Challenge Cup final 2022

Just now, Damien said:

I always think that everything about Wembley is too perfect. There is too much room, it is all too spaced out etc that means no atmosphere. It is like they've come up with a perfect design on paper but forgot about the intangibles.

I don't know how they managed to design walkways/concession areas so badly. That takes real talent.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

How did they fit it in at Wembley back in the day? Was it because there were less football matches at Wembley back then? Perhaps no play-off finals etc.?

By my memory the CCF was always either last Saturday in April or first Saturday in May, and they've remained free of football, even with the playoffs added at the end of May. 

Just now, Toby Chopra said:

By my memory the CCF was always either last Saturday in April or first Saturday in May, and they've remained free of football, even with the playoffs added at the end of May. 

You're exactly right.

But I suspect they've looked at the calendar and thought that whilst they want a May final - because nostalgia- they also don't want essentially pre-season tournament that a final right at the start of May would cause.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You're exactly right.

But I suspect they've looked at the calendar and thought that whilst they want a May final - because nostalgia- they also don't want essentially pre-season tournament that a final right at the start of May would cause.

Then I don't see how they get back to Wembley in May, given football will always have the last 3 weekends of the month sewn up (and often England games in early June.)

Either they haven't thought that far ahead (quite possible) or there's some other season adjustments planned. 

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

I always think that everything about Wembley is too perfect. There is too much room, it is all too spaced out etc that means no atmosphere. It is like they've come up with a perfect design on paper but forgot about the intangibles.

I also think they missed a trick by moving the players' tunnel to the side of the pitch. When the players came out at one end, it created a really long walk and really added to the theatre/drama of it IMO. Now they just come out at the side and before you know it they're lined up for the presentations. That long walk really added to the tension of the occasion for me.

7 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I also think they missed a trick by moving the players' tunnel to the side of the pitch. When the players came out at one end, it created a really long walk and really added to the theatre/drama of it IMO. Now they just come out at the side and before you know it they're lined up for the presentations. That long walk really added to the tension of the occasion for me.

I’ve never really thought of that but yeah it was ace back in the day. I suppose the pampered (football) players want to conserve energy now, like how they have a lift at the Ethiad. 

10 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Then I don't see how they get back to Wembley in May, given football will always have the last 3 weekends of the month sewn up (and often England games in early June.)

Either they haven't thought that far ahead (quite possible) or there's some other season adjustments planned. 

Didn't the publisher of this organ suggest the RFL is looking at a restructure of the Cup with seeded round-robins (not far off his wacky conferences idea - one that may actually work for a cup, not a league)? 

11 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

They also put the TV gantry on the wrong side of the pitch leaving whole bank of empty seats for the prawn sarnie brigade 10 mins either side of half time.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

They also put the TV gantry on the wrong side of the pitch leaving whole bank of empty seats for the prawn sarnie brigade 10 mins either side of half time.

The cameras would be staring straight into the sun for most games otherwise.

It really is a very poor stadium.

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Didn't the publisher of this organ suggest the RFL is looking at a restructure of the Cup with seeded round-robins (not far off his wacky conferences idea - one that may actually work for a cup, not a league)? 

It is probably based on the NHL's post war evolution.

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

He did. Obviously everyone has different ideas but imho the challenge cup always has been and always should be a straight knock out competition. 

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Yep the Club Wembley idea was a money grab first and TV spectacle way down the pecking order. I wonder how many Club Wembley members actually survived now it is in the second tranche? 

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Yep the Club Wembley idea was a money grab first and TV spectacle way down the pecking order. I wonder how many Club Wembley members actually survived now it is in the second tranche? 

Given the comparative number of Club Wembley tickets available for any event taking place there I'd say there was significant churn.

22 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Yes, this was a huge #### up. It was one of the unique features of Wembley and they just sacked it off. 

Like Damien, I think they have made it too comfortable, so much space, but that ruins the atmosphere etc.

Ive had some amazing times there and a great atmosphere is possible, but I never have a desire to go as a neutral because its hard work, unfriendly, expensive etc. I genuinely think it has had an impact on the crowds for the final. 

33 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I don't know how they managed to design walkways/concession areas so badly. That takes real talent.

Yep, for a new stadium, the claustrophobia effect they managed to create with some of the Toilet access ways was quite astounding. 

41 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Switch back to winter season 😉 

I suppose one should apply a certain degree of scepticism to the promise to be back at Wembley in 2023 anyway. 

If you are unhappy gingerjon and you would prefer The Millenium Stadium why not tread new ground and have the final at the Millenium Stadium, Featherstone.

1 minute ago, JonM said:

Switch back to winter season 😉 

I suppose one should apply a certain degree of scepticism to the promise to be back at Wembley in 2023 anyway. 

Indeed. Was going to make a similar point.

Who would be surprised if - after a successful final at new White Hart Lane (or whatever it's called) - the RFL announces next summer that Wembley has been binned off?

The tunnel is in the wrong place?  One more for the list, along with maybe the paint of the arch is the wrong colour? 

For me, I'll go wherever it is held if conditions permit. Twatenham apart, that is.   I like the idea of moving it between Cardiff, Murrayfield, Newcastle, etc but not because the seats have 3 mm more width or because the stand slope is 5 degrees too shallow or because I cant us my bus pass but because I just like the idea. 

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Every daytime match in summer is half unwatchable on TV with the shadow of the stand cast over the pitch. 

I can't understand how it's happened, it can't be that one London borough has an usual position relative to the literal sun. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

10 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Every daytime match in summer is half unwatchable on TV with the shadow of the stand cast over the pitch. 

I can't understand how it's happened, it can't be that one London borough has an usual position relative to the literal sun. 

of course it was all planned out as soon as the architects had their first meeting before a line was even drawn on the bluprint of the new wembley - when do them wretched northerners all come down here? what time does their game kick off? where will the sun be positioned in the sky? for no other reason than to ruin the cc final.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

17 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Euros game I recall was same

I don't understand the rationale at all.

It's too long between rounds to play in July, but we were happily playing at the back end of August until 2019.

We'll move it to a date in May when Wembley's not available.

We don't know the whole story here.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

15 minutes ago, Griff said:

I don't understand the rationale at all.

It's too long between rounds to play in July, but we were happily playing at the back end of August until 2019.

We'll move it to a date in May when Wembley's not available.

We don't know the whole story here.

It seems the contract with Wembley runs until 2027.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/53994/-challenge-cup-final-a-new-deal-and-a-new-competition-for-the-rfl-and-wembley-stadium

With bringing the final forward it may have been an inconvenient date.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived