Challenge Cup final 2022

Just reading the verbatim quotes from Ken Davy's press conference on Monday and this bit caught my eye: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/ken-davy-super-league-key-20927034

The Sky deal does permit us to have ten free-to-air matches next year and the year after that which I believe - and all of us at Super League - believes that it’s a real opportunity to widen the TV coverage of the sport. We don’t know exactly how that will pan out, but the Challenge Cup final will take place at the end of May next year, so after the final we’ve then got the opportunity to have virtually one game a fortnight going right through to the play-offs on free-to-air television.

That's new, isn't it? I hadn't heard that announced previously. 

Davy also says a Super League structure/number of teams change for 2022 is "very unlikely".

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Just reading the verbatim quotes from Ken Davy's press conference on Monday and this bit caught my eye: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/ken-davy-super-league-key-20927034

The Sky deal does permit us to have ten free-to-air matches next year and the year after that which I believe - and all of us at Super League - believes that it’s a real opportunity to widen the TV coverage of the sport. We don’t know exactly how that will pan out, but the Challenge Cup final will take place at the end of May next year, so after the final we’ve then got the opportunity to have virtually one game a fortnight going right through to the play-offs on free-to-air television.

Davy also says a Super League structure/number of teams change for 2022 is "very unlikely".

That would be good, if there’s a FTA channel prepared to show games (let’s hope if any are considering it they don’t come on this forum and read about how ###### the game is and how it’s dying). 

23 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The RFL renewed the Wembley deal but not sure if that fixes the timings. 

I presume we've got the date booked in as ordinarily May is wall to wall soccer at Wembley with play off finals and the FA competitions.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I presume we've got the date booked in as ordinarily May is wall to wall soccer at Wembley with play off finals and the FA competitions.

Good point. The L1 final is on Sat 21 May 2022, the L2 final on Sat 28 May, Championship on Sun 29 May. That appears to rule out "late May".

It would be pretty poor and detrimental on one another if Magic and the Cup Final were both scheduled for May. I’d hope it means we move Magic to July, where the weather is generally better and would help push the “festival of rugby league” rhetoric, as it’s been called before. 

On 29/06/2021 at 13:04, Man of Kent said:

Good point. The L1 final is on Sat 21 May 2022, the L2 final on Sat 28 May, Championship on Sun 29 May. That appears to rule out "late May".

FA Women's Cup Final just confirmed for 15th May.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 29/06/2021 at 13:04, Man of Kent said:

A Thursday night, perhaps ?

Seriously, I would've thought that May would be a very difficult time,

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It was never a trial though, was it? 

No. But it was moved to July in order to reverse the trend of falling crowds and it's had precisely one go at that. So just another example of RL having an idea and then a couple of years later having another one. We've got organisational ADHD.

Wembley: Rugby League Challenge Cup final to move from August to July in 2020 - BBC Sport

22 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It was never a trial though, was it? 

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

No. But it was moved to July in order to reverse the trend of falling crowds and it's had precisely one go at that. So just another example of RL having an idea and then a couple of years later having another one. We've got organisational ADHD.

Wembley: Rugby League Challenge Cup final to move from August to July in 2020 - BBC Sport

What @gingerjonsaid. 

It was moved to try and get a boost in crowds and has been given one Covid-restricted chance.

As others have posted, Wembley is chocker with football during May (add in FA Trophy/Vase to those already mentioned) so it can surely only mean playing the first weekend of May, with the resultant pressure on fitting the earlier rounds in. And if it ends up in the same month as Magic and Bash, well….

On 29/06/2021 at 12:24, Man of Kent said:

This may mean putting games on the free to air sky sports mix channel which happens anyway?

25 minutes ago, yipyee said:

This may mean putting games on the free to air sky sports mix channel which happens anyway?

Could be but you'd hope it may mean terrestrial coverage, ie the BBC, so that there would be almost Grandstand-esque regular coverage of rugby league on proper telly from the later rounds of the Challenge Cup through to the later rounds of Super League.  

Archived