Challenge Cup final 2022

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I *think* it is lower than that at 62k. 

62,850 according to wiki. Given we don't have restrictions and won't lose seats for a screen then I think we can go with that as our target.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More info here. Betfred extend their sponsorship too:

The RFL are delighted to welcome a two-year extension to Betfred’s partnership with the Men’s, Women’s and Wheelchair Challenge Cups – which will include an historic Final at the superb Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in May 2022, before a return to Wembley Stadium in 2023.

The 2022 Betfred Challenge Cup Final will be played at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Saturday May 28 – the 121st Challenge Cup Final, marking the 125th anniversary of the first in 1897, and the first to be played in May since St Helens beat Wigan in Cardiff in 2004.

It will be the first Rugby League match at the state of the art, 62,850 capacity stadium – the third largest football stadium in England, which was opened in April 2019 – after the cancellation because of the Covid-19 pandemic of a Test that was scheduled for the 2020 Ashes Series between England and Australia.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/35857/betfred-extend-challenge-cup-sponsorship-to-include-finals-at-tottenham-and-wembley-

27 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Assuming it's a weekend I can do, I'll definitely be there for this one. I've heard good things about White Hart Lane.

It is a really good stadium. Not been there for football yet, but appreciably better than Wembley for the NFL.

The schlep from Seven Sisters tube is still a complete pain, of course.

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Will give it a miss,if your going to play it in London it should be at Wembley.

I generally agree. I'm glad they've announced it's back at Wembley the following year, but I don't mind 1 year at Tottenham. Especially if it is either to make up for the cancelled international match or due to Wembley not being available. 

I'm delighted with this - will be great to watch RL in a truly world class stadium (as it Wembley obviously, but great to experience new places).

Good stuff RFL - if Wembley doesn't work, Spurs Stadium is clearly the next best option for showpiece RL in London.

There can be a tendency for RL fans to always look for the negatives but I think this is one of those times people should just look at the positives. If you love Wembley then the final will be back there after one year. In the meantime fans now have an excuse to visit one of the best stadiums in the world. The new Wembley doesn't have the same feel that the old one did anyway so the only thing we'd be losing is the extra capacity but I don't think Challenge Cup finals sell out anymore.

Now they just need to get the Grand Final away from the dump that is Old Trafford and we'll be sorted.

36 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I generally agree. I'm glad they've announced it's back at Wembley the following year, but I don't mind 1 year at Tottenham. Especially if it is either to make up for the cancelled international match or due to Wembley not being available. 

Agreed, if this was permanent I’d be worried but for one year it’s an interesting ground to go to that might boost the attendance. 

Torn about this. I like the prestige of Wembley but it is far too big for us. A prestigious final should not be in a half or 66% full stadium.

I know our hand has been forced but think this is worth a test run anyway. If Tottenham is more suitable, then maybe we can look there longer term.

If we stay at Wembley, we need a big push for bigger crowds.

29 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

There can be a tendency for RL fans to always look for the negatives but I think this is one of those times people should just look at the positives. If you love Wembley then the final will be back there after one year. In the meantime fans now have an excuse to visit one of the best stadiums in the world. The new Wembley doesn't have the same feel that the old one did anyway so the only thing we'd be losing is the extra capacity but I don't think Challenge Cup finals sell out anymore.

Now they just need to get the Grand Final away from the dump that is Old Trafford and we'll be sorted.

Agree with all of that except the last paragraph. I don’t like OT either but it is the home of the GF, it’s the right size and easy to get to. Where else would you have it? 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Agreed, if this was permanent I’d be worried but for one year it’s an interesting ground to go to that might boost the attendance. 

I'll gamble that it's a sell out Eddie.

I reckon loads of people (RL fans) will be drawn to Spurs out of curiosity and (maybe) if we are any good at getting the message out there, Londoners will give it a go too.

