Odsal pitch

42 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

A conclusion to be reached might be that nobody has the money to put in place a working solution.

while i understand your point I played at New River and they managed it.. I dont believe its that hard to do or that expensive, its not as easy as just rolling the turf out I know but this seems very much like amateur hour (except it was amateur RL I played and they fixed the issue...)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I suspect it's a combination of the fact that it costs money and neither the RFL or Bradford have any spare and, secondly, they both think the other should pay.

As they're essentially intertwined in the whole nonsense of pretending that Odsal is fit for purpose and that that thing is a rugby pitch it will just carry on like this now.

How do you think the ref feels when they do a pre-game pitch inspection? Talk about feeling compromised!

1 hour ago, RP London said:

while i understand your point I played at New River and they managed it.. I dont believe its that hard to do or that expensive, its not as easy as just rolling the turf out I know but this seems very much like amateur hour (except it was amateur RL I played and they fixed the issue...)

Do bear in mind that, as far as I can make out, the only people spending any money at all on improvements at Odsal are the stock car people. Everything that's being done involves volunteers.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, RP London said:

Jeez... as much as people hate teams playing in athletics stadiums they do so around the world at football, all they do it put AstroTurf over the track where it is needed to make it longer/wider.. if everyone esle can manage it why the f*ck cant the RFL and the Bulls?!?!?

What an utter joke!

My guess is they don't really need to do it in a hurry as they are clearly not making any effort and the RFL are not pushing them.

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

More likely that no one ‘wants’ to. Until a player courageously dives to score in the corner and ends up breaking a shoulder and suffers heavy grazing, full of grit and stock car residue.

Presumably if this happens, insurers might have a few questions to ask of the match commissioner and referee.

Out of all of the councils in the country, I'm surprised that Bradford are so accommodating on the stadium safety aspects. I can't imagine a football game being allowed to go ahead with lumps of rubble, pieces of wood etc. being left on the terraces. 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Do bear in mind that, as far as I can make out, the only people spending any money at all on improvements at Odsal are the stock car people. Everything that's being done involves volunteers.

totally bearing that in mind.. thats why i used the example i did of a small ground at amateur level that had done more rather than picking say the Don Valley Stadium that had done that for Rugby and Football (and cricket if anyone remembers the weird night time match in the early 90s that happened there). 

4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person but before the season started I mentioned that Bradford looked to be putting together a team that was not very suited to the speed of the new rules, big forwards, blokes not able to do long minutes etc etc and in the back of my head I just thought Kear had some master plan with them playing at Dewsbury which does have a pretty narrow pitch. It does seem that by then plans were already afoot to move back to Odsal and they would have known there would be problems with the length and width of the pictch which ironically would suit the type of team that Kear had put together.

I don't think the pitch suited Bradford at all yesterday.  The narrowness of the pitch just means that you have a compressed defence across the whole field and Widnes just went straight to the outside backs and minimised the role of the forwards.  Lack of an in-goal largely took sixth tackle kicks out of the game, so both sides seem to default to running the ball on the sixth when in an attacking position. The pitch is hardly set up to make best use of Danny Brough... 

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

I don't think the pitch suited Bradford at all yesterday.  The narrowness of the pitch just means that you have a compressed defence across the whole field and Widnes just went straight to the outside backs and minimised the role of the forwards.  Lack of an in-goal largely took sixth tackle kicks out of the game, so both sides seem to default to running the ball on the sixth when in an attacking position. The pitch is hardly set up to make best use of Danny Brough... 

Maybe they’re waiting for him to return before fixing it

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Maybe they’re waiting for him to return before fixing it

Did cross my mind - if you don't have a kicker, why not make it so that  attacking kicks are taken out of the game?

52 minutes ago, JonM said:

A short narrow pitch should suit a kicker of Brough's calibre.

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

A short narrow pitch should suit a kicker of Brough's calibre.

It's great if you want to kick the ball from one end of the pitch to the other. You might think it would be good for 40/20s, but the compressed space means the wingers and FB have much less space to cover and are harder to get past. If you're doing a chip over the top, a grubber, a diagonal kick into the in-goal or whatever, forget it. There just isn't the space in the in-goals. 

7 hours ago, JonM said:

Presumably if this happens, insurers might have a few questions to ask of the match commissioner and referee.

Out of all of the councils in the country, I'm surprised that Bradford are so accommodating on the stadium safety aspects. I can't imagine a football game being allowed to go ahead with lumps of rubble, pieces of wood etc. being left on the terraces. 

Seems so obvious John.  A lot of people are turning a blind eye and carrying on as if this is all acceptable.  It isn’t.

Its a pretty basic, fundamental requirement to provide a pitch that conforms and is safe to play on.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Sorted the width out. But is it now too short? Look at those 30m marks 😂😂😂

I hope there's a big sign outside the ground telling people to come and see the new home of the TALLEST POSTS IN BRITISH RUGBY LEAGUE.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

How have they managed to get larger pitch measurements?

As someone posted earlier, I feel like I'm missing something, isn't it just a simple case of adding some 3g false grass? Sold everywhere now, maybe even get a deal from a local supplier for advertising? Sounds such a simple solution is there a reason why they struggle to do it that I'm missing?

2 hours ago, Bulls2487 said:

The RFL minimum requirements are 88 metres x 55 metres, the new pitch length is 89 metres x 56 metres. 

Okay. If you say so. Admittedly I haven’t gone with a tape measure. But the 20 to the 30 mark looks a lot less than 4.5M which would be needed for a 89m pitch length.   Why aim for minimum standards anyway?

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I hope there's a big sign outside the ground telling people to come and see the new home of the TALLEST POSTS IN BRITISH RUGBY LEAGUE.

I’ve seen other people mention that plenty of other clubs also have the same posts. So joint tallest would be the correct description 

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I’ve seen other people mention that plenty of other clubs also have the same posts. So joint tallest would be the correct description 

Clearly, you do not work in marketing.

Those posts are the game changer the Bulls need to get back in the big time.

On 28/06/2021 at 11:55, JonM said:

Thing is at Odsal you're that far away from the pitch they couldn't throw it that far 😉

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Clearly, you do not work in marketing.

Those posts are the game changer the Bulls need to get back in the big time.

Clearly. Widnes just installed new posts this season and didn’t even mention it. We just noticed when we got to our seats. Obviously missing a trick here

Archived