Newcastle sun 4th July

georgeb1

Once again we were bloody awful for 50plus minutes of this match. Even allowing for the extra efforts in the second half its patently obvious that we are not a good team, we are a set of individuals who huff and puff. Some players played quite well in patches, Keiron as usual, Whitely looked strong and I thought Kirmond upped his game today. But, the best TEAM won. I suppose things could be different if we had two really good halves in the middle of that lot but unfortunately we ain't got em.

Once again the bookies got it totally wrong, cos like us they know that the Knights should be doing a whole lot better. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Toby The Tram said:

Where on Earth to start with that? Let's not kid ourselves, we were awful and the scoreline does not necessarily reflect that. To score four tries yet have such a terrible defence that means we lose to Newcastle in that manner is an absolute embarrassment. Let's have it right, we do not automatically assume we will win. As fans I think we'd be generally happy with our league position as a club if it wasn't for firstly, our third place finish in 2019 and the expectation that the club has set for where we should be at. Looking at our calibre of signings this season, there is no doubt that we should be in the top 6, first few games made it seem like that was doable. Now it looks like we'll just have a day out at Wembley getting battered by Fev and that's the end of our season. We won't go down but we certainly aren't making the play offs losing games at home like that. To put simply, lack of effort once more - there was no change since Whitehaven. This needs rectifying immediately. 

We have too many 'experienced' players yet no leaders. No one is talking or setting up plays. We attacked their line once in the first half. Teanby knocked on three times, something I didn't expect from him - but to his credit pulled off a double shift when Porter got injured. There's no depth to our attack and when on the line it's predictable. When Dixon put in the little grubber kick to change things up we scored. Don't know if we need to get an attacking coach in, but we don't look like scoring. Especially given that everything had to go through Dixon. Futhermore, our play the balls are far too slow. Brining is the master at this and putting their defence on the back foot, but no one else seems to take a chance and run at the defence. Quite simply when Bass, Perry and K Dixon make more metres in the ruck than our props it's worrying. 

Then where do we start with our defence. Our pride has gone, we fall off too many tackles. The players don't look like they want to die for one another, they just assume someone else is going to sort it. It's no wonder Thunder managed to run in so many easy points when we just simply look tired and not bothered. No one chases back, there's no level line defence when there's a turnaround. Everyone seems to be playing how they want to and there's no team cohesion. 

Ben Jones-Bishop - would happily never see him play for us again. He looked lethargic, not arsed. Summed up by the fact he decided to kick a ball rather than challenge it in the air leading to a Thunder try. Whether he was playing out of position is irrelevant. There's no excuse for the lack of effort at trying to get up at the play the ball or not tracking back. It's no coincidence that when he came off, we actually started doing ok. 

Clarkson is meant to be the captain, yet I see no talk and no organisation on the pitch from him. He's meant to lead and guide us yet doesn't on the pitch. He's done alright this year on the pitch but we need more from him, now more than ever. Same goes for Kirmond, he was one of the best players in SL a few years back yet is falling off tackles, making errors and giving penalties away. Yet he thought he had some right to tell the fans to get behind them when we were 20 points down. He's been disappointing. 

Nothing wrong with signing SL players, but let's get the right type next season. The likes of K. Dixon, Salter, Marsh who have something to prove after being released. They've never let us down. Same with Bass, Stock and Perry. R Dixon and Green weren't terrible today. 

I still trust Ford, and I've said before I'll still give him next season. He's earnt it, he's young and this is his first sticky patch. But let's try not to play a second row/prop and winger in the halves next time. Especially when you've just brought back Riley Dean (ignoring any rumours on here). It'll be interesting to see if effort increases next week with a place at Wembley on the line. Regardless, I'd give the Harrison and AJ a run out as well as the others that haven't let us down this year and let's fight for York again, not for ourselves. 

Finally I cannot wait until distancing and masks are gone. Hopefully, by next game. It's doing us as fans no favours having to sit so rigidly and away from others. Our bounce is nearly gone and we need to do something to get it back. 

Onto the capital..

"Don't Waste Words, Jump to Conclusions"

Millican Dalton...1867-1947

One thing from today’s game that does deserve a huge big up was the incredible acrobatic finish from Perry in the corner. That was some try and what we’ve been missing all season. 

Well done the Pez man. 

The first half today was dreadful one man rugby it was like they were going through the motions. I know we had no half backs but these are professional rugby league players many who have played at the top level you would expect them to be able to string more than 2 passes together. It showed in the second half we could open them up when we passed the ball.

I don’t know if the players are scared to make a mistake or confidence is rock bottom but it’s not good to watch.

I personally don’t think it’s good all the loan players coming in I know there was none today but our squad players train every week then come Thursday players arrive on loan and straight into the side this can’t be good for morale.

The side we assembled at the start of the season had depth and our worry was who to pick yet a few games in we have loan players why sign players in if your not going to pick them?

Perry looked really strong today which was one of the few positives but Ben Jones Bishop started slowly then faded out of the game he really does not look interested he may be injured but as mentioned there’s no excuse for letting the ball bounce for there third try.

As fans we pay our money support our team shout encouragement show passion all I want is some passion back I don’t mind getting beat as a York fan we have suffered plenty in the past but just want some fire back in the team.

