Another SL Game Off

10 minutes ago, M j M said:

Postponed games are rearranged where possible. Next weekend for example the Hull derby, Hudds vs Wigan and Catalan vs Leeds games have been scheduled after earlier postponements. But after the otherwise blank cup final weekend we are struggling to find space in the calendar.

And yes, of course it's fair to have a team relegated. The rules haven't changed, the % league table was there from the start and outlined in some detail. It appears that some people didn't pay enough attention to this but ultimately that's their problem.

You either postpone OR cancel , you don't do both , or you are leaving the season open to abuse , do you agree ? 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

You either postpone OR cancel , you don't do both , or you are leaving the season open to abuse , do you agree ? 

You don't understand the difference between a cancellation and a postponement, do you?

The rules state you have to fulfil fixtures. If you don't, the opposition is awarded the game 24-0.

If you can't play the fixtures due to meeting the covid threshold, the game is postponed, to be played later in the season - the principle being; it's not your fault you breached the operational rules.

It remains to be seen what happens if there becomes a point whereby a covid-affected fixture cannot be fitted in to the season.

2 minutes ago, dboy said:

You don't understand the difference between a cancellation and a postponement, do you?

The rules state you have to fulfil fixtures. If you don't, the opposition is awarded the game 24-0.

If you can't play the fixtures due to meeting the covid threshold, the game is postponed, to be played later in the season - the principle being; it's not your fault you breached the operational rules.

It remains to be seen what happens if there becomes a point whereby a covid-affected fixture cannot be fitted in to the season.

So given your last sentence , it seems nobody really knows the difference between cancellation and postponement ateotd , to have both is plain stupid , to avoid manipulation it would have been better to have had one or the other 

So , just for my benefit , as it's only me that doesn't know , and obviously you do know , how many games have been forfeited ? , And which teams , because whoever it is has real issues , I don't recall it happening ever before 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

So given your last sentence , it seems nobody really knows the difference between cancellation and postponement ateotd , to have both is plain stupid , to avoid manipulation it would have been better to have had one or the other 

So , just for my benefit , as it's only me that doesn't know , and obviously you do know , how many games have been forfeited ? , And which teams , because whoever it is has real issues , I don't recall it happening ever before 

The games missed due to covid are postponed. They are not cancelled.

IF they can't be fitted in, ONLY THEN, will consideration be given to cancelling them. I imagine that, as they would become "no-blame" cancellations, the games will be expunged (as we can't have draws), but it remains to be seen.

You know exactly which games were cancelled 24-0, and I'm not going to humour you.

1 minute ago, dboy said:

IF they can't be fitted in, ONLY THEN, will consideration be given to cancelling them. I imagine that, as they would become "no-blame" cancellations, the games will be expunged (as we can't have draws), but it remains to be seen.

You know exactly which games were cancelled 24-0, and I'm not going to humour you.

Genuinely I don't , which games have been cancelled ? , If you can't tell me , that means you don't know either 😂

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Come on , sombody must know 

Which games have been cancelled ?

The "cancelled" (actually forfeited) games were the ones for which one of the clubs couldn't raise teams but didn't have enough out through Covid to meet the Covid criteria for them to be postponed and rearranged iff possible. Off the top of my head these were Cas vs Saints, Hudds vs Cas, Salford vs Warrington. These were all fully covered in the media at the time, if you were genuinely interested in this it wouldn't come as news.

4 hours ago, M j M said:

The "cancelled" (actually forfeited) games were the ones for which one of the clubs couldn't raise teams but didn't have enough out through Covid to meet the Covid criteria for them to be postponed and rearranged iff possible. Off the top of my head these were Cas vs Saints, Hudds vs Cas, Salford vs Warrington. These were all fully covered in the media at the time, if you were genuinely interested in this it wouldn't come as news.

Cheers 👍

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

So if points can't be apportioned, what happens to the Legue placings If say Salford don't win another game and Leigh win two (highly unlikely I know, but for the sake of the discussion let's include it) and those results put Leigh level on points BUT because of a game not being played one of the teams doesn't have the opportunity to contest for points that would put them above the other and therefore avoid relegation, that can't be right surely, can it?

Well Salford certainly peed on't chips of that suggestion today☹️

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Still a "palaver"

Perhaps Mr Beaumont is correct in saving his money?

No relegation this term?

I’m sure you’ll be leading the protest march if Leigh bottom & don’t get relegated.

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

The RFL have published a warning to clubs.   So it has to be a thought from them that they are suspicious of some clubs faking it.

Be interesting to see if FC can get enough recoveries to play the Derby in 4 days time ?

19 hours ago, dboy said:

If they cannot be fitted in then they will be "cancelled" but not awarded which is why the percentage points is in use. If they were then going to go through them, cancel and award the points there would be no need for points percentage. it was an either/or when the plan was put together. 

12 minutes ago, RP London said:

If they cannot be fitted in then they will be "cancelled" but not awarded which is why the percentage points is in use. If they were then going to go through them, cancel and award the points there would be no need for points percentage. it was an either/or when the plan was put together. 

