Twenty five years from now

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

I'll be the 94 year old dribbling quietly in the next bed.Ā  I strongly suspect that the game will be bumbling along much like now, the only potential fly in the ointment, as has been mentioned, is the attitude then to contact sports.

Agreed.

Based on other people's predictions, this could be seen as a positive or negative outcome.Ā 

15 hours ago, EssexRL said:

So, things seem a little negative in our great sport at present but things can change in unexpected ways (look at the state of football in the 1980s). What are peopleā€™s predictions for RL in the future? Will the gameĀ in England fade to a minor amateur sport or will it fulfil its potential and dominate the UKs sport scene? Will the womenā€™s game become important than the menā€™s? Will it unexpectedly take off in Wales?Ā 

How do you think we will be faring in 25 years time!Ā 

Unfortunately Iā€™m less optimistic about the next 25 years than I was 25 years ago in 1996.

super league offered so much hope as did the international game coming off the back of a fantastic 1995 World Cup but thatā€™s all a distant memory now and a lost opportunity.

5 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Unfortunately Iā€™m less optimistic about the next 25 years than I was 25 years ago in 1996.

super league offered so much hope as did the international game coming off the back of a fantastic 1995 World Cup but thatā€™s all a distant memory now and a lost opportunity.

That's exactly how I felt in 1996 at the dawn of the new era.

3 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

A genuine Wales National side. A dawn of a new professional era with teams from London and Paris. Lots of media interest and a good national footprint down under etc.

Now we have 11 teams and Leigh not receiving the same as the other 11, no WCC, 35% less money than last year until 2023, no reserve grade, games shown on an obscure ppv channel... forgive my negativity.

1 minute ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Now we have 11 teams and Leigh not receiving the same as the other 11, no WCC, 35% less money than last year until 2023, no reserve grade, games shown on an obscure ppv channel... forgive my negativity.

Add to that fantasy professional competitions in the US and Canada. Itā€™s enough to make you give up on the game completely.

Leigh will have just been relegated after their seventh single season attempt at SL šŸ˜‰

And there will be thread on here stating letting them in again was the worst thing ever to happen , Toulouse will have lost 23 Championship GFs in a row and Fev will have just been crowned WCC winners for a record 10th time beating Melbourne Storm in front of 38,000 at the new PO rd stadiumĀ 

10 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Add to that fantasy professional competitions in the US and Canada. Itā€™s enough to make you give up on the game completely.

To be honest I have pretty much given up on SL which is why I rarely post on current events. Still watch amateur game, Chorley Panthers v Ulverston this afternoon.

4 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

To be honest I have pretty much given up on SL which is why I rarely post on current events. Still watch amateur game, Chorley Panthers v Ulverston this afternoon.

Same here. I havenā€™t watched a super league game in years now and just follow the sp hunters and kaiviti silktails.

I also like to watch and read about things happening in central and South America, Europe and Africa etc at the grassroots development level.

love hearing about the thunder and bears developing the game at grassroots level as well.

25 years from now, Our Prime Minister will be called Derek Beaumont (shivers) and Leigh will be the only team in Super League, thus giving us long suffering Leigh fans, perhaps, the only chance of lording it over you lot!

19 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I fully expect that women's RL will be a very well run and expanding side to our sport, women's professional sport across the board is starting to achieve is well earned potential. There's also no reason why we shouldn't have a 15 team SL including 2 French clubs and a Welsh one, but it will be a SL of 15 franchises. Whether France have built / expanded the game in their own country is anyone's guess. RU will not evolve into a version of RL, there's no reason for them to do so as we aren't a threat to their fan base or financial turnover.Ā 

And the Rolling Stones will play the pre-match entertainment at the 2035 SL Grand Final

Yes, and the Queen will hand over the trophy...

Ā 

16 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Odd number of teams? Ā Thats probably a non starter.

Ā 

And if itsĀ to include 2 from tā€™other side of channel and one from Wales it means its not merit based. Please no, Ā we need a competition not an exhibition.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Catalan started as an exhibitionĀ 

Lord Wood of Odsal, becomes celebrity food critic on masterchief.

New 4 team superleague announced. Fev go ballistic stating it's just one further step to prevent them getting into top flight.

Australian tours commence and after a close fought series Austrailia scrape a 2 to 1 win. Australian captain comments on how courageousĀ Ā the English blokes were and really gave the Aussie girls a good test.

Chris Chester announces further contract extention.

James Roby ,man of steel winner announces he intends to play at least one more season.

Ken Davey makes a brief appearance from from cryo genicĀ  life support to make financial contribution toĀ  huddersfield, wakefield,castleford, Halifax, hunslet giants

KEEP THE FAITH GUYSĀ 

Lets do it:) The key to keeping this great game alive is very simple.

* SL has to have Toulouse and London in for now with a 5 year min licence

* More internationals ( 2 a year in London and the South)Ā 

* Keep the door wide open for ambitious clubs the SL can increase with conferences

*Ā Ā I would Ā actually 100% ditch the SL name and would do a deal to have it rebranded NRL (Europe)

* England matches spread out a little (OK am back to England v France in places like Portsmouth and Plymouth Ā I await the trollsĀ LOL)

* Investment in development officers Ā outside of the traditional areas London/Newcastle/Coventry/Wales/Cornwall are the areas I would invest in

* Investment into areas that are being neglected Oldham/Rochdale/Manchester/CumbriaĀ 

* Strong tieĀ up with France including an annual cup between championship and Elite 1 clubsĀ 

Ā 

Paul

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

In 25 years, cloning technology will have been perfected and England win the World Cup with the following team.Ā 

1. Ellery HanleyĀ 

2. Ellery Hanley

3.Ā Ellery Hanley

4.Ā Ellery Hanley

5.Ā Ellery Hanley

6.Ā Ellery Hanley

7. Andy GregoryĀ 

8. Kevin Ward

9. James Roby

10. Kevin Ward

11.Ā Ellery Hanley

12.Ā Ellery Hanley

13.Ā Ellery Hanley

Ā 

14.Ā Ellery Hanley

15.Ā Ellery Hanley

16.Ā Ellery Hanley

17.Ā Ellery Hanley

"TheĀ history of the world is the history of the triumphĀ of the heartlessĀ overĀ the mindless." ā€” SirĀ Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic,Ā what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"Ā ā€” Sam Harris

21 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Ā 

Ken Davey makes a brief appearance from from cryo genicĀ  life support to make financial contribution toĀ  huddersfield, wakefield,castleford, Halifax, hunslet giants

Surely a reversal of the ageing process has been developed and he starts at 7 for the Giants?Ā 

Archived