Odsal pitch

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, dboy said:

The pitch is still only 86 metres long - still below minimum standards, and is still too narrow.

Fill it in with household waste, and move on.

Officially 89 metres x 56 metres. Unless you've been today with a tape measure, I respectfully suggest you are wrong.

I don't disagree with your second point by the way 😉 

5 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Officially 89 metres x 56 metres. Unless you've been today with a tape measure, I respectfully suggest you are wrong.

I don't disagree with your second point by the way 😉 

Going from Mick Gledhill's pic today - there is still only 3m between the 30 and 40m lines (30m is 30m from the goal line and the 40m is 40m from the half way line).

The pitch is therefore only 86 metres long.

I'd guess Bulls are cheekily including the in-goals to magic up an acceptable number.

14 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

How are the 40/20 rules adjusted for a shorter pitch? 

It's not just 40/20 though, it's also kickoffs and general play.  Recall that the way play restarts if a kickoff goes dead in goal on the full is much different than if it rolls or bounces dead in goal, for that reason alone the distance from the 50 metre line to the dead ball line should be the same in all stadiums.

Re general play, a team starting on their own 20 metre line should have to advance the ball the same distance to score regardless of which stadium the match is played in.  Again, the field of play should one standard length in all stadiums without exception.  The integrity of the game requires that.

11 hours ago, dboy said:

The pitch is still only 86 metres long - still below minimum standards, and is still too narrow.

Fill it in with household waste, and move on.

A RL pitch is bleedin enormous (as is RU). When did metres come in? And was it due to the Aussies? 

Making it 10 yards between the lines would allow for more space, especially given the try area has to be factored in. Always looks so dangerous at Old Trafford with players sliding down the side of the pitch into the barriers. 

1 hour ago, DC77 said:

A RL pitch is bleedin enormous (as is RU). When did metres come in? And was it due to the Aussies? 

Making it 10 yards between the lines would allow for more space, especially given the try area has to be factored in. Always looks so dangerous at Old Trafford with players sliding down the side of the pitch into the barriers. 

Why does it matter when the game adopted the world's measurement system?  It was well over 30 years ago now, so forget about changing back to stupid Imperial measures.

From what I can tell England is the only country in the game which has this trouble with sorting out correctly sized and marked fields of play, even third world PNG can do it.  So why can't you Brits manage it????

On 27/06/2021 at 16:02, Man of Kent said:

I was being facetious. You’d think at bare minimum Big Fat Nige could pop to a garden centre for some rolls of turf!

What has his physique to do with this? You've no idea why he is like he is

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Why does it matter when the game adopted the world's measurement system?  It was well over 30 years ago now, so forget about changing back to stupid Imperial measures.

From what I can tell England is the only country in the game which has this trouble with sorting out correctly sized and marked fields of play, even third world PNG can do it.  So why can't you Brits manage it????

Has anybody - bar you - referred to any country as "third world" since, well, shortly after those "stupid" Imperial measures were abandoned?

8 hours ago, DC77 said:

Making it 10 yards between the lines would allow for more space, especially given the try area has to be factored in. 

"Yards"?

Do the millennials who play the game today even know what a "yard" is? Will people in emerging RL nations like Greece, Lebanon or Serbia have a clue what you are talking about when you tell them to mark out their pitches in "yards"??

I know some people on here cling desperately to the past, but this is ridiculous. 

34 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

"Yards"?

Do the millennials who play the game today even know what a "yard" is? Will people in emerging RL nations like Greece, Lebanon or Serbia have a clue what you are talking about when you tell them to mark out their pitches in "yards"??

I know some people on here cling desperately to the past, but this is ridiculous. 

They will if they follow the NFL

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

"Yards"?

Anyone who follows golf will know what a yard is. It is the standard measurement in the sport. Every single golf course in the UK is measured in yards. On UK roads distance is in miles not kilometres. Not in the past but right now.

Rugby League actually changed where the lines are drawn on a pitch and for no good reason. The 25 yard line became the 20 metre line but that moves it significantly nearer the goal line. 

Now that we are no longer in the EU why not align with the USA and use yards?

11 hours ago, DC77 said:

Measuring in yards instead of metres would not "allow for more space"!

Regardless of what unit of measurement you use, the space available, is the space available!

25 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Anyone who follows golf will know what a yard is. It is the standard measurement in the sport. Every single golf course in the UK is measured in yards. On UK roads distance is in miles not kilometres. Not in the past but right now.

