Jermaine McGillvary takes aim at those running the game

Mcgillvary should have been selected for the England team the guys been the a genuine world class winger for years. Jake O'Conner should have been in the England side as well, would have been good if George Williams played as well. In my opinion besides Farrells hard running and a bit of creative play from tomkins England had nothing in attack. 

As for off the Field in UK needs better administrators capable of setting and achieving goals to improve the sport in terms of administration, marketing and promotion.

The difficulty is that whilst it's easy to agree with him (because he's right) there's not, yet, a clear path to fixing the issues.

I do agree that if the World Cup doesn't go ahead this year then the damage to the game will be immeasurable - not least because we've all been holding back a little *because* we had the hope of a good World Cup at the end of this year to focus on.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Get rid of the loop fixtures and allow for a couple of weekends for internationals. There could be a 4 team mini comp, with England, Wales, France and All Stars.

If a club cannot exist without the loop fixtures then it’s time to cut them loose. 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The difficulty is that whilst it's easy to agree with him (because he's right) there's not, yet, a clear path to fixing the issues.

I do agree that if the World Cup doesn't go ahead this year then the damage to the game will be immeasurable - not least because we've all been holding back a little *because* we had the hope of a good World Cup at the end of this year to focus on.

The reason why players' voices are important is because they play week-to-week and also have to adapt to the structure that is given to them?

• Are players in the UK on more money than 5 years ago?
  • Is their profile higher?
  • Do they play in more big occasions?
  • Has the club they play for grown or shrunk in ambition?

The top comment on that thread, is someone going on about "Why do we need to grow the game?"

Literally the ultimate flat-capper, an inward looking, "supporter" of the game who cannot see that a tiny minority sport like RL will die out slowly if it does not expand its base and grow its market.

Yet he is the top rated comment on the thread. 

Is anyone really surprised the game is in such a desperate state if that is the attitude of the fans?

1 hour ago, Mark S said:

Get rid of the loop fixtures and allow for a couple of weekends for internationals. There could be a 4 team mini comp, with England, Wales, France and All Stars.

If a club cannot exist without the loop fixtures then it’s time to cut them loose. 

And replace them with ?

And replace the reduced TV funding with ?

13 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

The top comment on that thread, is someone going on about "Why do we need to grow the game?"

Literally the ultimate flat-capper, an inward looking, "supporter" of the game who cannot see that a tiny minority sport like RL will die out slowly if it does not expand its base and grow its market.

Yet he is the top rated comment on the thread. 

Is anyone really surprised the game is in such a desperate state if that is the attitude of the fans?

Reminds me of darts.

Super League = BDO

NRL = PDC

If they join they can be a force. If they just go on with their own narrow agendas then the one who is skint will die and the one who is cashed up will thrive. But ultimately, the sport will be the loser as International RL will die to too as it compromises the bottom line of the NRL.

Sad but true, the NRL no longer needs Europe to stage high profile internationals. They have Aus v NZ, Sam v Ton, NZ v PNG, Ton v Aus, Fiji v Sam, Sam v NZ, Fiji v Ton all on its doorstep. We need to be very careful and bloody pro-active or we will die!

Well said Jerry!

However until we, the fans move away from the idea that the referee's are bent, biased and don't let our teams win then the game won't move on because of that either.

To me, there needs to be a massive overhaul of the game, there isn't enough money, enough sponsors, enough fans or enough really good players in the game.

Can the game really survive with 12 so called elite clubs scrimping their way through season after season, constant rule and operation changes, the academy farce just shows up the small minded mentality from the people running the game.

Can the game really sustain 15/16 full time clubs?

Could the game grow and be more sustainable with part time clubs instead?

But as fans of the game, (we can surely no longer call it the greatest game can we?) we need to all sing off the same hymn sheet and become a solid voice for change etc.

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

And replace them with ?

And replace the reduced TV funding with ?

As I said, reduce the number of full time clubs, reduce the quantity and try and improve the quality,  which, ultimately could lead to more sponsorship, money and fans coming in and hopefully less, but better players then hopefully improves the international game?

