• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Damien said:

Was that the one set in Armagh? I watched that too if so.

Yes that was the one. The entertainment wasnt so much the sport but everything else that was going on.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

2 hours ago, Moose said:

………and they throw free gifts at you before the cyclists arrive…..win,win😀

It's also a participation sport. You've got to be on your toes to beat them nippy little French kids to the free stuff.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

That was just brilliant from Cavendish the way he jumped across to the Alpecin lead out when he realised they were the better option.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I commented on the BBC HYS that while Cav is the greatest sprinter, Merckx is the GREATEST athlete.

What compares to a Grand Tour? 

Eddy won nine consecutive GTs that he entered.

He won more One Day Classics than Coppi/Anquetil/Hinault.......combined etc.

But who will play Cav in the film of his career? 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

3 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

I commented on the BBC HYS that while Cav is the greatest sprinter, Merckx is the GREATEST athlete.

Chris Boardman......he will also finance the film by selling 10 of his overpriced bikes.

7 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

Merckx is the undisputed greatest ever. We'd be here all day if we listed all of his achievements but I would love to see Cav take two more stages before Paris then take the record on the Champs Elysées.

Ernie Wise's short fat hairy legs could probably have had a role as stunt double in the film.

Always liked Miguel Indurain , good climber and TT  with a very  good Banesto team now Moviestar at the time he won his 5 consecutive tours. Apparently his RHR was 28 beats per minute ,  Mr Average is around 70 bpm.

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Tour all over after Stage 8? 

Pogacar's to lose now but catastrophe is only ever a heartbeat away in road racing. Roglic has succumbed to his injuries and hasn't started today. Van der Poel has also left the race to prepare for the Olympics but that was always expected.

On 04/07/2021 at 16:12, JohnM said:

Did I hear correctly? Some connection between O'connor and rugby league? Parents from Liverpool? 

No. What has Liverpool to do with RL? O'Connor is Aussie, probably Irish ancestry, probably more to do with the Revolution.

That has to be the most tenuous link I have ever seen on this page.

Joe Biden has ancestors that might have played Northern Union, if they had been born in Hull.

Actually, skip that, I have a more tenuous link, Biden was born in the US State of Delaware, which was founded by the De La Warr family from (Now, East) Sussex.

https://www.dlwp.com/

44 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

No. What has Liverpool to do with RL? O'Connor is Aussie, probably Irish ancestry, probably more to do with the Revolution.

That has to be the most tenuous link I have ever seen on this page.

Joe Biden has ancestors that might have played Northern Union, if they had been born in Hull.

Actually, skip that, I have a more tenuous link, Biden was born in the US State of Delaware, which was founded by the De La Warr family from (Now, East) Sussex.

https://www.dlwp.com/

Odd reaction. You don't normally post in such an irritable way. Perhaps I could have put it better or you might have been sidetracked by being friendly and convivial with your landlord. 

1. Where did I say having parents from Liverpool was anything to do with RL? I heard that his parents originated from Liverpool. Can you confirm this or can you say where they are from? 

2.on the ITV 4 commentary at one point I thought I'd heard someone say his brother or some relative played rugby league. The toughness required of players of that sport was compared to the toughness O'connor the TDF. cyclist. 

3. If you don't know, just say,  "I don't know"

On 04/07/2021 at 16:12, JohnM said:

Did I hear correctly? Some connection between O'connor and rugby league? Parents from Liverpool? 

Didn't catch that but it was an outstanding ride from him.

Also good to see Cavendish's teammates getting him over the mountains in time to finish inside the elimination time.

15 hours ago, JohnM said:

Odd reaction. You don't normally post in such an irritable way. Perhaps I could have put it better or you might have been sidetracked by being friendly and convivial with your landlord. 

1. Where did I say having parents from Liverpool was anything to do with RL? I heard that his parents originated from Liverpool. Can you confirm this or can you say where they are from? 

2.on the ITV 4 commentary at one point I thought I'd heard someone say his brother or some relative played rugby league. The toughness required of players of that sport was compared to the toughness O'connor the TDF. cyclist. 

3. If you don't know, just say,  "I don't know"

Sorry, bad mood day.

18 hours ago, Ullman said:

Didn't catch that but it was an outstanding ride from him.

Also good to see Cavendish's teammates getting him over the mountains in time to finish inside the elimination time.

I believe Cavendish gave his green jersey to one of his team mates on Sunday for getting him inside the elimination time.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Pete Kennaugh gave a very interesting insight into the life of a cyclist in Le Tour yesterday.

He was asked if he ever watched the highlights of each stage after finishing, he said by the time they had finished, got to the hotel, has a massage, something to eat, put his feet up, caught up with family, relaxed, it was 10pm and time for bed, then it was up for breakfast, at 8 am, warm up, and interviews, then the race, repeat ad nauseum.

It's no wonder he retired.

Archived