disambiguation presented here. Only he will know in what context he was using that phrase.

I'm now trying find any evidence to suggest 'mong' is aussie slang for Mongrel..... but I'm towin wi that.

Robin Evans (RNLD).

Robin - please take this in the spirit it is intended, it is a genuine question, but I have had a couple of discussions over the years with you where you have defended insulting and offensive terms being used - why is this one different?

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I've not done that Dave. All I have done is suggesting that the word has a different meaning in Australia and so his phrase could well have had a different meaning than ours. Maybe giving people the benefit of the doubt is wrong. If he meant it in the way that some have taken it then that is very wrong and he should have the book thrown at him. I am just not convinced by that. If he was English my opinion would be very different. Either way what he said was wrong in the country and I should imagine he will be very embarrassed and will apologise. I'm sure he will also be punished accordingly.

Anyhow I'll bow out of this thread as its turned into a pile on and I've little more to add.

I don't think you used any of those phrases I quoted Damien (without going back and checking) - it was aimed at those who directly used those quotes. 

I don't agree with your position, but I understand the point you are making, I just think you are being very generous to Price.

11 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Culturally insensitive and derogatory in the UK is how I see it and I think there should be some form of further punishment for Price from Warrington and quite possibly The RFL.

Warrington are very good in terms of the LDRL and PDRL and I think were the driving force behind the formation of at least one of those branches of the game, so it’s a bit of a big blow for the people involved in that.  It’s similar to the Tony Clubb incident in that there’s two very clear camps on this and neither are particularly likely to back down or change their view. 

I completely agree with this. I was actually thinking of the Clubb incident too.

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Once again a personal reflection has hammered home the real point.

Whether Price meant what he said or it was a slip of the tongue he needs to come out and apologise.

We cannot in any way legitimise the use of this type of language as it just endorses another generation who will make fun and bully.  I know some people think a reaction to this is PC or Woke or whatever that all means, but I see it as just setting a good example that you shouldn't use this type of language. 

The club has come out and apologised and condemned him, but I don't think we have seen anything directly from Price himself, outside of the press conference. 

He does need to do something publicly.

50 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Your seriously trying to defend him using terms like 'mong' in a televised interview. This is every bit as offensive a terms used based around someones race, colour or religion.

I'm sure high profile Warrington fans like Adam Hills are delighted with their head coach using terms like this in TV interviews.

I guess your OK then if he starts referring to Inglis as a fat crippled 'Abo' based on his overweight body structure, his constant injuries and his racial background.

Ooh,nice late edit to bring the racial card in.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Robin - please take this in the spirit it is intended, it is a genuine question, but I have had a couple of discussions over the years with you where you have defended insulting and offensive terms being used - why is this one different?

A couple of reasons.

1. I try to take every case individually and judge based on available evidence. Add to that, that I'm a pretty easy going sort that doesn't  necessarily always see the bad in folk and/or readily leap to the worst case judgement and oft explore the benefit of doubt more than perhaps I ought.

2. I am a senior nurse in a learning disabilities team. I see discrimination, abuse, marginalisation and exclusion on a daily basis. Learning disabilities service provision and access to healthcare is a passion of mine and as such I get more than a lot annoyed when I see abusive terms used to described the most discriminated group of people in our society. So I jump on it much more fiercely as by and large, learning dis lives don't matter to huge swathes of people.

9 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Robin Evans (RNLD).

Aussie here. I’ve never heard “Mong” used for “mongrel”.

”Mong” is an occasionally used insult. I don’t really know what it means.

We shorten other things like remove the -stan from “Pakistan” and that was even used in newspapers etc in the same innocent way others use Brits or Kiwis…. Now that shocks uk visitors to Australia!

2 minutes ago, Copa said:

Aussie here. I’ve never heard “Mong” used for “mongrel”.

”Mong” is an occasionally used insult. I don’t really know what it means.

We shorten other things like remove the -stan from “Pakistan” and that was even used in newspapers etc in the same innocent way others use Brits or Kiwis…. Now that shocks uk visitors to Australia!

"Mongolian idiot" is an archaic medical term used to described specifically people with Down syndrome. Down used the term as he believed people with Down syndrome shared facial similarities to people with the Mongolian race.

It has not been used in medical, nursing terms in my lifetime, but the shortened version of "Mong" is now used as a vile term of abuse. 

Price has ballsed up here. I think he can get ready

I was shocked to hear the comment. I believe that we have a much more lax attitude in society towards disability discrimination compared to racism, which is wrong (you can see that by the way that the word in question is used frequently on this thread, in a way that racist language would not be).

If the Aussie use of the word is an abbreviation of mongrel, though, then it is a simple case of crossed wires and should just be dealt with a quiet word as to the English interpretation and an apology.

If not, then it should be severely punished.

Warrington have released a statement anyway 

https://warringtonwolves.com/news/2021/june/Club-Statement-Steve-Price-Sky-Sports-interview/

33 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

If they didn’t hear it then why would they be offended? If they seek it out to be offended by it then that’s what I’m talking about. 

31 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

It just feels like you're excusing him because you've made up a person in your head to get annoyed about. You can just stick to the facts and say it's obviously unacceptable what he's said and he needs to apologise/make amends. I don't know why you're bringing the perceptions of others into it.

I’m not excusing him, and I haven’t invented anyone. Stop being so hysterical. 

2 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I was shocked to hear the comment. I believe that we have a much more lax attitude in society towards disability discrimination compared to racism, which is wrong (you can see that by the way that the word in question is used frequently on this thread, in a way that racist language would not be).

If the Aussie use of the word is an abbreviation of mongrel, though, then it is a simple case of crossed wires and should just be dealt with a quiet word as to the English interpretation and an apology.

If not, then it should be severely punished.

Warrington have released a statement anyway 

https://warringtonwolves.com/news/2021/june/Club-Statement-Steve-Price-Sky-Sports-interview/

To be fair that statement is pathetic. Warrington need to greatly expand on that and include words from Price.

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The club has come out and apologised and condemned him, but I don't think we have seen anything directly from Price himself, outside of the press conference. 

He does need to do something publicly.

How about giving him some time to do that? Did you expect him to arrange a press conference at 7am? 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

How about giving him some time to do that? Did you expect him to arrange a press conference at 7am? 

Both Sky Sports and Warrington Wolves have apologised on his behalf.

They have done that already.

Archived