Players You Love/d Yet Everyone Else Hated And If They Played Against You, You’d Hate Them Too

Just watching a host of classic Sharks games on telly. Didn’t we have a bunch not so long ago that were hateable.

Mick Ennis - the biggest wind up merchant this century

Andrew Fifita - an absolute jerk at times, often even, but he was our jerk and won us a GF

Paul Gallen - not sure he needs any explanation. Probably hated any more than Cam Smith is

9 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Like so many New South Welshmen, I have hated Cam Smith for sooooooo long. A man very much loved by fans of the Storm and Qld.

He’s a prime example of a player who you love when they play for your team but most opposition fans hate. Wonderfully consistent player and top referee 😂

28 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Shaun Edwards and Martin Offiah seemed to be universally disliked by most fans, Kelvin Skerrett too.

I've never hated any player, it's far too harsh a word. I did dislike offiah though after he played for Wigan in a cup match at Derwent Park and after the game when kids were running to get autographs or strings of the players he refused and wanted paying for autographs, telling people to speak to his agent....the end of a bell.

I would imagine Alex Murphy comes pretty high in this category.  As well as Alex, in this country (and probably in Australia too), Les Boyd divides opinion to put it mildly.

I can't really remember why, but I had a strong dislike of Len Casey in the late 70s and early 80s .  I'm sure he was very well liked on Humberside.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

1 hour ago, latchford albion said:

I would imagine Alex Murphy comes pretty high in this category.  As well as Alex, in this country (and probably in Australia too), Les Boyd divides opinion to put it mildly.

I can't really remember why, but I had a strong dislike of Len Casey in the late 70s and early 80s .  I'm sure he was very well liked on Humberside.

my dad used to recall a story of him standing at Wheldon road, and Murphy winding up the Cas fans with his antics

21 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Just watching a host of classic Sharks games on telly. Didn’t we have a bunch not so long ago that were hateable.

Mick Ennis - the biggest wind up merchant this century

Andrew Fifita - an absolute jerk at times, often even, but he was our jerk and won us a GF

Paul Gallen - not sure he needs any explanation. Probably hated any more than Cam Smith is

I don’t think Cam Smith was disliked by many in Australia.

Not sure If Gallen was either.

Fans that know the game respect tough competitors and quality players whatever side they play for.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

12 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

For the amount of good games he had against Saints, I never disliked Rob Burrow at all. Danny McGuire on the other hand, I was never keen at all. 

Have to agree with that. Funny how players attitude or perhaps fans perception of this can make all the difference. Rob Burrow did Saints so much damage, yet from day one nothing but admiration for someone who to me was one of the toughest players I have ever seen pound for pound. McGuire always just came across as petulant and a real whinger. I would imagine people who actually know the man would say that is unfair.

For Leeds as well (and the bulls before) , I never had anything but admiration for Jamie Peacock.

9 hours ago, Allora said:

Fans that know the game respect tough competitors and quality players whatever side they play for.

There was and is a lot of animosity in Australia towards Melbourne in general and Smith in particular. Every weekend, there was always talk on social media about how he was trying to browbeat the officials and affect decisions. Similar to the way many UK fans would endlessly whine about Sam Tomkins or Lee Briers getting in the face of referees.

And if Gallen ever felt any affection from opposition fans, he'd probably think he wasn't doing his job right.

That doesn't mean there wasn't respect, but there was definitely partisan dislike and plenty of abuse.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I never really knew anything about Martin Offiah, except he could run and score.

I never knew until now he had detractors.

Martin Offiah was a World Class Player. A great man to have in Rugby League.

10 hours ago, Allora said:

Hate is a very strong word and likely could have been replaced with a less confrontational word.

However, I know many that extremely disliked Gallen and Smith.

Archived