Twenty five years from now

So, things seem a little negative in our great sport at present but things can change in unexpected ways (look at the state of football in the 1980s). What are people’s predictions for RL in the future? Will the game in England fade to a minor amateur sport or will it fulfil its potential and dominate the UKs sport scene? Will the women’s game become important than the men’s? Will it unexpectedly take off in Wales? 

How do you think we will be faring in 25 years time! 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, EssexRL said:

So, things seem a little negative in our great sport at present but things can change in unexpected ways (look at the state of football in the 1980s). What are people’s predictions for RL in the future? Will the game in England fade to a minor amateur sport or will it fulfil its potential and dominate the UKs sport scene? Will the women’s game become important than the men’s? Will it unexpectedly take off in Wales? 

Personally I'll be lucky to be alive. 

7 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Personally I'll be lucky to be alive. 

I’ll be 83 so will hit the average age of RL fans 😀

With proper stewardship of the game, a proper international calendar to interest the general public and an expanded SL with teams from outside the M62 area, it could knock Union of its perch and be the dominant rugby code. It WON'T be the dominant footy code per se, soccer is going to be no.1 for the foreseeable future,  it has 130 years of history and pull on the  heartstrings of a hell of a lot of people,  and money !!. But RL can be the second favourite sport, that is a realistic aim  given hard work and a desire for the game to see the bigger picture and not be so inward looking. 

I suspect that Rugby Union will make so many subtle rule changes over the next few years - as they have done in the past - that there will no longer be any point in two codes.  The RU will surely reduce their teams to 14 then 13 a side, reduce the value of the penalty (realising that fans want to see tries)  and find a way to get rid of those untidy mauls where the ball disappears from sight for minutes on end. They will probably keep line-outs just to prove they have not been influenced by the other code. The only thing they won't do is change their name to Rugby League.  At least I won't be around in 25 years to find out. Or if I am I won't know what's going on.

I was going to do a similar thread. We need a solid international calendar. We need to Australia to play to the same rules.... literally.... As everyone else. An international governing body with some big bowlocks to emphasize this. Over here we need a set structure. Not one year 12 teams, then 14, then licensing then p and r constantly changing. Etc etc. There's plenty more to add but if we don't get near to this we'll be in the same boat.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

I fully expect that women's RL will be a very well run and expanding side to our sport, women's professional sport across the board is starting to achieve is well earned potential. There's also no reason why we shouldn't have a 15 team SL including 2 French clubs and a Welsh one, but it will be a SL of 15 franchises. Whether France have built / expanded the game in their own country is anyone's guess. RU will not evolve into a version of RL, there's no reason for them to do so as we aren't a threat to their fan base or financial turnover. 

And the Rolling Stones will play the pre-match entertainment at the 2035 SL Grand Final

25 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

If the game is still being played in 25 years after the inevitable nuclear war I will be satisfied. 

Well on that cheery note I will say goodnight.  Sweet dreams everyone. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Mens game will look very similar, maybe Newcastle will become a top team or maybe the click will squeeze them out.

The womens game has the potential to be a fully pro strong game that poaches union talent.

International scene is an odd one, if we can force Aus to play us we can beat them as can Tonga, if tgis happens they loose their grip on the international game. If they refuse to play us and they to play us when we are weak and they are strong then the international game will be dead

The salary cap will have gone up 100 quid,Wakefield Cas will unveil 3D plans of their new proposed stadiums,Bradford will come out of receivership for the 20th time and Superleague announces a new expansion team in Standish will be joining the expanded 13 team league.

2 hours ago, Rowan said:

I suspect that Rugby Union will make so many subtle rule changes over the next few years - as they have done in the past - that there will no longer be any point in two codes.  The RU will surely reduce their teams to 14 then 13 a side, reduce the value of the penalty (realising that fans want to see tries)  and find a way to get rid of those untidy mauls where the ball disappears from sight for minutes on end. They will probably keep line-outs just to prove they have not been influenced by the other code. The only thing they won't do is change their name to Rugby League.  At least I won't be around in 25 years to find out. Or if I am I won't know what's going on.

Inevitable that Union will continue to implement changes to speed their game up and in that respect the two codes merge closer to each other. If League continues to be unavailable or unknown to most of the UK's population then it will shrivel to irrelevance but by then the few SL clubs still solvent will have signed up to the new hybrid code and be bossed from Twickenham. The myopic chairmen running the game today (SL and RL) will be responsible for Leagues extinction in the next decade or two because they can't see that only broadcasting the same dozen teams from ramshackle or shared stadiums in towns few people have ever heard of on a satellite tv channel that few people subscribe to isn't conducive for winning over hearts and minds or anything else for that matter, and before long no-one will care if it ceases to exist.

4 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Post Alien invasion

The highest level of the game will be Planet of origin. Those Jupiter b******s are going down in the  2046 series

3 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I fully expect that women's RL will be a very well run and expanding side to our sport, women's professional sport across the board is starting to achieve is well earned potential. There's also no reason why we shouldn't have a 15 team SL including 2 French clubs and a Welsh one, but it will be a SL of 15 franchises. Whether France have built / expanded the game in their own country is anyone's guess. RU will not evolve into a version of RL, there's no reason for them to do so as we aren't a threat to their fan base or financial turnover. 

And the Rolling Stones will play the pre-match entertainment at the 2035 SL Grand Final

Odd number of teams?  Thats probably a non starter.

And if its to include 2 from t’other side of channel and one from Wales it means its not merit based. Please no,  we need a competition not an exhibition. 

I’ll be pushing 70 if I’m still going, but I’d love to see the game still professional and on tv, with at least a slightly wider footprint than it has now and crowds holding up to at least pre-Covid levels. I think that would be a success for the game.

That however depends on the current SL clubs, if they persist with their short term protectionism (which I understand, after all their club comes first) then I think the game will go the way of France, but if somehow a leader emerges who can persuade them that their medium to long term success is reliant on them taking some short term hits (like spreading tv money 14 ways and supporting lower league and the amateur game more) then I think the above scenario is possible, and maybe even better than that. 

Agree with people above that in the N Hemisphere at least, the international game is key. I still don’t understand why England weren’t playing France in a test match last night, instead of an exhibition game. 

10 hours ago, EssexRL said:

I’ll be 83 so will hit the average age of RL fans 😀

And I'll be a hundred. 😣

..and the nurse will be reading to me arguments about refs, England manager, commentators, P and R, Leigh, ....

1 minute ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Judging by the new two year TV deal I doubt that there will be a full time professional game in a quarter of a century. It saddens me to post it but I think that the game is heading towards oblivion fast.

That’s been said for 125 years tbf. 

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

And I'll be a hundred. 😣

..and the nurse will be reading to me arguments about refs, England manager, commentators, P and R, Leigh, ....

I'll be the 94 year old dribbling quietly in the next bed.  I strongly suspect that the game will be bumbling along much like now, the only potential fly in the ointment, as has been mentioned, is the attitude then to contact sports.

Archived