Oldham (A)

Wakefield Ram

3 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Well who knows what team we will have for Sunday. Still feel confident we can win. Anyone know a pub near the ground worth a visit?

No Garrett doesn’t help. How Kind of Toulouse. You’d have thought they’d lost😩

This one is a battle of the in-form out-of-formers, in other words consistent losers. 
Are we good enough, or will Oldham triumph on their home(!) ground?

I am going to wear my positive hat and suggest victory might be ours (even without knowing the make-up of the team from our depleted squad).

Oldham 16-25 Dewsbury 

FTS: Knowles

MoM: Fleming

Att: 338

Legs, Dews, Legs.

11 hours ago, NickD said:

No Garrett doesn’t help. How Kind of Toulouse. You’d have thought they’d lost😩

What does it have to do with Toulouse Nick?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

49 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

Apparently TO complained sometime after the game of an incident involving Garratt, hence Nick’s comment. 

Thanks. I assumed that it was something "on report".

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Back to the match - quite simply we have to win this one or problems will start to mount, and I think we will. We have announced a strong enough squad and there are hints of problems within the Oldham camp.

Oldham 14 - 27 Rams

FTS Smith

Att 456

Tight game but you should be good enough to beat them in the last 20 I reckon

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Great defence today and we won, that's the most important thing. Players tackled themselves into the ground and we were two props short.

If you were picky, we need to vary our play. Too many one man drives starting sets every time with Fleming,  Gabriel, Oakes and our 6th tackle options near the opposition line need to be better. Some sets ended with an easy catch under no pressure or a simple drive. To beat better teams we need to be more creative near the line.

Easy win for you lads. Stuck to the game plan, completed your sets and then kicked into the corners then pounced on our mistakes. Thought Annakin was very good for you as were both wingers with plenty of tough carries.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

4 hours ago, Kelsey The Ram 97 said:

Does anyone know why Smith didn't play? Why play him against Toulouse and Fev then drop him against Oldham? It's lads like him we should be blooding against the likes of Oldham otherwise we will never compete.

I suppose the only person who can answer that is the coach.

8 hours ago, Kelsey The Ram 97 said:

Does anyone know why Smith didn't play? Why play him against Toulouse and Fev then drop him against Oldham? It's lads like him we should be blooding against the likes of Oldham otherwise we will never compete.

At a guess, LG wasn't expecting a win against TO or Fev so nothing to lose. In a critical game like this, looks like he's opted for experience.

Not sure you can question the team selection after a great win like that. Coach obviously thought the two experienced old heads in the halves would be a wise decision, and so it proved. 

Missing our best front rower, our best centre, playing a centre in the second row… that was a great effort. 

5 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

At a guess, LG wasn't expecting a win against TO or Fev so nothing to lose. In a critical game like this, looks like he's opted for experience.

I'd like to think we're saving the missing players for next week vs Sheffield.. A very winnable game, Newcastle away will cause us problems... Then Batley, I'd sacrifice losing to Batley and beat Sheffield 👌👌👌👌

57 minutes ago, coolie said:

Then Batley, I'd sacrifice losing to Batley and beat Sheffield 👌👌👌👌

Me too 😉

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

A comfortable if unspectacular win. The defence was pretty sound throughout and we controlled field possession well.

I was concerned with our lack of creativity again and felt that Smith would have made a difference in that respect as he does take the ball to the line and asks a few questions of the oppositions defence. I alo felt that Sam Day would have revelled against a side like Oldham as there were plenty of gaps for a nippy little hooker to exploit but he was missing again. Whether this is injury or Covid I don't know. On the other hand Speakman is returning slowly to match fitness, which is a bonus. Whilst the score does look like a straightforward win it is worth considering that two of our tries resulted from Oldham dropping the ball in vulnerable positions.

We can't complain about the result, and I won't, as it should be sufficient to avoid the drop with Oldham looking very poor and Swinton being so far adrift, but I would like to think that we could be looking upwards rather than downwards for once.

Sheffield got hammered yesterday but we all know that Toulouse can do this to anyone so we will have to be on our game to get a result against them next Sunday.

Great to get a win at last, but it was not a great win. As BSJ alluded, we lack creativity, which should come from our experienced half backs, but things were made easier by a poor Oldham. Having said that, the Roughyeds had some good ideas when attacking, but did not have the finish required to score tries.

Not bad I suppose with four wingers in the threequarters, a centre at full back and a centre in the second row.

We must build on this win for next week v Sheffield and hope we produce some attacking football.

LG suggested we must make Tetley’s Stadium a fortress, but I don’t think he meant it for the visitors to take for them, which it seems to be.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Diskin Sacked as the Oldham Coach, we put up with him for 3 years.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

I have every sympathy for the loyal Oldham fans.Bower field is a very good ground,but they need to get back to Oldham.I know they have been before,but the football ground needs using more,because  they are struggling as well. It's like Dews.playing at bowling back lane,Dudley hill in Bradford.  As for the match,not lacking effort, but two poor sides. The forwards doing most of the work,Chris Annikin,you can't fault him.It's summer rugby ,let the ball do the work.So it's the old boys on sunday,another 50'60,drubbing is just not acceptable.With the players we have got  i'm sure we can play a more attacking game.

Archived