Challenge Cup final 2022

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

If we have to move to a different stadium every year just to generate some interest then I think the problem lies with the core product, not the venue. 

That's why I said this was by accident. Wembley could be huge for the Cup final but you have to attract 40k+ neutrals and the game had given up on trying to invest in that. This move will probably attract another 10-15k neutrals who are either curious newbies or latent RL fans - but the fear is any success will mean less effort at Wembley the following year.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Yes you are right it is a different culture!

Just imagine the Commissioner of the NFL looking at RL and thinking ‘Geez, you’re actually telling me that these guys actually host a prestigious event in a stadium that is one third empty and then in a desperate attempt to increase the attendance they sell tickets dirt cheap …. Absolutely batsh*t crazy!’

Apologies to any Americans on here for my accent 😄

South Philly with a mixture of west Leeds me 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Just now, voteronniegibbs said:

Just out of curiosity,  what are "optics" ?

It's PR #### for appearances. Like have all the fans behind the camera at Headingley or putting Barrie and Terry pitchside (or anywhere near a TV camera) 😄 

I’m not sure why having only recently commissioned a powerful statue at Wembley, with all its tradition, that we’d consider abandoning it. It’s not like we play an annual test there. 

The purpose of Magic weekend was to spread the game to different venues/audiences………..the Challenge Cup shouldn’t be the same. 

As another poster put, the problem is with the product rather than the venue, one which I’m not sure how we address 

32 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I’m not sure why having only recently commissioned a powerful statue at Wembley, with all its tradition, that we’d consider abandoning it. It’s not like we play an annual test there. 

The purpose of Magic weekend was to spread the game to different venues/audiences………..the Challenge Cup shouldn’t be the same. 

As another poster put, the problem is with the product rather than the venue, one which I’m not sure how we address 

I think this was an unfortunately clash pretty much (or an ill thought through plan that didn't involve asking Wembley if May was okay). It may work to give the cup a short term boost of novelty which will attract interest.

However, I agree with you and the previous poster. The problem with making Wembley and the Challenge Cup final a success is going nowhere.

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

The venue for the final is part of the product though. And people do seem to be turned off by it. Even just reading this thread there ain't much love for Wembley as a stadium, even from those who want to stay there. 

46 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The venue for the final is part of the product though. And people do seem to be turned off by it. Even just reading this thread there ain't much love for Wembley as a stadium, even from those who want to stay there. 

The main issue with Wembley is undoubtedly the attendances in relation to its size which doesn't add too much to the atmosphere. I have no doubt this puts people off just as an electric Old Trafford Grand Final atmosphere makes that match more appealing. That is despite, even as a Man Utd fan, I could rhyme off the limitations with Old Trafford. 

After watching the Euros I do think the RFL have failed badly when it comes to the seating arrangements and its poor strategy of not opening up the stadium. The Euros Wembley games had smaller attendances but looked fuller and had a better atmosphere due to the spacing, I said at the time that there where a lot of lessons there for the RFL and I hope they take heed. As many of us have said before the RFL needs to have confidence in it ability to sell its product and should be expecting at least 70k so sell the stadium based on spreading this 70k out. This also looks much better to potential sponsors and TV viewers.

On a similar theme looking at 2022 I cant pick where I want to sit and it is best available seat only. If I want a £50 ticket I am being offered row 13. I've not got a clue where that is as there is no seating plan available, something else that is shocking, but presuming it is actually just row 13 of the bottom tier that seems very poor for a £50 seat and certainly not what I would want. For £65 it is row 8, again on the face of it very poor as I wouldn't want to be so low down. They are the best and most expensive ticket bands but on the face of it you can only get rubbish seats. I just find this all terrible in this day and age.

Therefore I will not buy now until I can get better seats. If something else comes up in the meantime I may not end up going at all. I just cant understand or agree with the way the RFL do things. Surely it is confident that it can shift 62,850 tickets in an exciting state of the art stadium? If so let people buy and pick!!

1 minute ago, Damien said:

The main issue with Wembley is undoubtedly the attendances in relation to its size which doesn't add too much to the atmosphere. I have no doubt this puts people off just as an electric Old Trafford Grand Final atmosphere makes that match more appealing. That is despite, even as a Man Utd fan, I could rhyme off the limitations with Old Trafford. 

After watching the Euros I do think the RFL have failed badly when it comes to the seating arrangements and its poor strategy of not opening up the stadium. The Euros Wembley games had smaller attendances but looked fuller and had a better atmosphere due to the spacing, I said at the time that there where a lot of lessons there for the RFL and I hope they take heed. As many of us have said before the RFL needs to have confidence in it ability to sell its product and should be expecting at least 70k so sell the stadium based on spreading this 70k out. This also looks much better to potential sponsors and TV viewers.

I always think that the RFL try with stuff like this but they maybe give the job to the kid on the apprentice scheme or something who doesn't quite get it. 

They have adopted the approach of trying to seat people together facing the cameras, but facilitate that by blocking off areas for sale through the process that contributes to limiting sales. Like only having 20k tickets for sale at the start when they are aiming for 40k sales. 

6 hours ago, Damien said:

On a similar theme looking at 2022 I cant pick where I want to sit and it is best available seat only. If I want a £50 ticket I am being offered row 13. I've not got a clue where that is as there is no seating plan available, something else that is shocking, but presuming it is actually just row 13 of the bottom tier that seems very poor for a £50 seat and certainly not what I would want. For £65 it is row 8, again on the face of it very poor as I wouldn't want to be so low down. They are the best and most expensive ticket bands but on the face of it you can only get rubbish seats. I just find this all terrible in this day and age.

Therefore I will not buy now until I can get better seats. If something else comes up in the meantime I may not end up going at all. I just cant understand or agree with the way the RFL do things. Surely it is confident that it can shift 62,850 tickets in an exciting state of the art stadium? If so let people buy and pick!!

on spurs website you can pick exact seat, not a bad one in the house!

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Just found this on the RFL website, when I put in £50 tickets it tries to put me in block 101, which on that map is pretty close to the last block I'd pick - I don't know how they can say they are the best available seats

imagesource.php?image=78217.jpg&_ga=2.240959620.624170416.1629057331-616966562.1616160446

Why can't we invest in a system where you can pick your own seats. FFS it's 2021.

Archived