Toulon to play in Elite 1?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Shouldn’t that be French Rugby league federation instead of “French rugby Union federation “?

Or are Toulon a dual rugby club like Leeds or harlequins of the past?

Google translate 😞 

23 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Well I would be taking over Crews obviously and want a lock in to SL on 50% funding  (like Leigh) but we have to have 13 Welsh eligible in matchday squad . Aim would be to package Nwc and WRL together for shirt sponsor and kit manufacturer so we have enough money to run two full time academies and a 1.5 million playing budget. 

OK, fight you for it lol.... or how 'bout 50-50?? 🙂

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

10 hours ago, langpark said:

I am surprised how pedantic some people are getting about whether Toulon has 4, 5 or 600k residents.  No matter which figure is correct, it is still huge when you consider there are village teams playing in Elite 1.

By "missed the boat", I take it to mean "missed the optimal timing".  It is never too late and we should never give up.

But yes, Montpellier and Lyon seem in steady decline in recent years, it would be great they could arrest that slide and eventually start building up again, and eventually reach Elite 1.  I see some people laugh at suggestions either of those two could reach Elite 1, but it is far more achievable than say, Paris or Bordeaux.

Plenty of good junior development in Lyon...........just nothing at the top of the tree

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

More how many teams / participants there are, but yeah who funds it 😀

I don’t know who funds it but if true it shows that somebody is and that funding RL activity in big cities far from the heartland can and is being found and is not pie in the sky la la land thinking.

3 minutes ago, barnyia said:

The fédération doesn't do much for junior development, its the clubs who do most of the work, usually by very keen volunteers and parents! 

Is there a French equivalent of sport England? Are government grants available for sporting programs?

The Pole Espoirs which are three - one based in Carcassonne, another up in Provence at Salon and the Creps set-up at Toulouse. I think Alan Walsh's lad is presently at the Carcassonne one. I remember years back when a teenage Olivier Elima used to stay at the Hotel were I worked. He stayed there during week studying at a local secondary school which was the base for the Pole Espoir training the lads after their lessons. At weekend Elima would go back up to the Aqutaine region and play for his local team.

Of course things have changed with the arrival of the Dragons who are about to open up a quite new Academy set-up at Cabastany near Perpignan with possibily RFL support.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Archived