RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/07/2021 at 13:08, gingerjon said:

No. But it was moved to July in order to reverse the trend of falling crowds and it's had precisely one go at that.

With Covid, it hasn't had as many as one.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

21 hours ago, Griff said:

With Covid, it hasn't had as many as one.

One this year but, yes, the decision has seemingly been made before that one has even happened.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

One this year but, yes, the decision has seemingly been made before that one has even happened.

Well, if you think this year is normal, you're right.

Personally, I have my doubts.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

One of the big problems for Older spectators is having to use the NHS app  which i think I have figured out - to prove you are vaccinated. It's a lot of hassle just to watch a sporting event.

Grear for younglings who have an aptitude for apps but testing for those of us from the LIfe on Mars generation...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please explain why we move to July and then decide to move it to May next year? 

9 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Can someone please explain why we move to July and then decide to move it to May next year? 

The article says: "One of the major complaints about the later date was the long periods between rounds, meaning excitement waned as the regular season reached the latter stages. It will also mean the event won't take place in the summer holidays when travel and accommodation is more expensive and potential spectators are on holiday.'

It may also be that the BBC wants an earlier final (perhaps - and this is my hope - with a view to airing Super League games after the final).

26 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The article says: "One of the major complaints about the later date was the long periods between rounds, meaning excitement waned as the regular season reached the latter stages. It will also mean the event won't take place in the summer holidays when travel and accommodation is more expensive and potential spectators are on holiday.'

It may also be that the BBC wants an earlier final (perhaps - and this is my hope - with a view to airing Super League games after the final).

Surely you just move the rounds along to lessen the gaps?

Also looking like it will be the early Bank Holiday weekend - hardly a cheap time for travel & accommodation

I wish they'd give us proper reasons, not rubbish like this

28 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Surely you just move the rounds along to lessen the gaps?

Also looking like it will be the early Bank Holiday weekend - hardly a cheap time for travel & accommodation

I wish they'd give us proper reasons, not rubbish like this

My thoughts exactly. I really like the June/July event. 

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

They couldn’t find a space in the calendar in May at Wembley which is not surprising at all. I want to go to Tottenham anyway, so I’m quite happy about that. The downside is we’re settling on a 68,000 crowd. 

I'm quite tempted by a White Hart Lane final but it's fairly obvious that the reason we're there is because they announced a move to May before realising that the FA have block booked the stadium for the whole month.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm quite tempted by a White Hart Lane final but it's fairly obvious that the reason we're there is because they announced a move to May before realising that the FA have block booked the stadium for the whole month.

I'll be kind and say that this is part of the agreement on the cancellation of the Ashes and that the RFL have been looking to get a major game there. I suspect Davy just made it public too early.

I haven't been as a neutral for a few years, having been lucky to see my own team in the final, but I am very tempted by this and this could be one of those moves that changes some thinking on the Cup Final.

Just now, Dave T said:

I'll be kind and say that this is part of the agreement on the cancellation of the Ashes and that the RFL have been looking to get a major game there. I suspect Davy just made it public too early.

I haven't been as a neutral for a few years, having been lucky to see my own team in the final, but I am very tempted by this and this could be one of those moves that changes some thinking on the Cup Final.

Assuming it's a weekend I can do, I'll definitely be there for this one. I've heard good things about White Hart Lane.

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They couldn’t find a space in the calendar in May at Wembley which is not surprising at all. I want to go to Tottenham anyway, so I’m quite happy about that. The downside is we’re settling on a 68,000 crowd. 

I *think* it is lower than that at 62k. 

This will be interesting to see how it goes, I'm certainly interested whether Wire get there or not, and maybe there will be increased demand without the £3.75 tickets for kids.

Just now, fieldofclothofgold said:

I think it could attract many who appear to have got out of the habit of going to Wembley 

Yep - Wembley is a huge, unfriendly and rather ugly stadium imho - although I must admit to enjoying Club Wembley when I last went. 

Very excited to see how this one goes.

I actually won 2 tickets to the postponed ashes test but I would have gone anyway. It looks a cracking venue and between a good will gesture to Spurs and the lower capacity but better designed stadium it could be a belter.

Archived