Another SL Game Off

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there was a genuine relegation battle this year, it would have to be scrapped. Leigh's 13 straight losses will probably mean it stays.

Sadly, the season is turning very messy indeed and I struggle to see how it changes soon as most players won't be double jabbed until August or September.

For now, it's a matter of hoping that the final next week isn't impacted.

12 minutes ago, dkw said:

Hull v leigh confirmed off, which is amazing, how can this happen after everything gubrats told us...

Also warrington v hull kr confirmed off too.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/35710/betfred-super-league-update-–-july-10

In defence of GUBRATS, its Hull that have had to postpone, not Leigh. 10 players are isolating, plus a further 9 injured.

25 minutes ago, MZH said:

In defence of GUBRATS, its Hull that have had to postpone, not Leigh. 10 players are isolating, plus a further 9 injured.

But gubrats told us no one would postpone a game v Leigh because they would expect to win it....

15 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

This is getting a bit ridiculous; stick the professional teams into bubbles and get on with playing the season in a professional manner. 

They literally can’t do that, though, can they? There’s not the finances in the sport to do that. 

On 07/07/2021 at 15:25, Hammerless Nail said:

Salford have a squad of 29 (Elliot Kear was released a month or so ago so he could play part-time with Bradford while he trained for his post Rugby League career as a fireman). The signing of Ellis Robson takes it back up to 30, albeit temporarily. Of those 30, 4 are currently suspended and at least another 4 are injured, 2 of them long term. This gives the coach 22 players to choose from, and that's what he did, naming a 21 man squad for the Wakefield game. Then 1 player returned a positive PCR test, resulting in 6 other players having to isolate. The 'law of averages' you're fond of citing, then, tells us that with 8 players missing through injury or suspension, there's an 8/30 chance that it was one of those players who tested positive and an 8/30 chance that any of those players is one of the six to be isolating. Concommitantly, this means there's a 22/30 chance that it was one of the available players who tested positive, and a 22/30 chance that any of those players is one of the six to be isolating. That's approximately a 25/75 split (and I'm being a bit generous there, because, given the seriousness of their injuries, I think it unlikely that either Kallum Watkins or Kevin Brown is training with the rest of the squad at the moment). This suggests it is likely that the Covid outbreak meant they wouldn't be able to name a 17 man squad, and so exercised their right to have the match postponed. Does this add up for you?

So, given your 'law of averages', what sounds most likely to you? That the club are grifting, or that they've not been able to name a squad because of Covid? Even if we go with your completely made up idea that Salford are pulling a fast one, what has it got them? The fixture has been rearranged for 17th July, by which time just one of the suspended players will be available, and it's unlikely that at least 2 of the injured players will be available (and that's assuming they pick up no more injuries or suspensions during Sunday's game at Castleford). And for this rearranged fixture, it looks like they will have to forfeit home advantage as the stadium is scheduled to be unavailable that week. In addition, they will go into the Castleford match without having had a full training session until Friday because of players isolating. Does it really sound likely that they're grifting here?

Sometimes, just sometimes, there isn't some hidden truth behind the headline, and what people say happened is actually what did happen.

I like your math  but the flaw of course is that you account for all the suspensions and injuries as not being subject to the covid rules you have only applied it to the fit players unless you know something more then your average is wrong.

I feel I need to vent a bit on this!  We have a situation whereby the government have decided to let Covid run through society unabated, with the logic seemingly being that those most at risk from catching it now are not that likely to end up dead or in hospital, and that the hospitalisations this does lead to will be manageable (this might be perfectly sound logic btw, and the least bad option available). 

But at the same time as adopting the policy, and whilst trying to open society up, rules remain in place that mean that huge swathes of that same society are being asked to isolate for the very exposure that is practically being encouraged.  Any industry, organisation, club or whatever, made up of members of society seemingly being targeted by this pursuit of herd immunity face being continually closed down as a result - clearly rugby league falls into this category.  Without a fundamental change in approach, I'm struggling to see how we will see more than a handful of games over the next few months.  There's nothing SL can do about this it seems.

The irony here of course is that having had a year of games without fans being properly allowed, fans are now allowed back at precisely the time the rules will forbid games from being played.  You couldn't make it up!

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

2 hours ago, MZH said:

Postpone is one thing , it was cancelling that I posted , very different

7 minutes ago, M j M said:

Comedy 😆

So postponing to play at a later date is the same as cancelling which then results in the club being cancelled against getting the points , if you're too thick to understand that , there's not much more I can do to help you 

Is there 

The situation is hugely frustrating but I feel we are seeing an over reaction from fans.

Every Hull KR player except 2 have now had COVID and presumably we are approaching a similar situation at most clubs.

I don't think anyone as yet has had COVID twice so it shouldn't be long before the situation improves considerably.

Hull KR are now able to play but can't find an opponent. That should not be the case in 2 weeks time when I expect things to look far more optimistic.

13 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So postponing to play at a later date is the same as cancelling which then results in the club being cancelled against getting the points , if you're too thick to understand that , there's not much more I can do to help you 

Is there 

But most postponed games aren't going to be played so you are making up a nuance for quite obvious reasons.

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

But most postponed games aren't going to be played so you are making up a nuance for quite obvious reasons.

Arent they ? , Where has this been published ? , Or do you mean clubs will be picking and choosing which teams they want to play and which teams they don't want to play at the end of the season ? 

What a complete xxxxxxxxg mess 

2 hours ago, Neil_Ormston said:

I feel I need to vent a bit on this!  We have a situation whereby the government have decided to let Covid run through society unabated, with the logic seemingly being that those most at risk from catching it now are not that likely to end up dead or in hospital, and that the hospitalisations this does lead to will be manageable (this might be perfectly sound logic btw, and the least bad option available). 

But at the same time as adopting the policy, and whilst trying to open society up, rules remain in place that mean that huge swathes of that same society are being asked to isolate for the very exposure that is practically being encouraged.  Any industry, organisation, club or whatever, made up of members of society seemingly being targeted by this pursuit of herd immunity face being continually closed down as a result - clearly rugby league falls into this category.  Without a fundamental change in approach, I'm struggling to see how we will see more than a handful of games over the next few months.  There's nothing SL can do about this it seems.

The irony here of course is that having had a year of games without fans being properly allowed, fans are now allowed back at precisely the time the rules will forbid games from being played.  You couldn't make it up!

unabated?

we have massive %age that have jabbed. That's working hard, not abated.

At one point something like 700 a day were dieing. Yesterday I think it was 34.  It's not allowing running abated.  Plus I think may who are hospitalised are not there long. 

The real issue  ...  The RFL and particularly the SL are dragging their feet in dropping the loops. They should do it now.  Screw SKY.   The need to create space for a fair chance to complete a 22 round regular season and not cripple the players.  Those who like Magic can lobby for that.

Plus, it's clear clubs are being terribly casual about this.  Infants are running our game.

"Amateurish"

Archived