Jump to content

Challenge Cup final 2022


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Every daytime match in summer is half unwatchable on TV with the shadow of the stand cast over the pitch. 

I can't understand how it's happened, it can't be that one London borough has an usual position relative to the literal sun. 

Euros game I recall was same

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I don't understand the rationale at all.

It's too long between rounds to play in July, but we were happily playing at the back end of August until 2019.

We'll move it to a date in May when Wembley's not available.

We don't know the whole story here.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Griff said:

I don't understand the rationale at all.

It's too long between rounds to play in July, but we were happily playing at the back end of August until 2019.

We'll move it to a date in May when Wembley's not available.

We don't know the whole story here.

It seems the contract with Wembley runs until 2027.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/53994/-challenge-cup-final-a-new-deal-and-a-new-competition-for-the-rfl-and-wembley-stadium

With bringing the final forward it may have been an inconvenient date.

     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It seems the contract with Wembley runs until 2027.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/53994/-challenge-cup-final-a-new-deal-and-a-new-competition-for-the-rfl-and-wembley-stadium

With bringing the final forward it may have been an inconvenient date.

So why make the change, leaving the July date completely untested ?

Why not play in early June ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Griff said:

So why make the change, leaving the July date completely untested ?

Why not play in early June ?

World Cup? New structures? Dunno.It's rugby league and it has put me in a permanent state of ennui.Sorry.

  • Like 1

     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Angelic Cynic said:

World Cup? New structures? Dunno.It's rugby league and it has put me in a permanent state of ennui.Sorry.

Fair enough.

It fits in with the pattern of a new fixture format every year,

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm excited by the decision to play (for one year) at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Anyone who has seen it knows that it is the most visually stunning arena in the UK.

I'm also pleased that the final will be played in May. Throughout the years and decades of success of the challenge cup the competition always concluded in May. No long gaps between rounds and people always knew when it was going to be played.

Of course the innovative decision way back to take the final to Wembley has been an unqualified success. We need to be back there in 2023 and onwards but for a one off year and to get the final played when it should be ...in the month of May.....I think this is a brilliant idea.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Fair enough.

It fits in with the pattern of a new fixture format every year,

Maybe Magic has disappeared.Some may like that.Not a lot.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rfl-challenge-cup-final-wembley-21291358

     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The play-offs were initially all played over one long weekend and I don't think that's the case any more - plus the National League play-off is now at Wembley and it didn't previously exist. So, essentially, that's now an extra weekend just for those and another for the FA Women's Cup.

Yeah I’d forgot about the National League one, albeit that was at Bristol City (in front of fans) last season.

Think it’s a pitch preservation thing with the play offs now, though it still caught me by surprise when checking the dates this morning and initially thinking Leigh and Bolton would manage to double-book me (yeah, right!)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

RLWC 22

Because RLWC 21 is being played in October, we can't play the Cup Final in June??

That's less credible than the official statement.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

I'm excited by the decision to play (for one year) at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Anyone who has seen it knows that it is the most visually stunning arena in the UK.

I'm also pleased that the final will be played in May. Throughout the years and decades of success of the challenge cup the competition always concluded in May. No long gaps between rounds and people always knew when it was going to be played.

Of course the innovative decision way back to take the final to Wembley has been an unqualified success. We need to be back there in 2023 and onwards but for a one off year and to get the final played when it should be ...in the month of May.....I think this is a brilliant idea.

100% with you this is fantastic its going to give a big boost to the cup.

Also finding new sponsors with an association to a major Premiership football team in London is a lot easier than Wembley.

BRILL WELL DONE RFL 🙂

 

Paul

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great decision on location and date, bought my tickets this morning, really looking to visiting a new major stadium. Circumstances may have forced their hand, but well done RFL for sticking with London.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a serious note seeing the comments about the Wembley design many on here are right.

* Putting the cameras opposite Club Wembley is a disaster

* The players area is also opposite the TV cameras (Total amateur hour in this day and age) This means a huge 20m gap in the LED advertising serious sponsors do want to get involved or those that do complain especially when support staff are milling around in front of their LED message having paid thousands for it.

 

Things like the above is why some clubs in SL are held back with badly designed stadiums or simply old ones that are well passed their sell by date.

 

Paul

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a Wigan fan who has been to many cup finals at the Old Wemberlee, I can confirm as an eye witness that on 8  sunny days at least, the stadium roof  cast a shadow over part of the pitch, usually the part occupied by our opponents.😃😃

Edited by JohnM

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also have been to White Hart Lane for the NFL. so be prepared for a 40 minute walk from Seven Sisters Underground station up the High Road in a straight route. It is one of the less salubrious areas of North London. Still as this will be played in broad daylight stick to the High Road and follow the crowd and you will have no reason to worry. It might be cheaper for you to eat before going into the ground. There is a Sainsbury's the other side of the ground to the North. Spurs is cashless payment only and, food and drink expensive, as with all Soccer clubs.

If your wondering why not use White Hart Lane station, be prepared for a long wait when there is a big crowd in attendance and I am sure the COVID conscious reading this will not like to be crushed like a sardine into a carriage when you finally get in (I can post from experience). So my advice is take the walk in the open air. to Seven Sisters.

It could well be this is a dry run for the RLWC semi-final in 2022 with the possibility that WHL will be preferred to the Arsenal stadium. The Spurs ground was built as a multi-sport stadium part funded by the NFL who are contractefd to play two games a season (COVID permitting). They are also due to host Saracens v Bristol Bears in March and the European Cup Rugby Finals in 2023.

It can also be viewed as a warning shot to Wembley, I was in the minority on here underwhelmed by the Wembley experience this year, but perhaps this board is not reflective of feedback and this could be the RFL message to Wembley to raise your game or we go elewhere. Daniel Levy would certainly welcome a long term arrangement...

  • Thanks 1
Quote

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell
FjKZzCd.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

There’s also Northumberland Park railway station about 10 mins walk away. Quite an easy connection from Kings Cross & Euston.

The website suggests that one as well as Tottenham Hale.

It seems a lot more accessible than Wembley.

  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

There’s also Northumberland Park railway station about 10 mins walk away. Quite an easy connection from Kings Cross & Euston.

How often do they run from Kings cross or Euston, to Northumberland Park? Is it a regular service?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The website suggests that one as well as Tottenham Hale.

It seems a lot more accessible than Wembley.

Really? Wembley has its downsides but it is very accessible from north and south.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

Really? Wembley has its downsides but it is very accessible from north and south.

Aye, I may have been unduly harsh on it there. Too many memories of ridiculous squeezes at Wembley Park.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...