Be interesting to see what 'guidance' the RFL give over the 'fitting in' of fixtures. Saints are one of those clubs likely to be worst affected in that they've had games cancelled on them by other clubs and have no free weekend due to playing in CC Final.

Without sounding too cynical, Leeds & HKR would probably want to reschedule their Saints games at a time in the fixture list that best suits them and/or is most inconvenient for Saints. Would Saints be forced to just accept the rearranged date put forward by those clubs or would it have to be a date that has been 'agreed' by both clubs ? 

Personally I think the decision on if or when to reschedule should lie with the club who was cancelled on in the first place not the club doing the cancelling.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

16 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well Salford certainly peed on't chips of that suggestion today☹️

Yeah Magic!

Relegation in a time of pandemic?

You'd think even the champions of P&R would draw a line somewhere, wouldn't you?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

22 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Personally I think the decision on if or when to reschedule should lie with the club who was cancelled on in the first place not the club doing the cancelling.

No, there really isn't any justification in giving one side the upper hand.

11 minutes ago, M j M said:

No, there really isn't any justification in giving one side the upper hand.

So whats the solution then ?

Do the RFL 'force' clubs to fulfill these fixtures knowing they'll be forcing the players to back-up for several weeks, with all the implications for player welfare that goes with this ?

or do they let the clubs decide between themselves whether they want to fulfill the fixture or not. What happens if one club wants to and the other club doesn't, who gets the final decision ? 

Personally, if they are going to force clubs to fulfill these missed fixtures then they should scrap Magic weekend which is just another loop fixture and leave that weekend free for clubs to play missed games from the regular season fixture list. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

As far as I remember, the games so far are

Postponed

*Huddersfield V Wigan 

Leeds V St Helens

*Catalans V Leeds 

Hull KR V St Helens

*Salford V Wakefield

*Hull KR V Hull FC

Hull FC V Salford

Catalans V Hull KR

Hull FC V Leigh

Hull KR V Warrington 

*being played this week

Cancelled

Castleford V St Helens

Huddersfield V Castleford

so 10 games postponed (4 rearranged)

and 2 cancelled.

18 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Do the RFL 'force' clubs to fulfill these fixtures knowing they'll be forcing the players to back-up for several weeks, with all the implications for player welfare that goes with this ?

or do they let the clubs decide between themselves whether they want to fulfill the fixture or not. What happens if one club wants to and the other club doesn't, who gets the final decision ? 

Personally, if they are going to force clubs to fulfill these missed fixtures then they should scrap Magic weekend which is just another loop fixture and leave that weekend free for clubs to play missed games from the regular season fixture list. 

The problem with this is it's not even. 

Hull KR have 4 (3 after this weekend) games to catch up

Hull FC have 3 (2)

Wakefield & Cas will have none.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Be interesting to see what 'guidance' the RFL give over the 'fitting in' of fixtures. Saints are one of those clubs likely to be worst affected in that they've had games cancelled on them by other clubs and have no free weekend due to playing in CC Final.

Without sounding too cynical, Leeds & HKR would probably want to reschedule their Saints games at a time in the fixture list that best suits them and/or is most inconvenient for Saints. Would Saints be forced to just accept the rearranged date put forward by those clubs or would it have to be a date that has been 'agreed' by both clubs ? 

My guess, and it is just a guess, is that the RFL/SL will do the rescheduling taking into account player welfare issues and the order in which games were postponed in the first place. Therefore it is not up to the clubs to pick and chose etc. Saints would then have to play on that date as they would do with any game that was postponed under normal conditions due to the weather etc. 

As far as i can tell it is all quite fair and well thought out, there is a fair bit of "making a meal of it" on here IMHO.. a lot of "what iffery" which is actually covered by the operational rules (the above will be covered I am sure) as they have been very good.

Again its not perfect but nothing was ever going to be this year but it seems to be going ok this season with the plan being relatively robust. My feeling is that even the warning given by the RFL about this has been done because of the chatter and to make sure people know they are watching and checking rather than it being a real issue as such.

edit: just to add.. if they cannot find space they dont play and hence having the game percentage used, there is no pressure then to have to play the game and force players/clubs to have to compromise on player welfare. Again IMHO this has all been well thought out in advance by the RFL and SL to help ensure no panic and the best situation possible. 

16 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I’m sure you’ll be leading the protest march if Leigh bottom & don’t get relegated.

Dav, honestly I am not bothered either way, as you know I predicted Leigh would not win a game this season, it started out catastrophic but Mr Beaumont wanted to go into SL and has progressively  got worse, Che Sara as far as I am concerned.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Dav, honestly I am not bothered either way, as you know I predicted Leigh would not win a game this season, it started out catastrophic but Mr Beaumont wanted to go into SL and has progressively  got worse, Che Sara as far as I am concerned.

is that the new Cuban communist leader?

23 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

That's far to sensible for RL.... in particular SL in this instance.  But frankly bringing everyone together is a hostage for fortune as well.

But then again, a headless chicken is more sensible than SL/RFL

Archived