Another SL Game Off

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So postponing to play at a later date is the same as cancelling which then results in the club being cancelled against getting the points , if you're too thick to understand that , there's not much more I can do to help you 

Is there 

Cancelled or postponed,call it what you want it’s highly unlikely the game will be played.

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Cancelled or postponed,call it what you want it’s highly unlikely the game will be played.

Yes but if they ( Hull ) postpone 2 games during the season , 1 Leigh and another somebody else , which one will they decide to play at the end of the season if they need 2 points to make the play offs ?

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes but if they ( Hull ) postpone 2 games during the season , 1 Leigh and another somebody else , which one will they decide to play at the end of the season if they need 2 points to make the play offs ?

Weren't the rules for that set out at the beginning of the season?

If I remember correctly, matches postponed for COVID have to be rearranged to be played in the order they are postponed.

4 hours ago, Neil_Ormston said:

I feel I need to vent a bit on this!  We have a situation whereby the government have decided to let Covid run through society unabated, with the logic seemingly being that those most at risk from catching it now are not that likely to end up dead or in hospital, and that the hospitalisations this does lead to will be manageable (this might be perfectly sound logic btw, and the least bad option available). 

But at the same time as adopting the policy, and whilst trying to open society up, rules remain in place that mean that huge swathes of that same society are being asked to isolate for the very exposure that is practically being encouraged.  Any industry, organisation, club or whatever, made up of members of society seemingly being targeted by this pursuit of herd immunity face being continually closed down as a result - clearly rugby league falls into this category.  Without a fundamental change in approach, I'm struggling to see how we will see more than a handful of games over the next few months.  There's nothing SL can do about this it seems.

The irony here of course is that having had a year of games without fans being properly allowed, fans are now allowed back at precisely the time the rules will forbid games from being played.  You couldn't make it up!

"You couldn't make it up!" 

You did, though. Nonsense like this belongs on the politics sub forum. 

The irony of the situation is that if things had been normal you would be looking at 2 French clubs finishing top of their respective divisions, events however are almost certainly going to conspire against that happening, for which many in the game will be thankful. It's a shambles, and whilst I have sympathy for the 2 French clubs I just can't see how anything meaningful can be taken out of this fiasco of a season, it will have to stagger to a conclusion because the game is too bereft of funds to do otherwise, but it means nothing and with the recent events here and down under and the likelihood of them worsening you won't be watching a World Cup in autumn, but that was obvious from when the outbreak began knowing the Aussies disdain for anything outside their own backyard.

27 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Weren't the rules for that set out at the beginning of the season?

If I remember correctly, matches postponed for COVID have to be played in the order they are postponed.

Providing that suits the opposition no doubt

17 hours ago, Davo5 said:

So if points can't be apportioned, what happens to the Legue placings If say Salford don't win another game and Leigh win two (highly unlikely I know, but for the sake of the discussion let's include it) and those results put Leigh level on points BUT because of a game not being played one of the teams doesn't have the opportunity to contest for points that would put them above the other and therefore avoid relegation, that can't be right surely, can it?

1 hour ago, johnh1 said:

In that event, the team playing one less game will presumably have a higher percentage. So I assume that that team would not want to play the final match as it would bring the percentages level if they lost.

So why have games forfeited already ?

1 hour ago, johnh1 said:

In that event, the team playing one less game will presumably have a higher percentage. So I assume that that team would not want to play the final match as it would bring the percentages level if they lost.

Has me owd gran would say, "what a palaver" being a unnecessarily elaborate or complex procedure.

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So why have games forfeited already ?

Only games where a team can't meet the competition rules have been forfeited 24-0.

A result is recorded.

A game postponed due to Covid is expected, at this time, to be fulfilled at a later date.

13 minutes ago, dboy said:

Only games where a team can't meet the competition rules have been forfeited 24-0.

A result is recorded.

A game postponed due to Covid is expected, at this time, to be fulfilled at a later date.

Can't meet competition rules , as in ?

The rules, use of %s and everything was laid out really clearly before the season starts.

I love how some people are expressing shock and amazement at this, but them being ignorant of it doesn't invalidate them, or the reasons for those decisions being made (which look very wise right now).

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Can't meet competition rules , as in ?

There is a requirement to maintain a squad to fulfil fixtures.

There has been a mitigation made for Covid-specific cancellations, but otherwise, if you fail to fulfil a fixture, you are in breach of the regulations.

3 minutes ago, dboy said:

There is a requirement to maintain a squad to fulfil fixtures.

There has been a mitigation made for Covid-specific cancellations, but otherwise, if you fail to fulfil a fixture, you are in breach of the regulations.

So which games are postponed up to now , and which have been cancelled and points given ? , Unless everybody is aware of that situation , nobody really knows where they are or what they are playing for 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

So which games are postponed up to now , and which have been cancelled and points given ? , Unless everybody is aware of that situation , nobody really knows where they are or what they are playing for 

Eh?

Everyone knows which games have been cancelled (24-0), and which games have been postponed.

See rule B1.22 of the Operational Rules for guidance regarding the fulfilment of fixtures.

Maybe rather than having a postponement, if the game simply went to the "non-offending" club, things would be better - but can you imagine if that had been the suggestion at the beginning of the season?

10 minutes ago, dboy said:

Eh?

Everyone knows which games have been cancelled (24-0), and which games have been postponed.

See rule B1.22 of the Operational Rules for guidance regarding the fulfilment of fixtures.

Maybe rather than having a postponement, if the game simply went to the "non-offending" club, things would be better - but can you imagine if that had been the suggestion at the beginning of the season?

I don't know , but you obviously do , so which are they ? 

On your last point , I agree , what an unholy mess we are in 

So the games that are postponed , what happens to them at the end of the season ? , Is it fair to have a team relegated in those circumstances ? 

Wow. If you don't know which have been cancelled and which have been postponed, then you have been asleep. I think you know and you are just being awkward for some reason.

The games postponed due to covid thresholds being reached, are to be rearranged at a suitable point in the season.

Whether or not they actually find space for them remains to be seen.

As it stands, none of the fixture amendments are having any effect at all on the bottom of the table/relegation.

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So the games that are postponed , what happens to them at the end of the season ? , Is it fair to have a team relegated in those circumstances ? 

Postponed games are rearranged where possible. Next weekend for example the Hull derby, Hudds vs Wigan and Catalan vs Leeds games have been scheduled after earlier postponements. But after the otherwise blank cup final weekend we are struggling to find space in the calendar.

And yes, of course it's fair to have a team relegated. The rules haven't changed, the % league table was there from the start and outlined in some detail. It appears that some people didn't pay enough attention to this but ultimately that's their problem.

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I don't know , but you obviously do , so which are they ? 

On your last point , I agree , what an unholy mess we are in 

I really hope you are just being obtuse as usual, otherwise you are way over the edge of hysteria and paranoia and really need to take time away from your keyboard. 

1 minute ago, dkw said:

I really hope you are just being obtuse as usual, otherwise you are way over the edge of hysteria and paranoia and really need to take time away from your keyboard. 

You don't know either , do you ? 😉

Archived