I wonder if Spurs are playing (away) that weekend because if their not playing, we might get a considerable turnout from amongst their regular fans.

I'm excited by it.

3 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Torn about this. I like the prestige of Wembley but it is far too big for us. A prestigious final should not be in a half or 66% full stadium.

I know our hand has been forced but think this is worth a test run anyway. If Tottenham is more suitable, then maybe we can look there longer term.

If we stay at Wembley, we need a big push for bigger crowds.

It’s only the last 3 finals (pre covid) that had lower crowds. Before that they were all over 75k going back years and years. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I reckon a lot of neutrals may be tempted to pay a visit to Spurs new ground. I know I had loads of interest for the Ashes test that was meant to take place there.

Definitely, I’ll be able to take a few lads from Norfolk no bother, whereas everyone’s been to Wembley and it’s not the same draw for non-RL fans. 

Not sure picking the same date as the Champions League final is particularly sensible, given the struggle for media attention as it is. Although fair enough if we didn't really have a choice with dates.

I'd prefer Wembley but I was looking forward to trying Spurs' stadium for the WC so it's a pretty good 'next best thing'.

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Agree with all of that except the last paragraph. I don’t like OT either but it is the home of the GF, it’s the right size and easy to get to. Where else would you have it? 

Saying it's the home of the Grand Final isn't really an argument for its suitability. Start playing the Grand Final somewhere else and it's no longer the home of the Grand Final. It was the best choice at the time but now it's old, run down and long been surpassed by other modern stadia. I don't think our showpiece event should be played at a relic just because it's always been that way. If it had to remain in the north I'd prefer it to be at the Etihad. It's a modern ground with better facilities, it's also easy to get to. Granted you lose 10,000 from the attendance but it would be a guaranteed sell out and some tickets could be slightly increased to cover any potential loss from that.

On 04/07/2021 at 10:05, THE RED ROOSTER said:

One of the big problems for Older spectators is having to use the NHS app  which i think I have figured out - to prove you are vaccinated. It's a lot of hassle just to watch a sporting event.

Grear for younglings who have an aptitude for apps but testing for those of us from the LIfe on Mars generation...

One of the big problems for Younger spectators is ignorance.

44 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s only the last 3 finals (pre covid) that had lower crowds. Before that they were all over 75k going back years and years. 

Wasn't that including the 10 year club wembley season tickets (which ran out in 2018) though? 

1 hour ago, EagleEyePie said:

people should just look at the positives.

Good luck with that. Within hours of the announcement, the tube is a pain, there are other things on that day, Older fans cant use smart phones,  you can't pick the seat you want, it should be at Wemberlee, even though its already booked, it shouldn't be at Wemberlee because its too big, the stadium hasn't been feng shuied, Its my aunty's 100th birthday party on that date, the tickets are the wrong colour.........😄😄

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Good luck with that. Within hours of the announcement, the tube is a pain, there are other things on that day, Older fans cant use smart phones,  you can't pick the seat you want, it should be at Wemberlee, even though its already booked, it shouldn't be at Wemberlee because its too big, the stadium hasn't been feng shuied, Its my aunty's 100th birthday party on that date, the tickets are the wrong colour.........😄😄

It shouldn’t be in London it’s too far, the crowd will be ###### so have it at Leigh. 

I've been a couple of times to see Spurs and also for the NFL game, and I can confirm it's a truly awesome stadium, and plenty of luxury available for those that want to do it in style. 

For northerners coming via Euston/Kings, the walk through Tottenham from Seven Sisters tube will be a bit of a shock for some! 

Despite all that, I'm glad we're going back to Wembley as I think the stadium is spiritually ours too, and once we give that up, we'll lose something along the way. 

Not entirely sure how we go back in 2023 as surely the last 3 Saturdays in May are permanent fixtures for football, so it's either first weekend, or later in June. 

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

But apart from that, everything's fine! 😉😂

Bit like what have the Romans done for us? 😂

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Archived