Didn't turn up for the first 50 minutes second best all over the pitch,yet again coughed up the ball to many times and gave away to many penalties,can't believe how poor we are with the squad we have assembled,can't see us turning our form around and I'm dreading what Fev are going to do to us in 2 weeks another bad Sunday for the knights

score flattered us. no team spirit, no ideas

we have 4 pts and points difference in hand over oldham to stay up. oldham have away trips to haven and swinton which are winable but they will struggle to get any more points i think. id hope we could get 2pts when swinton visit us and possibly when haven come to york, but cant see us doin much else. so we should just cling onto our place in this league...then its time for BIG changes to personnel

We have too many 'experienced' players yet no leaders.  

There are players who are trying to lead by example but no one vocal in the way that Spearsie was when he was skipper. I think his influence has been eroded by the influx of 'senior players'.

Then where do we start with our defence. Our pride has gone, we fall off too many tackles. 

There  were some poor tackles which cost us again today at times but would have to mention Kirmo who had the thankless task of having to stop Ukuma Taia, which, by and large, he did. Taia sat Jack Teanby on his backside at one point and Kirmo got him around the ankles but, from the play the ball, a missed tackle saw them score anyway.

Ben Jones-Bishop - would happily never see him play for us again. He looked lethargic, not arsed. 

I cant disagree with that. Sorry, any BJB fans. 

Nothing wrong with signing SL players, but let's get the right type next season. The likes of K. Dixon, Salter, Marsh who have something to prove after being released. They've never let us down. Same with Bass, Stock and Perry. R Dixon and Green weren't terrible today. 

With the exception of Kieran Dixon and Ryan Atkins, our better players, week in week out are our players we carried forward - Bassy, Scotty, March, Salts, Jubby etc.

Especially when you've just brought back Riley Dean (ignoring any rumours on here).  

Riley, apparently, was rendered unavailable today due to an 'admin problem'.

Not an excuse but another poor refereeing display, again a lack of mobility and good positioning  means that decisions are being guessed at. Apparently Knights complaining that his poor positioning impeded potential tacklers for one Thunder try.

Wish that one of these weeks we would get a kind bounce of the ball.

Thought Evan Simons thoroughly deserved his MOM  was was impressed by their half back, Shorrocks too.

Punxsutawney City Knights

Bill Murray must be getting fed up with Groundhog day. 

Another Sunday, another defeat

Count your blessings that Oldham & Swinton will save you from relegation this season🤔🤣

6 minutes ago, coolie said:

Count your blessings that Oldham & Swinton will save you from relegation this season🤔🤣

Another Sunday another defeat not a problem I’m used to defeats been a York fan through the years and even if we get relegated I will still be there supporting them. No side can expect just to turn up and win in this league and that’s what makes it a fantastic league.

1 hour ago, Nearenough said:

score flattered us. no team spirit, no ideas

we have 4 pts and points difference in hand over oldham to stay up. oldham have away trips to haven and swinton which are winable but they will struggle to get any more points i think. id hope we could get 2pts when swinton visit us and possibly when haven come to york, but cant see us doin much else. so we should just cling onto our place in this league...then its time for BIG changes to personnel

would big changes be large enough to cover this mess that even fordy cannot acknowledge.

Looks like jubby and porter out long term.....

We have no 7 or 6 both 9's out..... We really are on our ###### for a team. You can't expect forwards to play in the halves and have success, even if they are ex super League. Hopefully we can stay up and regroup for next year. 

42 minutes ago, coolie said:

Been a York fan of 45 years we are used to abject failure and defeat. I’m just glad we have a club. Seeing your side not win one game in a season and get 40, 50 or more pumped by them every week in the bad old days really does toughen you up. This is all a breeze and a good season as  rubbish as they are going this year compared to them Wasps days. 

We must love pain 😂

Well finally i have my new all singing and all  dancing   lenovo ideapad with the ryzen processor so hopefuly no more cock-up posts,not a lot to say out played for most of the game when Thunder threw the ball about at pace they cut us to bit, its somthing we have failed to do all season  and thats  air the ball, i thought our defence was tighter than of late yet still not top notch and we ran the ball stronger, lacking a general, the best team won they scored some quality tries another bad day at the office.

3 hours ago, yck2017 said:

Well finally i have my new all singing and all  dancing   lenovo ideapad with the ryzen processor so hopefuly no more cock-up posts,not a lot to say out played for most of the game when Thunder threw the ball about at pace they cut us to bit, its somthing we have failed to do all season  and thats  air the ball, i thought our defence was tighter than of late yet still not top notch and we ran the ball stronger, lacking a general, the best team won they scored some quality tries another bad day at the office.

Is it quick enough to play in the halves?

I don't think the cup/1895 run has done us any real favours to be honest, once the final has been played, we'll have played 11 games more so far this season than the team at top of the table and 8 more games than the team below us, a ridiculous statistic at the start of July. Injuries to both halfbacks and hookers have totally decimated any capacity to play to any real attacking structure and add the 6 again rule and we're totally knackered every week hence shipping 30 points every game. Not excuses, but the reasons we are where we are.

I know Fev have had similar, but with our 2 halfbacks and hookers fit and firing we'd have probably beaten Fev, Batley, Whitehaven, Bradford, Halifax, Newcastle and been sat comfortably in second and no-one would be batting an eyelid. 

I'm sure Fordy has made mistakes but I'm not putting the blame at his door just yet.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Archived