Newcastle sun 4th July

georgeb1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JonT said:

Again Dixon has been our only threat. Can he play in the halves? He can kick, he's got a step, he has the ability to make something from nothing. Switch him and BJB cos god knows we have got to create something if we're to get anything from this.

Fully agree. We cannot setup for this second half to play 1 man rugby and hope to come away with anything. 

Just now, AB Knight said:

Fully agree. We cannot setup for this second half to play 1 man rugby and hope to come away with anything. 

Ford will send them out to play exactly the same way in the mistaken belief that we will somehow wear Thunder down and win it in the final quarter.

3 moments sum up this side.

1st of all Washbrook giving away a penalty on his own line on the last tackle for laying on, come on Danny we are looking to players like you for leadership. It’s poor, really really poor.

Secondly Kieran Dixon who is our MOTM so far kicking a grubber into touch. Has he been told to do that? We should be looking to score not go for territory!

Last of all, 10 seconds left and we finally have a bit of an overlap, at least dink the ball through give yourself a chance of a try. Instead it goes to Ronan Dixon who runs it in. 

3 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

3 moments sum up this side.

1st of all Washbrook giving away a penalty on his own line on the last tackle for laying on, come on Danny we are looking to players like you for leadership. It’s poor, really really poor.

Secondly Kieran Dixon who is our MOTM so far kicking a grubber into touch. Has he been told to do that? We should be looking to score not go for territory!

Last of all, 10 seconds left and we finally have a bit of an overlap, at least dink the ball through give yourself a chance of a try. Instead it goes to Ronan Dixon who runs it in. 

Number 4 - Letting the ball bounce from the high kick.....

FFS....that set on the Thunder line just sums us up. Not a single idea other than drive it in. 

I'd rather lose with us giving the ball some air and actually trying something. But this is like a slow death.

Agonisingly close. Why we waited for the 2nd half to actually try to play, I just don't know.

Well and truly in a relegation fight now. Is it one down or two? And i can't believe I'm even having to ask the question.... 

If we showed the same fight and commitment in the first 50 minutes we would have won by 20.

Thunder a very average side so that tells you about us but they deserved their win today.

At least the last 30 saw us give it a go. Credit where credit is due. 

Us fans at least stuck with it and backed the lads. 

Dixon outstanding today and Clarkson had a decent game. 

"Don't Waste Words, Jump to Conclusions"

Millican Dalton...1867-1947

13 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Nah.... you will beat London.... really.... you will.

If we setup to win the match like the last 30 today, yes.

If we setup to play percentage ‘5 drives and a kick safety first’ rugby then it’s another defeat.

3 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

If we setup to win the match like the last 30 today, yes.

If we setup to play percentage ‘5 drives and a kick safety first’ rugby then it’s another defeat.

I'm telling you..... York will beat London. No problem.

Worst team we've played this season in my opinion.... by a long way

14 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm telling you..... York will beat London. No problem.

Worst team we've played this season in my opinion.... by a long way

Knowing our luck Broncos will play like they did away to Batley.

Today.....Newcastle were average and we made them look good.

Where on Earth to start with that? Let's not kid ourselves, we were awful and the scoreline does not necessarily reflect that. To score four tries yet have such a terrible defence that means we lose to Newcastle in that manner is an absolute embarrassment. Let's have it right, we do not automatically assume we will win. As fans I think we'd be generally happy with our league position as a club if it wasn't for firstly, our third place finish in 2019 and the expectation that the club has set for where we should be at. Looking at our calibre of signings this season, there is no doubt that we should be in the top 6, first few games made it seem like that was doable. Now it looks like we'll just have a day out at Wembley getting battered by Fev and that's the end of our season. We won't go down but we certainly aren't making the play offs losing games at home like that. To put simply, lack of effort once more - there was no change since Whitehaven. This needs rectifying immediately. 

We have too many 'experienced' players yet no leaders. No one is talking or setting up plays. We attacked their line once in the first half. Teanby knocked on three times, something I didn't expect from him - but to his credit pulled off a double shift when Porter got injured. There's no depth to our attack and when on the line it's predictable. When Dixon put in the little grubber kick to change things up we scored. Don't know if we need to get an attacking coach in, but we don't look like scoring. Especially given that everything had to go through Dixon. Futhermore, our play the balls are far too slow. Brining is the master at this and putting their defence on the back foot, but no one else seems to take a chance and run at the defence. Quite simply when Bass, Perry and K Dixon make more metres in the ruck than our props it's worrying. 

Then where do we start with our defence. Our pride has gone, we fall off too many tackles. The players don't look like they want to die for one another, they just assume someone else is going to sort it. It's no wonder Thunder managed to run in so many easy points when we just simply look tired and not bothered. No one chases back, there's no level line defence when there's a turnaround. Everyone seems to be playing how they want to and there's no team cohesion. 

Ben Jones-Bishop - would happily never see him play for us again. He looked lethargic, not arsed. Summed up by the fact he decided to kick a ball rather than challenge it in the air leading to a Thunder try. Whether he was playing out of position is irrelevant. There's no excuse for the lack of effort at trying to get up at the play the ball or not tracking back. It's no coincidence that when he came off, we actually started doing ok. 

Clarkson is meant to be the captain, yet I see no talk and no organisation on the pitch from him. He's meant to lead and guide us yet doesn't on the pitch. He's done alright this year on the pitch but we need more from him, now more than ever. Same goes for Kirmond, he was one of the best players in SL a few years back yet is falling off tackles, making errors and giving penalties away. Yet he thought he had some right to tell the fans to get behind them when we were 20 points down. He's been disappointing. 

Nothing wrong with signing SL players, but let's get the right type next season. The likes of K. Dixon, Salter, Marsh who have something to prove after being released. They've never let us down. Same with Bass, Stock and Perry. R Dixon and Green weren't terrible today. 

I still trust Ford, and I've said before I'll still give him next season. He's earnt it, he's young and this is his first sticky patch. But let's try not to play a second row/prop and winger in the halves next time. Especially when you've just brought back Riley Dean (ignoring any rumours on here). It'll be interesting to see if effort increases next week with a place at Wembley on the line. Regardless, I'd give the Harrison and AJ a run out as well as the others that haven't let us down this year and let's fight for York again, not for ourselves. 

Finally I cannot wait until distancing and masks are gone. Hopefully, by next game. It's doing us as fans no favours having to sit so rigidly and away from others. Our bounce is nearly gone and we need to do something to get it back. 

Onto the capital...

Jason Bass Fan Club - member #001

7 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

Still, I'm sure there'll be loads of action shots to spam on Facebook and Twitter to drive up social media interactions.

And rightly so. The club is more than just the 80 minutes on the pitch. Social media is the way forward, lose that and we may as well go back to having 400 at the ground once more

Jason Bass Fan Club - member #001

Archived