Roughyeds part company with Matt Diskin

Dave Naylor

2 hours ago, tub said:

Hamilton sacking a coach mid season  is unprecedented  for him ( I think ?) and I guess he sounded out a few of the senior players before he made his decision. I think part of his motivation might be the uncertainity over the League structure next season given the 30% cut in Sky money and as a result the possibilty that there might not be a League 1 to drop into next year !   

And that 35% cut in Sky money could well mean a 50+% cut for Championship and C1 clubs. there might be a couple of Championship clubs disappear if that scenario becomes a reality, and the odds are in favour of it being so I hear.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

And that 35% cut in Sky money could well mean a 50+% cut for Championship and C1 clubs. there might be a couple of Championship clubs disappear if that scenario becomes a reality, and the odds are in favour of it being so I hear.

Not good, not good at all. The thought of losing any club along with all the history that goes with it is very saddening indeed. 

14 hours ago, tub said:

Hamilton sacking a coach mid season  is unprecedented  for him ( I think ?) and I guess he sounded out a few of the senior players before he made his decision. I think part of his motivation might be the uncertainity over the League structure next season given the 30% cut in Sky money and as a result the possibilty that there might not be a League 1 to drop into next year !   

Agreed,. Sacking the coach as such a critical point in the season without a replacement lined up seems particularly poor judgement, week rest or not,  because losing a week or more working with the squad compounds it. I'm not convinced that's what is happening, so surely to be announced today, tomorrow or Monday latest? 

Not sure if Diskin's contract would be paid up? If he was sacked due to none performance then it depends what process had been on place.

With regards his replacement it really needs sorting out urgently. 

The assumption is it will be a coach currently not with another club soo he could start immediately.

I am sure Sheridan will be doing a good job with the lads but was is part of the old coaching team so it is unlikely new ideas will come through.

Or is the club going top try and wing it until the end of the season with Sheridan?

1 hour ago, jroyales said:

It's a sad indictment when there were 4.1K views and 78 replies to the Dewsbury game to the views and replies to this topic.

Is anybody interested?

It is and it does make you wonder whether anyone is interested. With some of the views, it could be users viewing the thread repeatedly. But yes the amount of people putting their views on here seems to be on the slide. I don't think it's an Oldham Roughyeds problem, it's a rugby league problem. I genuinely feel the game is not on steady ground at this time. I hope it improves. 

3 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

I don't think it's an Oldham Roughyeds problem, it's a rugby league problem. I genuinely feel the game is not on steady ground at this time. I hope it improves. 

Very true - I think professional RL is going through a rough time at the moment. It seems strange other sports were getting grants yet RL got loans??

Archived