37 minutes ago, meast said:

As I said, reduce the number of full time clubs, reduce the quantity and try and improve the quality,  which, ultimately could lead to more sponsorship, money and fans coming in and hopefully less, but better players then hopefully improves the international game?

It’s definitely time for Wakefield to go. Their ground is an embarrassment for an elite competition. Leigh would also go, they offer nothing to SL. That reduced the comp to 10 teams. Merge Hull and KR (the fans won’t like it at first but they will come around to it, if they don’t then oh well). That would leave space for Toulouse or York, or even both of we let another weak club go. Run a ten team franchise system with a chance for new for new franchises to join based on ground, playing squad and investment.

Time to make some harsh decisions, some people will get upset, but that it is the business of sport.

On top of this, develop a central brand with clubs playing in similar jerseys, from the same manufacturer, with club colours. Sell merchandise centrally and share the profits.

Demand that Sky get rid of ‘Baz n Tez’, it’s not Phoenix Nights, replace them with Jon Wilkin and Jodie Cunningham.

1 hour ago, Mark S said:

It’s definitely time for Wakefield to go. Their ground is an embarrassment for an elite competition. Leigh would also go, they offer nothing to SL. That reduced the comp to 10 teams. Merge Hull and KR (the fans won’t like it at first but they will come around to it, if they don’t then oh well). That would leave space for Toulouse or York, or even both of we let another weak club go. Run a ten team franchise system with a chance for new for new franchises to join based on ground, playing squad and investment.

Time to make some harsh decisions, some people will get upset, but that it is the business of sport.

On top of this, develop a central brand with clubs playing in similar jerseys, from the same manufacturer, with club colours. Sell merchandise centrally and share the profits.

Demand that Sky get rid of ‘Baz n Tez’, it’s not Phoenix Nights, replace them with Jon Wilkin and Jodie Cunningham.

Clubs are as big at their brand. Hull KR are trying hard and at times have pushed 8-9k averages and they have also rebuilt parts of their stadium. They are not the problem. It would take York 10-20 years to achieve that - the ground isn't even big enough for those numbers atm.

The game needs the best collection of dynamic, ambitious brands in there - with potential to create £10m+ turnover and add value to the competition and commercial sales of the SL. Otherwise it is literally going through the motions.

If Leigh or Toulouse or Featherstone replace Wakefield then it is because they can grow their commercial potential to £10m+ and add value to the SL brand - not simply that they can fulfil their fixtures and be a little less ploppy than Wakefield when it comes commercial income potential.

2 hours ago, meast said:

Could , or it could finish the pro game full stop , I assume you want franchises ? 

2 hours ago, Mark S said:

The only point there with any merit is the merchandise suggestion , one I put to several of the bigger Championship clubs over a decade ago when licencing was in operation , you would still be very lucky to get them to agree to it 

The rest might work , if you believe we could ' demand ' anything of SKY , I'd suggest a 10 team comp would draw less from SKY than the current cash 

As I've put it above , get it wrong and you kill the sport for good 

6 hours ago, Scubby said:

Reminds me of darts.

Super League = BDO

NRL = PDC

If they join they can be a force. If they just go on with their own narrow agendas then the one who is skint will die and the one who is cashed up will thrive. But ultimately, the sport will be the loser as International RL will die to too as it compromises the bottom line of the NRL.

Sad but true, the NRL no longer needs Europe to stage high profile internationals. They have Aus v NZ, Sam v Ton, NZ v PNG, Ton v Aus, Fiji v Sam, Sam v NZ, Fiji v Ton all on its doorstep. We need to be very careful and bloody pro-active or we will die!

I always rathered the BDO for some reason. 

7 hours ago, Mark S said:

100% this.

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Could , or it could finish the pro game full stop , I assume you want franchises ? 

I want a strong game on and off the field, I want the game to becomes entertaining again, I want the game to grow in all areas and stop being a cheap sport.

If licensing is the way to go again, so be it.

39 minutes ago, meast said:

I want a strong game on and off the field, I want the game to becomes entertaining again, I want the game to grow in all areas and stop being a cheap sport.

If licensing is the way to go again, so be it.

So you want licencing / Franchises ?

Archived