Sun 4th Jul: SL: St Helens v Wigan Warriors KO 19:30 (TV)

Who will win?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/21 at 19:00

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Padge said:

Interpretations drift in and drift out, never rely on the Laws of the Game to give you a definitive as you will never find it. 

Ain't that the truth.

Went as expected, as overwhelmingly predicted by the forum poll. Obviously, Saints realise that as a triumph, it counts for nothing, just like stealing the smarties from a child. 

We clearly have problems. Injuries, yes, but deeper than that. Why did Wane quit? Why no leadership?  Is the coach free to run the team as he wants? 

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

No you are the one who is still wrong. Try reading all the Disciplinary minutes etc. Try listening to the explanations given by the referees

You’re moving the goal posts, you said that not wrapping the arms had been an offence since the shoulder charge was rightly banned!

It wasn’t, at the time of the ban there was absolutely no mention of defenders having to wrap their arms around the ball carrier, not in the rules, not in general discussion and not in disciplinery reports.

While were at it, you say the shoulder charge was “rightly banned” can you reference any scientific papers, medical cases or a number of players who were injured as a result of a shoulder charge that wasn’t already covered by the rules regarding contact to the head!

I researched it at the time and there were no studies, Medical or Scientific, that offered any kind of evidence to support the notion that shoulder charges were the cause of a surfeit of injuries in either code of Rugby, NFL, NHL, Ausie Rules, Gaelic Football or any other contact sport.

There was only a knee jerk reaction to 2 tackles, one in both hemispheres, Greg Inglis on Dean Young and Rangi Chase on Tangi Ropati. Both of which were already covered by rules regarding contact to the head of an opponent.

Now, I know the shoulder charge is gone, but you say it was”rightly banned” and many people disagree with that and feel the game has been sanitised beyond recognition! So can you offer me any solid evidence, that supports your opinion, in the form of a case study(ies) Medical Cases or Scientific Publication that support that!

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Why did Wane quit?

I thought Lenagan wanted him out as the fans weren’t being entertained by his style of rugby. Then Edwards did the dirty of course.

47 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The Ginger Pearl gets Wigan off the mark. To late to affect the result, but it ain't a nilling.

Is the correct Oxymoron now The Bald Pearl?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

5 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Is the correct Oxymoron now The Bald Pearl?

Once ginger, forever ginger.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, dkw said:

There's still a few whisps up there, so maybe the balding pearl? thinning pearl?

This is what you get when you google bald ginger (ignoring the adult results):

7BC20661-CE13-4789-B3CB-CCF0CE7F84F6.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

Look at the incident from which Isa was sin binned. After the tip tackle he tackled Grace who held his head footballer style although there was clearly no contact.

That one was an accidental clash of heads after Isa had tackled Grace (legally) who was lay on the ground with no one else touching him. I think on that occasion he did take a knock. The tip tackle was correctly dealt with of course.

1 minute ago, Cheshire Setter said:

That one was an accidental clash of heads after Isa had tackled Grace (legally) who was lay on the ground with no one else touching him. I think on that occasion he did take a knock. The tip tackle was correctly dealt with of course.

Tip tackle ? , I thought the term was spear tackle , should have been a straight red 

46 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Went as expected, as overwhelmingly predicted by the forum poll. Obviously, Saints realise that as a triumph, it counts for nothing, just like stealing the smarties from a child. 

We clearly have problems. Injuries, yes, but deeper than that. Why did Wane quit? Why no leadership?  Is the coach free to run the team as he wants? 

Same coach and leadership as the side that was slightly short kick away from a GF win

9 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I dont like this aspect of our game and think the rule should change that a player has to be on their feet to be tackled, it would certainly make tackles around the goal line more interesting 

49 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

You’re moving the goal posts, you said that not wrapping the arms had been an offence since the shoulder charge was rightly banned!

It wasn’t, at the time of the ban there was absolutely no mention of defenders having to wrap their arms around the ball carrier, not in the rules, not in general discussion and not in disciplinery reports.

While were at it, you say the shoulder charge was “rightly banned” can you reference any scientific papers, medical cases or a number of players who were injured as a result of a shoulder charge that wasn’t already covered by the rules regarding contact to the head!

I researched it at the time and there were no studies, Medical or Scientific, that offered any kind of evidence to support the notion that shoulder charges were the cause of a surfeit of injuries in either code of Rugby, NFL, NHL, Ausie Rules, Gaelic Football or any other contact sport.

There was only a knee jerk reaction to 2 tackles, one in both hemispheres, Greg Inglis on Dean Young and Rangi Chase on Tangi Ropati. Both of which were already covered by rules regarding contact to the head of an opponent.

Now, I know the shoulder charge is gone, but you say it was”rightly banned” and many people disagree with that and feel the game has been sanitised beyond recognition! So can you offer me any solid evidence, that supports your opinion, in the form of a case study(ies) Medical Cases or Scientific Publication that support that!

I can add to this as it maybe a knee jerk reaction and similar to a 2 footed lunge in football, when done correctly is perfectly fine, when it goes wrong it can end a players career or can lead to a lengthy spell on the injured list.

In both cases of shoulder charges and 2 footed lunges in football the attacker can change position and once your committed you cant pull out and its this lack of safety and a certainty that it can go wrong that a welfare decision was made by rule makers. 

Lets also remember FT players now spend all day in the gym becoming faster, stronger and more powerfull than ever. Rules need to change with the times.

11 minutes ago, JohnM said:

As in "lost". So what has changed?

A missed kick and a lucky bounce for saints stopping Wigan following up their LLS win. Wigan are going through a bad patch in a period of quick turn around games and released players for England game. Wigan will turn the corner and be better for it

2 hours ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

Coote stays down “injured” and then back on his feet seconds later to attempt the penalty. The game is going soft and cheats like him don’t help.

He was briefly immobile.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Referees get a load of stick, Hicks come out in the press in 2019 and Child did last year yet we’ve got two separate players abusing the referee on social media. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Chris_hankinson/status/1411783289694834688

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeBurgess1/status/1411766360938409986

Do we just not bother pulling up players for this?

4 minutes ago, yipyee said:

A missed kick and a lucky bounce for saints stopping Wigan following up their LLS win. Wigan are going through a bad patch in a period of quick turn around games and released players for England game. Wigan will turn the corner and be better for it

You realise that didn’t happen how you’re saying it, right? The score was 4-4, so Wigan weren’t “stopped” from winning anything. 

i'll take that score as a win seeing as we played the ref as well, saints pretty poor most of the time even against 11 men, got to put hastings back in the halves and give hanley a go at full back, looking at the opposition wigan with hardaker, field, bateman and club in the side will still make the top four.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Archived