Mamo signs for Castleford

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

Question is, does Powell want him for Cas or not want him for Wire? bit of a strange one considering the coaching situation next year.

If he wanted to keep him for Wire why would they have signed Mata-utia for 2022 along side re-signing King.

He might have wanted to keep him as a squad player, but thats not what Mamo wants.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

58 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

prefers King and Matuitia as starting centres.

Mamo is in great form. He’s always been a threat with ball in hand, it’s just his defensive weaknesses that came under scrutiny. However, he seems to have worked on that since he nailed the right centre spot.

I think Powell believes that Mata’utia has the better all-round game and is more versatile.

2 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Mamo is in great form. He’s always been a threat with ball in hand, it’s just his defensive weaknesses that came under scrutiny. However, he seems to have worked on that since he nailed the right centre spot.

I think Powell believes that Mata’utia has the better all-round game and is more versatile.

Yeah definitely, Matuitia looked pretty weak defensively earlier this year too but has fixed up in the last month.  He is prone to rushing out of the line at times.

Probably just coaches preference, both good and in form players imo.  I think when Powell wanted to sign Mamo previously he was probably looking at him as a full back.

Oddly I could see both sets of fans been happy with the change over.

7 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

4 hours ago, Gates1 said:

Yeah definitely, Matuitia looked pretty weak defensively earlier this year too but has fixed up in the last month.  He is prone to rushing out of the line at times.

Probably just coaches preference, both good and in form players imo.  I think when Powell wanted to sign Mamo previously he was probably looking at him as a full back.

Oddly I could see both sets of fans been happy with the change over.

Mata'utia has, recently, been playing at the level that he was signed to achieve. In the semi final against Wire he was brilliant, Powell knows a good player from an average one. They work well together.

Archived