Lower league crowds

26 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm banging on a bit but I really do think the concessions changing from a fiver to £15 is a factor. They would have at least four more each week if they hadn't done that (my family). I think how many families/ pensioners now can't be justify it either 

Zero match experience now. Second half of Haven game there were two lads playing football on the astro directly next to and in clear site of the players/game.... Gate to ground was open... I assume they walked in.... 

A joke 

Do they announce the crowd changes to the team ?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rowan said:

Playing in a shared ground would be a step too far for some people. They would look at Hull, Huddersfield, Wigan, Rochdale.   RL clubs I understand have to vacate for a spell during the summer while pitches are re-laid - in other words the summer sport (RL) takes a back seat. Rochdale fans will remember the occasion when they were supposed to play - I think it was York -  and there was such a kerfuffle they couldn't even put the posts up.   The Rochdale venture after they sold the Athletic Grounds and moved in to Spotland started with the best of wills while Oldham went from Super League to nomads after being turfed out of Boundary Park.  The Barrow clubs may not have great grounds but they are fit for purpose and that seems to suit both parties.

The Football ground has had a few Million spent on it over the last 5 or 6 seasons, Several upgrades before promotion to L2 & now several more to comply with the L2 Regs

Craven Park has lost both Roofs in the end zones & the Popular Side will need renewing yesterday etc but They have spent good money in areas that will reap the benefit of that investment & no doubt contribute the majority of the funds required for the Pop side roof or any other upgrades required.

Bizarrely under COVID both clubs are flourishing atm & long may it continue.

Crowds of around 300 at Oldham so I'm led to believe. I think the cost a superleague game is fantastic value compared with the Championship. It's £19 to be seated at Oldham, it's £24 to be seated at the Halliwell Jones whilst watching some of the best players in the country. For an extra fiver, it doesn't take much thinking about does it. 

3 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Crowds of around 300 at Oldham so I'm led to believe. I think the cost a superleague game is fantastic value compared with the Championship. It's £19 to be seated at Oldham, it's £24 to be seated at the Halliwell Jones whilst watching some of the best players in the country. For an extra fiver, it doesn't take much thinking about does it. 

How are some clubs going to manage without sky money with crowds of that size. So glad my club barrow still own our ground to make the short fall up. 

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It really does feel like the end

I have a feeling Wimbledon won't happen and we then just stumble to the end of the season then that may be it

I suspect you might be right on the move. A 240 crowd will raise questions from AFC Wimbledon, I’m sure.

Just now, Butch said:

How are some clubs going to manage without sky money with crowds of that size. So glad my club barrow still own our ground to make the short fall up. 

Some clubs will probably go to the wall. I suppose you could say that the nomadic clubs may have an advantage here because they won't have the overheads of owning a ground. We really won't know until it happens, I hope it doesn't happen at all. It'd be tragic to lose any club and it'd make the sport smaller,its already small enough. For instance with Oldham, if there was no rugby league in Oldham you wouldn't have Kevin Sinfield, Barry Mcdermot, Kyle Eastmond, Paul Sculthorpe, Jordan Turner etc. Not all players in superleague come from superleague towns. 

4 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Some clubs will probably go to the wall. I suppose you could say that the nomadic clubs may have an advantage here because they won't have the overheads of owning a ground. We really won't know until it happens, I hope it doesn't happen at all. It'd be tragic to lose any club and it'd make the sport smaller,its already small enough. For instance with Oldham, if there was no rugby league in Oldham you wouldn't have Kevin Sinfield, Barry Mcdermot, Kyle Eastmond, Paul Sculthorpe, Jordan Turner etc. Not all players in superleague come from superleague towns. 

So true. Super league needs to have a good look at them selves. Stop being greedy and share the money around for the good of the sport. 

25 minutes ago, Butch said:

So true. Super league needs to have a good look at them selves. Stop being greedy and share the money around for the good of the sport. 

To be fair it’s not like there’s much money to go around, it’s hardly premier league stuff, how much do you think the SL clubs could afford to give? 

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

To be fair it’s not like there’s much money to go around, it’s hardly premier league stuff, how much do you think the SL clubs could afford to give? 