Rugby League actually changed where the lines are drawn on a pitch and for no good reason. The 25 yard line became the 20 metre line but that moves it significantly nearer the goal line. 

I think you'll find that there was a very good reason: Australia and New Zealand both went metric and Australia at least went metric lock, stock and barrel.  Out the window went all the ridiculous uncoordinated Imperial units and in came metric in all things, field markings for sports included.

The 25 yard line didn't become the 20 metre line right away, it became a 22 metre line first, which is clearly visible in Australian RL matches from the mid-1980s to 1992 where the distance between the 32 and the 40 is only 8 metres.  That was rationalized in 1993 when the 22 and 32 became the 20 and 30 respectively.

Except for a few backward holdouts in the Anglosphere, metric has spread around the world for one simple reason: it's a superior system of measurement.  If you want RL to have one set of rules worldwide, then metric it is.

Maybe Bradford made a big deal about the posts because they know how many opposition fans are obsessed with odsal.

Good to see the RFL have finally done their duty and brought the pitch (which they earn money from) up passed minimum standards. 

As others have pointed out, it’s not benefited Bradford. Its not benefited our fans who have had to watch rugby on a mini pitch. 

Opposition fans moaned Bradford left odsal, they moaned when Bradford moved back

37 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Now that we are no longer in the EU why align with the USA and use yards?

10 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I’m speaking more from a convenient/size perspective (having it in yards rather than metres). Many of these big RL games in England are played on smaller pitches that cater to yardage (Old Trafford, Anfield, Spurs stadium) so RL struggles to fit in its playing field. Australia having fully adopted metric their fields are much bigger so have no such issues with players sliding into advertising barriers.

3 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

"Yards"?

We are talking about RL games played in England. Pitches are too small.

And will millennials who play RL know? It’s a tiny number. In England, 44k total play RL, over 2 million regularly play football. So 98% will be accustomed to using yards, 2% to metres. 

2 minutes ago, DC77 said:

I’m speaking more from a convenient/size perspective (having it in yards rather than metres). Many of these big RL games in England are played on smaller pitches that cater to yardage (Old Trafford, Anfield, Spurs stadium) so RL struggles to fit in its playing field. Australia having fully adopted metric their fields are much bigger so have no such issues with players sliding into advertising barriers.

We are talking about RL games played in England. Pitches are too small.

And will millennials who play RL know? It’s a tiny number. In England, 44k total play RL, over 2 million regularly play football. So 98% will be accustomed to using yards, 2% to metres. 

If you want one set of rules for the whole sport though, that must have one standard for the field size and markings, and as Australia, France, New Zealand, PNG and many countries all use metric and always will, such a standard can only be in metres.  If dirt poor PNG can have correctly sized and marked fields, there's no excuse for England not doing so.

51 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I think you'll find that there was a very good reason: Australia and New Zealand both went metric and Australia at least went metric lock, stock and barrel.  Out the window went all the ridiculous uncoordinated Imperial units and in came metric in all things, field markings for sports included.

The 25 yard line didn't become the 20 metre line right away, it became a 22 metre line first, which is clearly visible in Australian RL matches from the mid-1980s to 1992 where the distance between the 32 and the 40 is only 8 metres.  That was rationalized in 1993 when the 22 and 32 became the 20 and 30 respectively.

Except for a few backward holdouts in the Anglosphere, metric has spread around the world for one simple reason: it's a superior system of measurement.  If you want RL to have one set of rules worldwide, then metric it is.

Christ I’ve opened up a can of worms.

I agree metric is more straight forward. I’m speaking about convenience in terms of facilities.

The transition for RL in England would be easy as the vast majority of British kids use yards in sport due to the dominance of football: 98% vs RL’s 2% with kids accustomed to the six yard box, penalty from 12 yards, 10 yard wall, taking a shot from 20 yards and so on. 

If RL in England had the facilities of the Aussies then no problem. It doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Now that we are no longer in the EU why align with the USA and use yards?

Th EU gave up in making the Brits become metric in 2007.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6988521.stm

The main reason is convenience (especially cost).

Making people think in metric I think is a smaller issue. It would take a cultural shift but in time you could learn to give you height in metres and centimetres, distances in Km, weight in Kilos. I’ve noticed in the rugby codes there is a tendency to talk about height and weight in metric (for example scrum weight given in kilos). With RU I assume it’s to align itself with the other nations (France (home of metric), Aus, NZ and SA, while RL the Aussies are a huge player in the sport so I assume English RL has adopted its norms.

Archived