Another SL Game Off

On 21/07/2021 at 17:35, Man of Kent said:

Why do I suspect these postponements are pre-ordained? 

The Super League season is getting farcical.

It’s getting harder to keep track of the fixtures, and the televised fixtures - which were a straightforward Thursday night, Friday night and every other Saturday evening - are all over the shop. Cramming in midweek fixtures was a mistake. 

Its not just the first teams being affected. Warrington have just postponed this weekend's U19's game against Saints due to positive tests and self isolations.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Is it not not a case that the Covid controls are too strict? Young fit players don't need to follow the same restrictions as pensioners.

I think that is a fair point. 

It might belong on the other thread but I can imagine that the Aussie and Kiwi officials will be eyeing all these postponements and cancellations and claiming they justify their decision.  Not saying I agree with that or that is even the full story but I do believe it will be used.

On another point, I don’t follow many other sports these days but how does our rate of cancellations and postponements compare to say lower division football, Union etc? 

Have some sympathy for Saints. They've got an 80%+ win record and a trophy in the cabinet, having played extra games to reach the final; why waste time and energy playing games when they can enjoy themselves a bit and recharge their batteries?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

34 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

BBC reporting Leigh v Castleford on Thursday postponed too due to COVID.

Meaning Leigh’s game at Wigan on Sunday (assuming it goes ahead 🙄) will be a first run out in a full calendar month. They’re all running scared. Only explanation.

Given Cas’ isolation situation is exactly the same for Thursday as it was when the Catalans game was pulled earlier this week, a cynic might suggest they were waiting to see how HKR went on last night before deciding whether or not they needed to risk their win percentage. 

8 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Meaning Leigh’s game at Wigan on Sunday (assuming it goes ahead 🙄) will be a first run out in a full calendar month. They’re all running scared. Only explanation.

I thought Leigh were the only team that the others did want to play against. :kolobok_ph34r:

2 hours ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

On another point, I don’t follow many other sports these days but how does our rate of cancellations and postponements compare to say lower division football, Union etc? 

Can only go on grassroots and lower league football, I've heard of the odd game being postponed due to players having positive tests etc.

Other than that I'd say 98% of all scheduled games get played without any worries.

Top level RL seems to be the onky sport that's affected, maybe they could and should have looked at getting the isolation rules changed or something?

4 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Have some sympathy for Saints. They've got an 80%+ win record and a trophy in the cabinet, having played extra games to reach the final; why waste time and energy playing games when they can enjoy themselves a bit and recharge their batteries?

The system was set up to be fair and reasonable. If clubs abuse the system, then it undermines the integrity of the competition and makes its continuance questionable. I know it's human nature to look for loopholes and any advantage that can be gained honestly or otherwise. However, to do so without looking at the ramifications of abusing something for a selfish, short term gain would be disappointing if true. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, Nate90 said:

Why have players not been double vaccinated yet?

a) It's not compulsory (yet - it's looking like it will be for Premier League players, staff, officials and fans, I guess that might extend to other sports eventually)

b) Some of the older ones probably will have. Most will only have been eligible for their first one from some point in June onwards I think given they'll be in younger age groups, so they won't be due their second jab yet

Shock horror, SL clubs finally work out that the fewer games they play at this point of the season the less chance of their win percentage has of going down, thus protecting their place in the top 6.  It seems covid rates are dropping everywhere except Cas were all their players seem to have had covid twice 🙄

Here we go again .....

9 hours ago, Nate90 said:

It doesn't make any difference if they are or not regarding postponements. Double jabbed people can still test positive (they're just unlikely to get severely ill and die compared to un-vaccinated people), and until the rules change on August 16th everyone, vaccinated or not, has to isolate if they pinged by track & trace unless your working in one of the exempt industries.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

13 hours ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Would have been hell of a party for us to use that excuse this time mate!

Nice break leading up to Wembley,nice rest afterwards and their win % intact,what a stroke of good “ fortune” 😂

41 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Nice break leading up to Wembley,nice rest afterwards and their win % intact,what a stroke of good “ fortune” 😂

Not all cancelled or postponed by Saints. Would be interested to see the stats as to who has postponed or cancelled most games. Could well be wrong but it feels like Catalans, Wigan and Wakefield have just battled on whilst other clubs have held their hands up more often. Huge credit to Hull Kr for fitting in a game against Catalans last weekend at short notice, great effort as well! 

42 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Weird logic. The break before Wembley was enforced due to other teams postponing or cancelling, not a lot they can do about that. So far all of the games Saints have missed out on are teams who are/were in the bottom half who they'd be considerable favourites to win against and up the win percentage.

Would be a very odd type of 'good fortune' to miss those games to rest for far tougher games against Hull and Catalans instead.

19 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Is it not not a case that the Covid controls are too strict? Young fit players don't need to follow the same restrictions as pensioners.

No. The majority of hospital admissions are under 50 with a significant number of under 30's in ICU. Most cases of "long Covid", estimated to be 100,000+ pa, are under 30.

It isn't the flu.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

It doesn't make any difference if they are or not regarding postponements. Double jabbed people can still test positive (they're just unlikely to get severely ill and die compared to un-vaccinated people), and until the rules change on August 16th everyone, vaccinated or not, has to isolate if they pinged by track & trace unless your working in one of the exempt industries.

Course they do 😂

17 hours ago, Nate90 said:

Some think it's just the flu, and also dont realise that many measures are to protect those around them, not just themselves?

County cricket has been effected, and the Lions tour. Its not just us.

Now Salford have got COVID and it looks like they will not be fulfilling their fixture against Hull KR on Thursday.

4 games running now Rovers have found their opponents can't play. First Warrington then Hull then St Helens and now Salford.

It is getting quite ridiculous.

Archived