For those who haven't heard:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tour-de-france-crash-fan-missing/

So basically, a foolish spectator wipes out pretty much everyone except a dozen or so riders at the front, all because she wanted to get her head on TV for a few seconds.

I am amazed that other spectators let her get away, I would have absolutely tackled her (Adrian Morley-style) and waited for police to arrive.  I also find it amazing, in this day and age, that police still haven't found her and/or nobody has come forward and identified her. 

Personally I hope she is caught and dealt with.  This is a perfect example of the 0.1% ruining it for the rest of us.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Damien said:

I saw this yesterday. The Tour de France has always amazed me in the way spectators get so close, and plenty of incidents have happened in the past, but nothing seems to change.

I cannot remember one ever as major as this.  Caused by a spectator I mean.

I think it is wonderful that spectators are allowed as close as they are and (until now) a lot of it has be reliant on people showing self-control and common sense.  Hopefully that can continue to be the case.

11 hours ago, langpark said:

I cannot remember one ever as major as this.  Caused by a spectator I mean.

I think it is wonderful that spectators are allowed as close as they are and (until now) a lot of it has be reliant on people showing self-control and common sense.  Hopefully that can continue to be the case.

My recollection of the stage through the next village to us, a few years back, was that most places where people were able to walk to had barriers up, and that you have about an hour of sponsors vehicles giving away goodies, vehicles selling souvenirs, helicopters overhead, police & security vehicles etc. before the actual riders came through. Doing what that woman did would've been pretty difficult here. Obviously very difficult to barrier the whole route. It's not the first time something like this has happened, is it? They had a policeman taking photos cause a crash a few years back and I'm sure there's been incidents with animals running out too.

Watching the Giro d'Italia earlier in the year there were sections of mountain climbs were the 'tifosi' would be running alongside the cyclist screaming encouragement in their ears, and, on at least one occasion I viewed the cyclist was actually being pushed the hill with a hand on his back. The commentators just seemed to think this was par for the course and added to the spectacle, nothing wrong apparently

Mark Cavendish  proving the old adage form is temporary,  class is permanent  Wins his 31st stage at the Tour de France 5 years after winning stage 30.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

I am very sorry, but when Mark Cavendish is interviewed can we have a 10 second delay to bleep out his stupid obscenities that no-one else deems utterable, and when he is speaking English, can we have subtitles, as it is worse than some of the Colombians

5 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Mark Cavendish  proving the old adage form is temporary,  class is permanent  Wins his 31st stage at the Tour de France 5 years after winning stage 30.

5 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

What an achievement by the greatest TdF sprinter of all time and one of the greatest, most emotional moments I've witnessed in sport for a long time. His teammates, especially Morkov and Alaphilippe, did a fantastic job of delivering him to the finish. Chapeau to Brent van Moer for making it such an exciting finish to the stage too. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

23 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

True, true. But after winning so many stages you'd think that he could control his use of the f-word on live TV? Bloody Manxmen

I would also like to complain about ITV4's coverage of the Tour, 10 minutes of Cycling with a dribble of commentary from people who don't seem to be watching the race, followed by 5 mins+ of adverts, and their £20k competition.

at least the woman livened up the action a bit - a load of blokes going past on bikes dressed like twits is not my idea of a spectator sport

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 28/06/2021 at 23:01, Damien said:

I saw this yesterday. The Tour de France has always amazed me in the way spectators get so close, and plenty of incidents have happened in the past, but nothing seems to change.

You should look up Irish road bowling. 

34 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

You should look up Irish road bowling. 

Sadly have never experienced it live. Remember watching a documentary about three years ago what amazed me was the amount of money being bet.

One old timer called it the greatest sport in the world. To each their own as the saying goes.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

I remember being in Paris for the 100th anniversary TdF, close to the finish on the Chanse Ellisee (or however you spell it), I then went for a wander round the back streets, and found the team buses, and I got talking to one of the guys working down, and we nattered for about 10 mins about cycling, life, work etc., & he then invited me onto the bus to meet the team. Amazing experience, but I never found out the guys name, I know he was Belgian, and won a stage that year (2004), but I had an hour with the team. Second best sporting experience in my life.

Just behind turning up at the Holiday Inn in Hull, to find I was sharing the Hotel with the GBRL team.

22 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

at least the woman livened up the action a bit - a load of blokes going past on bikes dressed like twits is not my idea of a spectator sport

It's the ideal spectator sport for any Yorkshireman.

Costs nowt to watch.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

19 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Sadly have never experienced it live. Remember watching a documentary about three years ago what amazed me was the amount of money being bet.

One old timer called it the greatest sport in the world. To each their own as the saying goes.

Was that the one set in Armagh? I watched that too if so.

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

It's the ideal spectator sport for any Yorkshireman.

Costs nowt to watch.

wife took the grandaughter to watch it once- £4 in fuel to get there and then said child wanted an ice cream! 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived