Toulon to play in Elite 1?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

GTG now but I think what is happening in France is positive and I hope to get to the Final next year. I think a 12 team Elite 1 isn´t too far away. 

Absolutely positive and if Toulouse win promotion to super league for the 2022 season then RL in France  will gain yet more traction with headlines and media attention.

Hopefully this will spur more investment in the game at domestic level(elite1&2) with both private and state investment.

11 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Ahh Sheffield with that new ground will be ok. 

On Gateshead no.  This is for RL remember.  The football club are trapped playing in a ground way too big behind an athletics track with no rev generation.  

So builiding a snug 5000 3g facility for both football and league gives both a viable chance to be successful and sustainable.  

For Gateshead RL you re-enter L1 with an academy and a rival to catch on your doorstep. 300,000 playing budget.  Do what I would do anywhere  (season ticket over 18 £10 a game Kids free or second adult season ticket half price) aim for 500 paid season tickets and 1000 first season. 

Look to average 2000 in Championship and go from there. 

You would be generating spectator income of less than 100k on that model, so with coaches, staff, playing and stadium costs etc you will need about 400k input to break even pa when there is no sky money. Good on ya

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

How on earth can they exist on EUR 200k a year?? In the top division???

I mean 1 salaried coach on 30k will mean a fully loaded cost of 40k. A 2nd coach on préstatation of 1.5k per month = 18k That's more than a quarter of your budget before travel, école, juniors, food, electricity, medical.  And all of that is before we have even mentioned paying the players!!

The 200k figure is surely nonsense?

The clubs actually publish their budgets at the start if every season. The smaller clubs like Palau and St Gaudens did publish budgets of around 200k. But I suspect that is referring only to their top team playing roster, and only calculates player payments. Not transport, operating costs, junior teams and all the other things that you mentioned. 

No coach in elite 1 will be on 30k, the very top players are lucky to get 2k a month (foreigners included) average players are lucky to get 1k a month and the younger players a couple of hundred euros a month. 

7 minutes ago, barnyia said:

No coach in elite 1 will be on 30k, the very top players are lucky to get 2k a month (foreigners included) average players are lucky to get 1k a month and the younger players a couple of hundred euros a month. 

OK, but I basically meant as Directeur Sportif? (ie: dual rôle)

Most clubs would need someone performing the DS role for the whole club, not just the men's team, and one would imagine some clubs might look to split the role with 1st team coach.

If he's on less, then often there would be some kind of accommodation provided (or subsidised?) which still contributes to costs.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Did you know they’re not full time clubs in France? Some are barely semi pro. 

Clearly I do, but if you look at union clubs dotted down the Fédérale leagues, budgets will still be about 400k in F3, as travel, medical, etc still has to be paid. That is with players just on kilométrage and maybe tiny prime de match amounts. That's for guys just training 2 nights a week and travelling on a Sunday. 

200k will be swallowed up in no time 

I picked up some where that Toulon had raised their spending-up for the start of 2020 in Elite 2 - which never started. Would be very good for the code in that region with Avignon not too far away.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

1 hour ago, langpark said:

The clubs actually publish their budgets at the start if every season. The smaller clubs like Palau and St Gaudens did publish budgets of around 200k. But I suspect that is referring only to their top team playing roster, and only calculates player payments. Not transport, operating costs, junior teams and all the other things that you mentioned. 

Thanks @langpark that sounds more realistic. 

I am not sure why a budget is published that doesn't include a lot of the costs, but at least the amounts are more feasible.

Imagine the national conference but with grounds that resemble Keighley or batleys etc, with a bit of money given to them by the council for them to pay the first team and there you are. The french elite 1 comp (except the carcassonne and Avignon stadiums which are quite big) 

20 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Thanks @langpark that sounds more realistic. 

I am not sure why a budget is published that doesn't include a lot of the costs, but at least the amounts are more feasible.

Some of the bigger clubs junior section are a different entity. So doesn't appear in the budget, 

2 hours ago, audois said:

I picked up some where that Toulon had raised their spending-up for the start of 2020 in Elite 2 - which never started. Would be very good for the code in that region with Avignon not too far away.

Who’s backing it audois? Is it the union guy? 

Have they discontinued their youth setup or is that still going? Doesn’t make sense to throw everything at the first team and have no foundations beneath 

1 hour ago, DimmestStar said:

Toulon is not a major city. It's about half the size of Wakefield.

That is not true. Population is 176,198 according to wiki, meaning if they were to join Elite 1, they would be the 2nd largest city only behind Toulouse, and well ahead of Perpignan and Avignon, which I believe would be 3 and 4. 

5 hours ago, barnyia said:

Top players also get housing, car, insurance et lot more free. 

21 minutes ago, PECETTO said:

Top players also get housing, car, insurance et lot more free. 

The foreign players yes, and a few french players (cars but not housing) there's not much money left in elite-1 now. 

19 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

It doesn't really. That is seriously stretching it. It is about 440k in the Métropole TPM. 

Still substantial though, but your figure sounds like Wikipedia or something like that. 

Where are you getting that figure from?

Archived