Price PC blunder

14 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I'm sure high profile Warrington fans like Adam Hills are delighted with their head coach using terms like this in TV interviews.

The Last Leg is on tonight.

You could always tweet an #isitok at him.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gingerjon said:

Excellent.

So, like Damien, off you go and find that +strength used in that way.

You are obviously intent on using your pitchfolk. I am more open minded. Oh and I did search setting my VPN to Australia and couldn't find any Australian specific results. Did in the UK though but I admit its a term I have never heard before.

Clearly Mong is a derogatory term but assessing the phrase in the interview...

The name drop of John Bateman is key here.  Bateman is often described as having a bit of mongrel in him... a none derogatory term for a player with a fighting spirit.  He wouldn't be calling Bateman a 'Mong'.

I think perhaps Price meant to reference Mongrel but got it wrong and ended up saying 'Mong Strength' which comes across very badly.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Damien said:

You are obviously intent on using your pitchfolk. I am more open minded. Oh and I did search setting my VPN to Australia and couldn't find any Australian specific results. Did in the UK though but I admit its a term I have never heard before.

So thats a no then, with the only known link between the term 'mong' and strength is in reference to the derogatory term for a person with down syndrome

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

18 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Possibly but that explanation won’t fit some people’s agendas 

Some people  are happy to cross the road to make and argument.

Certainly 'mongrel is a well worn Aussie phrase.

Frankly I am fed up with all the bleedinhearts.

Just now, Dunbar said:

Clearly Mong is a derogatory term but assessing the phrase in the interview...

The name drop of John Bateman is key here.  Bateman is often described as having a bit of mongrel in him... a none derogatory term for a player with a fighting spirit.  He wouldn't be calling Bateman a 'Mong'.

I think perhaps Price meant to reference Mongrel but got it wrong and ended up saying 'Mong Strength' which comes across very badly.

Or Price uses the phrase Mong Strength whenever he wants to describe 'freakish strength' like Bateman has. I don't think we need to try and work out a defence for him. What he said makes perfect sense.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

He didn't say mongrel. He said Mong Strength.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Or Price uses the phrase Mong Strength whenever he wants to describe 'freakish strength' like Bateman has. I don't think we need to try and work out a defence for him. What he said makes perfect sense.

In which case what he said was offensive.  I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, andyscoot said:

Just an FYI - you don't get paid for everytime you type the word agenda.

Can you find me an example of an Australian using the phrase mong strength to refer to mongrel dogs being stronger than pure breed dogs and then applying that to humans?

Just an FYI - I know and its just as well as I have rarely used it in near 12,000 posts.

No because your question is pure nonsense. If you have never used the term mongrel used in Rugby League and players showing a bit of mongrel then you cant watch much of it.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Which is no different to what you're doing, no?

We can find a million examples of the use of "mong strength" or "retard strength" to refer to disproportionate strength of people with down syndrome. You can't find one example of the phrase "mong strength" being used to refer to a mongrel dog being disproportionately strong.

Who is the one that is reaching to back up their argument, then? You will automatically side with the alleged offender regardless of what is said...

Just now, Damien said:

Just an FYI - I know and its just as well as I have rarely used it in near 12,000 posts.

No because your question is pure nonsense. If you have never used the term mongrel used in Rugby League and players showing a bit of mongrel then you cant watch much of it.

I have; i've never heard it shortened to mong. I've also never heard of the phrase mongrel strength either. 

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

You are obviously intent on using your pitchfolk.

To be honest, yes.

But then I sort of think that even accidentally - and I don't see anything accidental here - using incredibly derogatory language should be the kind of thing you should be immediately embarrassed about and apologise for, at least.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

You've just crossed a road to make an argument.

HTH.

Just now, Damien said:

Well Australians do and Price is Australian, you seem to keep missing that fact.

TBH, this is covered on Aussie websites, and none of them go down this route (that I have seen).

Just now, Damien said:

Well Australians do and Price is Australian, you seem to keep missing that fact.

Mongrel strength shortened?

Zero examples forthcoming.

Just now, Damien said:

Then find me an example of an Australian using the term "mongrel strength". I'm perfectly happy to concede the point if you can show that Aussies say mongrel strength.

He may have been thinking mongrel but he said what he said. He's apologised according to Warrington but should do so publicly and then make a contribution to charity/do some work in the community. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

It is irrelevant what I think and know. It is a term that is obviously used in Australia that is short for mongrel dog and Price is Australian. You may not like it because it doesn't suit your agenda but its a fact:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/mong

mongin British English

(mʌŋ)
NOUN
Australian informal short for mongrel

Well if you want my "agenda" i'll tell you about it

I've got a child who has special needs, he's attending a mainstream school which has been a difficult choice to maintain. I got invited to sports day a year or 2 back, which was pretty momentous has he struggles with  physical activity but the school worked really hard to make sure he was confident enough to take part. 

I was stood watching him take part and some other kids who were waiting their turn nearby started making fun of him, and used the term we're talking about, not knowing his mother and I were there.

It was heartbreaking to hear, i wouldn't wish on anyone having to witness their child being referred to in such a way, and its disapointing to hear the coach of my team use it in such a throwaway manner AND people on here defending and making excuses for him.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Mongrel strength shortened?

Zero examples forthcoming.

You've said this and you selectively edited the quote to ignore it. I cant see even Australian's shortening that to Mong Stren. I'm sure you know that though.

Once again, just like in the homophobia threads or the racist threads, if you are against people being racist or homophobic you are attacked for being woke, bleeding-hearted liberal , professionally offended, PC-brigade. 

When will these attacks on people stop? 

Just now, Dave T said:

Once again, just like in the homophobia threads or the racist threads, if you are against people being racist or homophobic you are attacked for being woke, bleeding-hearted liberal , professionally offended, PC-brigade. 

When will these attacks on people stop? 

It won't happen, cos then they'd have to realise and accept that they are pretty ###### people that they see looking back at them in the mirror

Culturally insensitive and derogatory in the UK is how I see it and I think there should be some form of further punishment for Price from Warrington and quite possibly The RFL.

Warrington are very good in terms of the LDRL and PDRL and I think were the driving force behind the formation of at least one of those branches of the game, so it’s a bit of a big blow for the people involved in that.  It’s similar to the Tony Clubb incident in that there’s two very clear camps on this and neither are particularly likely to back down or change their view. 

Archived