If we were to be brutally honest."The games knackered". 

2 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

If we were to be brutally honest."The games knackered". 

The future of the game is getting the younger generation in to going to the games. And all clubs from top to bottom looking after each other. Also getting more games back on terrestrial tv even if it means walking away from sky. 

7 minutes ago, Butch said:

The future of the game is getting the younger generation in to going to the games. And all clubs from top to bottom looking after each other. Also getting more games back on terrestrial tv even if it means walking away from sky. 

That's just it. I'm 45 and I feel embryonic sometimes. The terrestrial TV thing would be good but the RFL are now dependent on the sky money just to stay afloat. Another problem in rugby league is self interest and tribalism. 

League 1 has surprised me this year, extremely competitive, crowds rising and some excellent games to come,I think it has suffered in the past with negative press but to be honest there's not a lot between the top 6 clubs. Different approaches being taken to attracting crowds as well, I like Barrows free before 1 as fans are making a full day of it and the game is just part of the attraction, Rochdale pricing at £10 is also fantastic value. Town are up at their capacity and also utilising the ground for other events. It's a pity the numbers of teams weren't equalised out though as the lack of games is the divisions biggest fault

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Mental cost but no surprise.  We talk about London decline but the death of Rugby League in Manchester is a worse story.  Rochdale in a stadium too big.  Oldham and Swinton homeless and Salford play in a oversized inaccessible stadium from which they may too be evicted. 

RFL moving into Manchester after they killed a potential RFL club in the centre and as the games crumbles around them.  

Maybe Swinton and Salford can work together to find a site for both of them.  Oldham without a home in the town could be dead. 

I think there will no rugby league at a pro or semi pro level eventually, it's only a matter of time. They can't merge them, I don't think the fans of any of them would support a team under a Manchester banner. 

2 hours ago, Butch said:

I think some clubs will sadly go to the wall.

23 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Not a merger but two teams (Swinton and Salford) playing at a 3g stadium is possible.  Mergers are a sign of decline usually. 

And I wanted to see in Manchester to attract new fans and create new rivalries for the GM teams. 

I suppose it depends on money, more from a Swinton then a Salford point of view. I wouldn't have thought either is particularly cash rich though. 

3 hours ago, Butch said:

If Barrow can get good healthy crowds of say 2000-3000 on a regular basis paying say £17 average then they will almost certainly not need the money from Sky/RFL,the frankly pittance it is.

1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

I think there will no rugby league at a pro or semi pro level eventually, it's only a matter of time. They can't merge them, I don't think the fans of any of them would support a team under a Manchester banner. 

I would not support a merged team myself from Salford,Swinton and Oldham.I leave Rochdale out deliberately as they play in their own town albeit in a stadium that is too big for them at this stage.But it is a good stadium all the same and is probably Super League standard.

As a Swinton Lions fan I was in favour,yes with a heavy heart of the rebranding that was proposed.Whether it would have worked we will probably never know as it didn’t happen and of course had it have done Covid got in the way. And of course Salford there is a huge dark cloud over their future as they are worried about being homeless. And of course both us and your team Oldham sadly don’t play in our respective towns either, and you can say the same with Salford,albeit within Salford City Council boundaries.

I genuinely fear that there will be no professional/semi professional rugby league clubs in the Manchester area after the end of this season.

6 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I would not support a merged team myself from Salford,Swinton and Oldham.I leave Rochdale out deliberately as they play in their own town albeit in a stadium that is too big for them at this stage.But it is a good stadium all the same and is probably Super League standard.

As a Swinton Lions fan I was in favour,yes with a heavy heart of the rebranding that was proposed.Whether it would have worked we will probably never know as it didn’t happen and of course had it have done Covid got in the way. And of course Salford there is a huge dark cloud over their future as they are worried about being homeless. And of course both us and your team Oldham sadly don’t play in our respective towns either, and you can say the same with Salford,albeit within Salford City Council boundaries.

I genuinely fear that there will be no professional/semi professional rugby league clubs in the Manchester area after the end of this season.

The whole situation at lower league level isn't a good one. 

Archived